Find
Notify
Tools

Lawenforcement & Military
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am new on the AR.
I have not any deep experience in pistol shooting exept from my duty days where I was equipped with a SIG 9mm.
Today when I read about the pistol shooters using 40SW, 10mm, 357SIG, 45GAP I ask myself the question, what happend to the good old 9mm PARA?
I am sure that these new calibers are fine, but when I look closer on police and military, I dont see the 9mm & 45ACP so much anymore.
Any of you gentlemen who are lawenforcement or military who can tell me your choice of caliber and why you made the choice...I am asking because I would like to catch up with the development on the handgun (practical) shooting.
I have been away from pistols for more than 20 years, but I want to go back to handguns after shoting rifles for the last 2 decades.

M

Posts: 30 | Location: Scandinavia | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not LE or military, but several things have happened and generally the USA drives the handgun market due to restrictions overseas.
1. Miami Shootout. Many years ago now, but the 9mm used by the FBi agents did not do real well (according the the pundits in the gun rags.
2. High capacity guns.
These two factors seem to have changed the scene.
First many militaries stil use the 9mm as a side arm. Remember the side arm is not the primary weapon, and, if you have to use it things are pretty desperate anyway.
The 40 S&W is an excellent combination of velocity and bullet weight.
The 357 Sig and, you haven't mentioned the 45 GAP are excellent rounds.
Now, there are many people in the USA who believe that the 45ACP was handed down, by God, along with the 10 Commandments, and that no progress has been made since then. Indeed, progress is impossible by definiton as it is already perfect.
I personnaly use a 38Super.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in most law enforcement cases the caliber and gun are chosen by the chief, and not by the individual officer. Same way is in the military, unless you are in a special unit.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I/We use 9mm +P+."Works Rather well"

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your responses..

Any place where I can read more about the 40SW, 357SIG and the 45GAP. I would be interested in their performance compared to the 9mm & 45ACP.

I am starting to get more and more interested in the handgun shooting.

What about new calibers on the revolvers.
I am again thinking of practical calibers for Military or Law Enforcement..

M

Posts: 30 | Location: Scandinavia | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sig Arms and Glock web sites would be a good start. American shooting magazines should also have articles. The 40S&W has been out for some time (10 years?). The 357 SIG maybe 3 years. The 45GAP maybe 1-2 years. New calibers for revolvers are all on the large side. More hunting than LE or military. Lok at the S&W web site.
Peter.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your replies..

I have a few questions:

What can I compare the SIG357 to? 357 MAG...where does it belong regarding performance (power)?

What does the +P+ refer to on the 9mm?.

M

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can check ballistics in most reloading manuals available on the Internet. Remember the 357 Mag. is basically a revolver round, although there have been semi automatics chambered for it, so, you are comparing apples and oranges. Do a Google search for some information. I did read one article where the author claimed that the 357 Sig was the death knell for the 38Super, so all three are in the same ballpark except for available bullet weights. +P+ means more pressure than the +P which means more pressure than the standard 9mm.
Generally means you should use a modern pistol (remember the 9mm has been around for a while).
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The .357 Sig shoots lighter bullets at comparable velocities to the .357 Mag. I don't think it has loads upto 158 grains. If your getting into practicle pistol try a 9MM, good capacity lower recoil. I'm not sure about self defense in Scandinavia, but my personal choice is .45 ACP or .357 Magnum depending on what I'm carrying. The Navy uses 9MM Beretta but some of the Special Forces units are using HK .45's. again.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9mm is still used by police here. The 357sig, 40S&W, and the 45acp all are equivalent in actual street use with modern JHPs.The 9mm especially with +P or +p+ loads is very close .Isn't it nice that we have such a choice!! Within those 4 cartridges bullet placement is more important ,so pick the gun and cartridge that suits you best .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perhaps a bit of history will help. The 40 S&W was developed right after the miami shootout because of the lack of stopping power the 9mm was perceived to have. They first looked at the 10mm auto, but it had to much power - to much over penetration. the 40 was then worked over as a 9mm replacement, able to fit into 9mm frame and magazine size. In use it seems to do what you think a 9mm should. The 45 of course has been around for many years and is well known as a stopper, but many found it hard to control. The 357 sig was brought out to be a 357 in an auto. While it doesn't reach 357 mag levels, it is a potent round, but has found little acceptance due to the lack of guns chambered for it.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
Take heart I just heard that the Military are scraping the 9mm and going back to the old stand-by 45, In Iraq according to the article I read said that the 9 just didn't have the stopping power needed in the situation they were confronted with. I believe the article was in eigther Shooting or Guns Magazine but don't hold me to that.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I had heard from a soldier who returned from Iraq and mentioned several hostile taking several 9mm rounds and showing no effect. Being a huge fan of the 1911 and it's 45acp, I asked if any of them carried one and he said no but thry were begging to have them back instead of the nine. Remember though this is using FMJ ammo and of course the 45 would rule. I have a friend in the sherrifs dept in NY and he says there are only two things to remember "45 and Glock"

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote