Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Bisley "HELP"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I have a Ruger Bisley. I got it to shoot hot 45 LC loads in. My friend says its not the one you can shoot hot stuff in, because it says new.. I believe he is wrong.
The gun says "NEW Model Blackhawk" serial #47-78xx8 on it. Can I shoot the hot stuff like Bufflo Bore 45+p in this?
Thanks Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
The "new model" refers to the two screw design with the transfer bar as opposed to the old three screw design. This is a safety feature so that you can safely carry the gun with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. The Bisley models have a differently shaped hammer and grip.
If yours is a Blackhawk, it is still the larger frame (as are all blackhawks post 1973 or so) and is capable of being loaded to exceed .44 mag specs (many reloading manuals have a section of hotter loads, just for Ruger 45 LC's). I'd still caution you to load it within reasonable and safe levels, but the Buffalo +p rounds should be fine if it is a blackhawk.

The new model vaqueros made from '05 to present are a lighter made gun and should not have super hot loads fired from it. The Ruger Website has both Bisley model and Bisley Vaquero Model. If your gun has fixed sights, it is the Bisley Vaquero and I wouldn't go tooo hot with it. Hope that helps some.

this is a post on another site that should help if you have further question.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=254284

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Great help... Thank you..

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Maddog, your gun is ok with +p ammo. I have a pair of old vaqueros in 44 mag. One a bisley and one a standard frame. For my hand the standard frame is much more comfortable with full power loads. The bisley seems to recoil straight back into the center of my hand instead of rising. I tell you this because +p's in 45 colt will have about the same recoil as a full power 44 mag. Just be ready for a different recoil feel than normal with the Bisley frame.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
I personally like the Ruger Bisley grip. It really helps me feal in better control of the gun to be able to add my pinky finger to the rest of the team around the grip, instead of hooking it under the grip frame on the plow handle style grips in order to have my hand low enough for the hammer to cock back all the way. I have 2, a .45 Colt w/ 4 5/8 barrel, and a .44 Mag w/ 5 1/2 barrel. I can tell them apart at a glance. I bought the 45 specifically to shoot stiff loads in. 20 grains of Lil Gun w/ Cast Performance 325 grain LBT plain base bullets. I find it controlable. These are Bisley Vaqueros w/ fixed sights on the older frame meaning the original Vaquero frame. The new Vaquero is a smaller size approximateing the old Colt in size. They just introduced a Bisley grip model in that. I haven't seen one yet. I don't think my load would even fit in the new one, but I wouldn't even try. It is made for the standard 45 Colt load.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
gbanger,

That seems like a pretty hot load for cast bullets. You don't have leading issues? Just curious, not accusatory.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yep, your friend is incorrect. The New Model vaquero is the smaller frame/cyl. The Bisley is a full size frame & cyl. & can take loads that rival the 44mag.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
daniel, I haven't noticed any. Just following Ross Seyfried's foot prints. He uses H110. The loads were printed in the Hogdon annual reloading mag of a few years ago. I use Lil' Gun because I already have it on hand for my 22 Hornet and H110 requires mag primers. I never ran into anything saying Lil'Gun does. At least I never have run into any problems.

Gpopper

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Definately not for Peacemakers!

Gpopper

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
Definately not for Peacemakers!

I didn't mean that the load was too hot for the gun. I was admittedly off topic for this thread. Just didn't think you could push CAST BULLETs that fast without them leaving some lead in the barrel. You may be shooting hard cast or something that doesn't have that problem. I haven't shot much cast stuff and was interested to see how you were getting away with it, that's all.

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
daniel, the Cast Performanced LBT bullets are hard cast. They seem to fit my bore size pretty well and don't lead it up. Other than that, you generaly have to get up in the 1600+ fps territory to need gas checks. More than I would want to shoot. My loads are in the 1200 range.

Gpopper

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
daniel, the Cast Performanced LBT bullets are hard cast. They seem to fit my bore size pretty well and don't lead it up. Other than that, you generaly have to get up in the 1600+ fps territory to need gas checks. More than I would want to shoot. My loads are in the 1200 range.

Yep, bullet fit to bore, alloy & lube all play into whether you get leading or not. My 44mag hunting load is a 270grLHPGC. I cast it pretty soft so it will expand some & run them @ 1250fps w/ no appreciable leading.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maddog,

I shoot 325 gr CorBons which in my Ruger Bisley (7 1/2") which I believe are traveling in the 1300fps area. Plenty hot enough for me!

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote