Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Alright.....I've been getting a lot of mixed responses regarding Crimson Trace grips. I'm getting my CHL soon and I will be buying a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP. I'm also getting a smaller "boot gun", but that's another subject. I thought I was pretty dead set on getting the Kimber Custom Crimson Carry, but now I'm not so sure. Before I drop $1,000 on a pistol.....I want to be sure.

Question:
So what is your honest, no BS opinion?

Choices:
Kimber WITH Crimson Trace grips
Kimber WITHOUT Crimson Trace grips

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot both of them in the light and dark under varying conditions. I wouldn't hazard to tell you which you might prefer.

My wallet/carry vote on a daily basis, depending on weather is one of my two Kimber Custom IIs, a Remington Rand, one of my Para 14-45s, or my SA Ultra Compact. None of them have Crimsons on them anymore. Some have night sights and some don't. For what it's worth, I shoot my best speed drills and practical with the Kimber Custom IIs that have had a bit of spring tinkering. Good value for the money.

If you have the extra money and can't make up your mind by trying different ones, I suggest getting the Traced version and if you don't find that a useful option, the 1911 marketplace will be glad to supply you with any other sorts of grips as you might ever desire and buy your laser grips or you can just take the battery out if it feels comfy but you don't like the laser.

I found the Crimsons a dead end for my purposes, some people like them. As I'm not you, I refuse to suggest or tell you what to buy other than Wilson or Chip magazines, depending on which run better for you.

I grew up as a pistol shooter with fixed sight 1911 Government issue guns. When I do speed drills I can't even recall sight pictures. I know that I notice finding the red dot can be hard to do near as fast as not even noticing I used my sights and I rarely go outside of the 9 ring. You're background might be entirely different from mine.

I abstained from voting for above reasons. You'll figure it out for yourself what works.

(One of the good Colt .380s is a good extra to have for when you want to wear jogging shorts etc. in Texas summers, as a fellow Texan. Might not be perfect, but they are guns and they fit in your pocket nicely.)

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Precision Man:
Shoot both of them in the light and dark under varying conditions. I wouldn't hazard to tell you which you might prefer.

My wallet/carry vote on a daily basis, depending on weather is one of my two Kimber Custom IIs, a Remington Rand, one of my Para 14-45s, or my SA Ultra Compact. None of them have Crimsons on them anymore. Some have night sights and some don't. For what it's worth, I shoot my best speed drills and practical with the Kimber Custom IIs that have had a bit of spring tinkering. Good value for the money.

If you have the extra money and can't make up your mind by trying different ones, I suggest getting the Traced version and if you don't find that a useful option, the 1911 marketplace will be glad to supply you with any other sorts of grips as you might ever desire and buy your laser grips or you can just take the battery out if it feels comfy but you don't like the laser.

I found the Crimsons a dead end for my purposes, some people like them. As I'm not you, I refuse to suggest or tell you what to buy other than Wilson or Chip magazines, depending on which run better for you.

I grew up as a pistol shooter with fixed sight 1911 Government issue guns. When I do speed drills I can't even recall sight pictures. I know that I notice finding the red dot can be hard to do near as fast as not even noticing I used my sights and I rarely go outside of the 9 ring. You're background might be entirely different from mine.

I abstained from voting for above reasons. You'll figure it out for yourself what works.

(One of the good Colt .380s is a good extra to have for when you want to wear jogging shorts etc. in Texas summers, as a fellow Texan. Might not be perfect, but they are guns and they fit in your pocket nicely.)

Thanks for all the info, it was helpful.

In regards to the .380 and jogging shorts. haha. Actually, I wear jeans and boots 365 days a year, regardless of temperature. That's the reason I'm also getting a boot gun, for the summer when I can't carry my 1911 under my jacket. I'm probably going to be getting the North American Arms "Pug" mini revolver .22 magnum. I'm going to have a leather pouch sewn into the inside of every pair of boots I own so that I can just slip it into whatever pair I'm wearing that day.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem. Hell, I've got a Texas Deputy fishing buddy that has carried a Sig .40 since they came out. I can't stand the thing for a number of reasons but he likes it and the one time he had to shoot a crackhead rapist it dropped him like a sack of rocks. Of course damn near everybody else in his department carries Glocks and Rugers and I don't like those either. That's why I'm not quick to tell people what THEY should carry though I'll say what I do and don't like.

Happy Shooting and legal Carrying

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote