Find
Notify
Tools

SW1911 Extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Some of you have seen that I have had a problem with the magazines that came with my pistol. Of course, I have been looking very closely at the pistol to understand what might have happened. The first thing I notice is that the extractor is not at all adjusted like my other 1911s. By that I mean that the claw is pushing up against the side of the cases rather than the extractor slot. I think this is forcing the spent cases down as the slide cycles back. However, I also notice that if I were to file back the claw the slot wouldn't hold the cartridge in place as it is too deep. I would like to buy another extractor, extractor spring and extractor pin but going through the French importer is an exercise in frustration. Anybody know where I can get these parts in the USA? Also, anybody know where I can get some good instructions on removal and replacement of a S&W external extractor?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't tell you how to remove the extractor in the instruction manual ?? It shouldn't be difficult but it's something that should be done to remove dirt and to properly lubricate. I still think the magazine problem is improper heat treating . Extractors sometimes are improved by polishing with a stone .Rarely do you have to do more than polish.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1073 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Just as info for AR members, Brownells doesn't list any parts for the SW1911. I'll try the gun specific forums, maybe they will know something.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Just as info for AR members, Brownells doesn't list any parts for the SW1911. I'll try the gun specific forums, maybe they will know something.

Wink try http://www.thehighroad.org/

I just read you post about 'cracked feed lips' on your Smith mags..

Does this extractor problem occur with your other mags.?

If your retailer has other S&W 1911's ask to see if they have the same problem.

Try searching for Kimber extractor problems as S&W makes a lot of parts for them

NEXT TIME:

Armurerie de la Bourse
37 Rue Vivienne
Paris, France 75002
Phone: 42-367983
Fax: 42-361801
Email: obriot@armureriedelabourse.com
Rivolier S.A.
Z.1. Les Collonges - B.P. 247
42173 Saint Just - Saint Rambert
France
Phone: 33-477-36-0340
Fax: 33-477-36-0346
Email: swillmes@rivolier.fr

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
External 1911 extractors are not standard and every company that offers one does it a little differently. The only place to buy one is from Smith & Wesson. If the extractor was cut out of spec as you seem to indicate, a new one probably is the only solution. I haven't handled the S&W 1911, but I doubt there is any means to adjust the tension since the design utilizes a spring, unlike the traditional 1911 design.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
CSH, you are right that adjusting tension cannot be done by simply bending the extractor. And, if one wants more tension you will have to add material to the slot, or get an extractor that hasn't yet had the slot filed in and file it oneself. Which I am willing to do of course but getting an unshaped S&W 1911 extractor probably means that you know someone at the factory or whoever their subcontractor is for this one. I still have hope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try to email S&W's customer service department and explain your situation. From a lot of the reports I've read, they are pretty responsive these days, and it won't cost you anything to ask.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
What kind of mags did S&W supply with the gun and what kind of mag problems were you having? Mine came with one Wilson, and one Novak Action Mag. The Wilson's are fine, and the Novak sucks. As for the extractor, many people bitch about them because they are external, but you are the first person I've heard of who's had problems with them. S&W customer service is excellent, so if at all possible, send them the gun and they will make things good.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about an update WINK

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I am in Southern Sudan, then Kenya until late this week and have no idea what news the dealer may have received from SIDAM, the S&W importer in France. However, I am now pretty much convinced that it is not an inferior magazine problem but a pistol problem which caused the cracked mags. I will certainly be taking it up with both dealer and importer when I get back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Unfortunately I am in Southern Sudan, then Kenya until late this week and have no idea what news the dealer may have received from SIDAM, the S&W importer in France. However, I am now pretty much convinced that it is not an inferior magazine problem but a pistol problem which caused the cracked mags. I will certainly be taking it up with both dealer and importer when I get back.

OUCH

Hope it turns in your favor soon beer

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Got back today. As stated on the parallel thread, SIDAM, the S&W importer has supplied two Wilson mags as replacements.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
A little update for those who were following the saga. I tried some other 1911 mags in the pistol and identified that the problem was not the mags, but the pistol itself. I took it to my dealer who sent it the importer SIDAM. Word came down today, rather than fix it they are giving me a brand new pistol! No complaints from me, although I'll probably never know precisely what the problem was. I don't expect to take delivery of the replacement pistol until the end of the month.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Glad your being taken care of.
S&W seems to take good care of their customers.

Posts: 1073 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote