New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Reducers for SIG 226
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experiences with recoil reducers installed on pistols? The two types I have found are:

1) a stainless steel guide rod replacement filled with mercury and steel bals and

2) a stainless steel guide rod replacement with a rubber buffer

Surprisingly the second one is more expensive than the first. Thanks for the input!

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the Sig will ever be used for self-defense don't mess with it.

If you or a female are having trouble with recoil, you're not holding the gun properly.

Head on over to www.brianenos.com/ and start reading up in the newbie section.

A careful reading and practice will cure any problems.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 226 is a 9 mm - you don't need reduction on a popgun

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc,

You might want to check your facts on the 226. Mine is a 40 S&W and it is also sold 357 SIG configuration too along with the 229.

Cool,

Thanks for the link. I will take it into consideration. However, I regularly shoot a S&W Model 60, 357, 3" bbl without too much of a problem with the exception of the 10 Lb trigger pull on it.

The recoil reducers I have found were by EFK Fire Dragon, Sprinco, Harrt (can't find a link anywhere), Steve Bedair. All of these either work by adding weight or some sort of spring/buffer mechanism. Prices vary greatly too from about $25-$85.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jcsabolt-2 I'll just say that I was there when ol Col. Cooper and SKINNY Hackthorn were busting caps into catus,

A lot of 'great ideas' have come, gone and come back.

I've owned or tried every trick piece of shit that came down the trail.

The ONLY thing I've found that helps one to become a master of the gun is practice.

We are all fortunate to be living beside the greatest pistoleros of all times.
A few have created websites to share the knowledge.
Most are training the trainers for Delta, SS, FBI, Navy Seals...

The military guys say it takes 7000 perfect repetitions to forge a muscle memory that will be there when the shit hits the fan. The draw, the sight picture, the squeeze of the trigger, the reload, tap rack,.........

http://www.ohiouspsa.com/

DVC

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sig p226 is available in 9mm, 40, and .357 sig.

In my opinion, none of those cartridges are potent enough to require recoil reduction. the .357 sig has some snap to it, but nothing anywhere near uncomfortable, at least for me.

if you are asking about recoil reducers for another reason, say, emptying a clip faster and retaining a little more accuracy, i don't think you'll be very happy with either of those two slide options. the only thing i might recommend would be a compensator for the end of the gun, it should help muzzle climb and reduce some felt recoil. obviously this will add weight and size to the pistol, so its a little bit of a trade off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recoil buffer serves a duel purpose. This is a quote from the late Larry Bullock, president of Buffer Technologies http://www.buffertech.com who designed and developed buffers. His company sells buffers for many weapons, some of which have no issue with felt recoil.

"What Is A Recoil Buffer?? What Can It Do For Your Gun?

A Recoil Buffer is a product designed by Buffer Technologies to cushion the trauma your bolt and receiver experience during normal cartridge discharge.
Each carefully designed buffer is made from a polyurethane with specific shock-absorbing properties. When it is placed between the bolt and what it slams against at the extreme range of its travel, the buffer acts as a gentle cushion. Without the buffer, the bolt is driven backwards to make direct violent contact with another piece of steel. In time, this pounding takes its toll. The gun becomes less accurate and the action becomes dangerously loose.

If you take your guns seriously, there's no good reason not to consider using a Recoil Buffer in all of them! Currently, we provide buffers for the Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mini-14/30, M1A/M14, FN/FAL L1A1, SKS, HK G3/91 93, Model 1911 and clones, MAC-10/11 and all Kalashnikov style weapons - AK/Valmet/Galil."
They do have the Sig buffer, as well as other new ones not in the quote.

Posts: 57 | Location: Mid-Mo | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
Recoil reduction on a 40S&W would be well warranted. I had to put a muzzle brake on my Ruger 22/45 just to get it to comfortable levels. I can't imagine what shooting a 40S&W would be like Eeker Eeker Eeker

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Switch to a HK USP or P2000 which have a recoil system especially designed to reduce felt recoil and wear and tear on the gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't find the HK USP to be any less violent in recoil than a 1911 or a SIG ... both of which can be fine guns.

Practice is the key as is a proper grip. (But perhaps shooting a couple of three hundred thousand rounds in my IPSC days could have improved my recoil tolerance.)

Buffers have the primary purpose of reducing the suddeness of momentum transfered to the frame thus reducing the likelihoods of failure in high use weapons. The reduction in felt recoil is marginal.

The recoil rods with double progressive springs seem to offer more felt impact reduction in 1911s than the other kinds.

If recoil is really a problem for you, you might look to one of the major IPSC gunsmiths for a carry comp gun. Won't be cheap ... but it will reduce muzzle rise even if it feels almost as stout in recoil.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote