THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    I want ALL opinions please-I'd like another handgun.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want ALL opinions please-I'd like another handgun.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that said the only thing he didn't like about the Glock is the creep of the trigger. Said it seems to pull and pull, then finally go bang.

Thoughts?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc:

I'm not a Glock "apologist" nor a confirmed Glock addict, but I have shot a lot of pistol rounds over the years and am quite new to using Glocks. Most of the time these days, I'm shooting revolvers.

For me, I find shooting a Glock much easier than shooting most 4 to 8 pound factory 1911 triggers. For instance, although not a pistol, I was sighting in a Bushmaster AR-15 the other day with a creepy 9 lb trigger and it gave me fits getting it to go off smoothly, I've grown used to lighter trigger pulls and shooting a heavy pull is a real problem for me. OTOH, shooting a Glock is kind of like.....apply a steady pull, similar to shooting a double action revolver, it's hard to describe, but its more like a "pull through" motion you use on a shotgun, and it goes bang. It really isn't "creep" like in normal triggers, it is just the way it is designed to work. This is an opinion, but I think under the stress of combat the "pull through" of the Glock would be easier to accomplish FOR A LESS EXPERIENCED SHOOTER than the heavier pulls of the typical 1911 type trigger.

Bottom line is, the Glock trigger pulls are certainly different, and that difference could be a problem if you're going back and forth between trigger types all the time, but I find the Glock easy to learn to shoot and actually easier to shoot than heavier traditinal triggers. Obviously others may have a different opinion.

Just for the hell of it, I am sitting here dry firing a Glock and a Springfield "G.I" 1911 which, BTW, has a much superior trigger to the average GI gun....I'm not sure it that is luck of the buy or if they're all that way....first one of their lower end guns I've owned, and I bought it only because it was used, cheap, and stainless. At any rate, by the barest (mostly because this Springfield has a far better than average trigger) I'd choose the Glock trigger for fast shooting, especially on moving targets and this from a 50 year 1911 shooter.

As I said in an earlier post, try one out. If you're near NE Texas you can come shoot my .40 model 23 Glock (with your ammo if you really want to shoot it a lot, lol) until you've satisfied your curiosity about using Glocks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, while we're at it, the only real bitch I've got about Glocks is the "reloadability", the magazines are some kind of plastic and are "sticky" when you try to switch them quickly. OTOH, I am not into any kind of "action" shooting, I'm too old and fat to run around. I sometimes carry an extra mag for the Glock (or any other brand I may carry) when I'm on a trip but my opinion is, if I can't handle it with 13 rounds, then I'm probably dead.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I have a friend that said the only thing he didn't like about the Glock is the creep of the trigger. Said it seems to pull and pull, then finally go bang. Thoughts?

animal

That's good!

If you want to feel creep, try my Ruger 77R. Mad

Just buy a Glock 19/23 and get it over with. banana

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 2 kimber 45's one is the custom and one is the custom 11 both are fine quality pistols. I have probably owned 20 other 45's in the past I love the kimbers and they are very accurate pistols. These are the best shooting 45's I have ever had. I have not found any ammo they dont like. When I leave home I usually carry the custom 11 with me. I have quite a selection of other pistols but the kimbers are my favorite.

Posts: 12 | Location: MS. | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of oejeffrey
posted Hide Post
ok well in my opionin this is simple
get a gun with the following:
Sights you can see
A trigger you can pull
A grip you can hold

That really covers it allright there. A 22 will kill yuou like anything else will. As 80% of all mob hits are done with a 22, I don't worry about the caliber.

Glocks...wellI do not like the trigger but I refer you to what I said earlier. I don't like them but I know they will never stop running till they run out of ammo.

Para...people used to say what a sweet trigger but I disagree. I would put my Kimber up agianst the paras trigger anyday.

The 1911. Read my signature and see how I feel about that. Go shoot a Kimber and feel the difference. The "one" para I shot the trigger was so smooth I never knew when it was going to go off. The kimber has a little take up and then it stops...a little more pressure and then it breaks like a glass rod.

Now I do not know if they all pull like that but that is what my experience with what those two triggers are like.

Carry weight...I am a big guy at 6'2 and 320 my alloy Kimber doesn't really make a weight difference to me....that may be different to you. I like the heft...Hell my Kimber fully loaded with one in the pipe is lighter than a XD 5 inch 45 empty.
Go do some test firing. Heck that is a lot of fun anyway !!!!!!

Jeffrey WIlson N.R.A. Life Member
Kimber CDP II 1911
Because shooting someone with something other than a .45 is such a waste of time...they might live ?!!?!?
Custom A.R. Built by Mr. D. It is nice to reach out and touch someone at a 1000 yards.
Criminals rely on the kindness & pity of society.

Posts: 14 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote