THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Newbie 45 acp reloader - questions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie 45 acp reloader - questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just fired my first reload of 5.7 gr W231 with the 230 gr Hornady FMJ-RN and they shot and ejected fine but each had a cut in the brass which while not deep was more than a scratch. Each in the same location. Factory fired cases do not have this. Pistol is a Series 70 Govt model. Any ideas?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like with that load the recoil vel of the slide if off a bit. Allowing the brass to stike the ejection port causing the mark.

If it isnt a max load increasing a it bit could solve the problem.

If your at a max load try decreaseing it a bit.

Posts: 19417 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PDS it is not at max of 5.8 so will drop to 5.6 and then up to 5.8 to see if it cures the problem. Thanks for your timely advise.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they designed the 1911 properly you wouldn't have all those problems ! Roll Eyes

The case will hit the slide /ejection port somewhere [unlike say a HK P7] .If it hasn't been done cut down the ejection port by 1/8" .That originally was only done on the match pistols but is better for all.There shouldn't be any sharp edges anywhere on the ejection port . If you have other problems you could [with proper knowledge and skill.],tune the ejector and extractor for excellent reliability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they designed the 1911 properly you wouldn't have all those problems !

Like the 1935 Hi power did away with all the bad design of the 1911

Posts: 19417 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My two or three cents.
For a comfortable and reliable shooting load in my 1911s I do not load bullets of over 200 grains, and am presently using Titegroup.
I am not a serious competitor and my present load for both Bullseye and IPSC, is a 185 hard cast, over 4.2 gr of Titegroup. If you are concerned with leading, there are several copper plated bullets available (if you can get them)

As far as the "cuts" go, you may need a touch up by a qualified gunsmith.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I´m loading a 200grs SWC lead bullet over 5grs of Titegroup. No leading, no Problems, and no scratch on the case.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote