New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Model BH Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure whether to post here or in gunsmithing. Anyway I have an Old Model in .41 Rem Mag. I sent it to Ruger to have the X-fer bar safety mod done last year. This summer I bought a chrono and started working up handloads for it. When I got up to some pretty hot loads with 210s, the loading gat started popping open occaisionally. With some hot 250 grain loads it would pop open nearly every time.

I started doing some research on the net, but couldn't find anything that specifically addressed the load gate. I did find out about the normal problems and plan on installing an oversized base pin and cylinder latch, Wolff spring and new pawl.

What does it take to fix the load gate problem?

Thanks,
Wayne

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My opinion. Mistake to have the Ruger fix(?) I still fail to understand why folks do that.
Send it to Hamilton Bowen to make the handgun serviceable once again. Confused

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Cylinder & Slide has always done excellent handgun work for me.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote