New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 1911 should I buy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My interest has now turned to obtaining a 1911 pistol. There is a bewildering selection to choose from but the S&W offerings seem to be a good choice. I would welcome the recommendations for those in the know.

Application: target shooting only.

Thank you.

Ken.

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are not going with a Custom 1911
consider the Springfield Armory Trophy model.

They come with Bomar like adjustable target sights.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree, I wouldn't go with an S&W 1911, they make nice revolvers and their M&P is a nice pistol.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Been a wheel gunner forever and love my S&W's but decided to go with a Sig 1911. Got the Nitron Rail with night sights. It has never failed to feed, extremely accurate.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The S&W models have a brute of an extractor that works and works and doesn't need "adjusted."

The new production series 70 Colts are worth a look.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heard nothing but good about Rugers SR1911.

If and when this cazyness goes away I just might buy one of those to go along with my P90

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a Remington R1. Great bang for the buck and accurate as hell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't explain what you mean by target shooting. Having said that a Kimber Target 45 in various descriptions should fit the bill. I have a Kimber Custom Target which, after a trigger job, is quite accurate.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer the Colt or Kimber. But that is my personal choice. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought target shooting was specific, as opposed to hunting or self defence. Fixed and moving targets from 25 yards out to whatever the handgun limit is would be used both for amusement and for competition.

It does seem there is a wide range of makes and models that will satisfy the owner. This probably means the product from any established U.S. manufacturer would yield results beyond my old body and eyes capabilities.

Good to know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like cars...too many models and choices. Here are the brands I'd look at: Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Nighthawk, Remington.
Many don't care for the cast frame of the Ruger. There are absolutely no flys on the S&W. Since Kimber has gone mainstream their quality control has really gone down hill. Look at them, make sure there are target sights since you want to target shoot, and look for the best price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gray fox, your point is well taken. I was not thinking of target vs. hunting or self defence, but rather target as Bullseye vs. IDPA, IPSC, Bianchi etc. etc.The accuracy requirements are completely different. I do think that fully adjustable sights are a requirement for just about every gun I own. While at it, however, I might also ask "Why a 1911"? 45acp guns are available in non 1911 type guns. The Sig P220 (which I own) is a fine example.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The Sig P220 is a great piece (if you're right handed) which I'm not. I would recommend what I carry,a full size Colt series 70.I used to carry a 1943 Remington-Rand but put it in the safe because I knew if I ever had to use it I would lose it.A 70 series I can replace,especially now as Colt has now started to remake the 70 series. Saw some at the last gun show in S/S in .45 + .38 super in the $750.00 price range.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I may get jumped on for this suggestion but I would also take a look at the Rock Island Armory
1911s. I have a few custom 1911s that I use for IPSC and Bullseye. I needed another for Cowboy "Wild Bunch"
but did not want to spend a lot for a pistol I would use only occasionally. I bought their "plain Jane" model
as is required for Cowboy. Quite a surprise for a pistol under $400.00. I had a trigger job done, period.
It shoots everything I run through it from my IPSC loads to my SWC Bullseye loads, with never a jam or failure
to feed. And the accuracy, even with those incredibly minimal sights, is very good. I can imagine that with
a good set of sights (and they have a few models so equipped) it would be a good choice for every day target
shooting fun.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why 1911, good point Peter. It seems to be a traditional choice but my mind is open to all options. I am looking quality with no consideration of fire rate.

With a strong trend toward high capacity magazines and rapid fire volume shooting, my last gun purchase was a Ruger #1 single shot rifle.

I prefer the "do it right the first time." approach but this comment will no doubt bring the wrath of some down on my head. It is just my opinion and there is no issue with other options for other shooters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ago prevents me from IPSC or other more vigorous shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre 80 series Colt Match Target (there were two, hardball and wadcutter)

one of us
posted Hide Post
gray fox, if you are not married to a 1911, take a look at the EAA Witness Elite Match. They should make them in 45acp. I have two of these, in 38 Super and 10mm. You should be able to get one for $500-$600. They have fully adjustable sights and shoot quite well.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
COLT!!! Smiler

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have seldom been without a couple of 1911's since gunsmith school 60+ years ago. Currently have a Kimber Eclipse, Essex frame Colt conversion unit and just bought my brother a Rock Island Armory which I am pleasantly surprised to reccommend as the best buy out there. I bought the small tactical model and it really surprised me very much. Extremely tight and well made. Super tight,if this is representative of their quality I would unhesistatingly reccommend it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I have seldom been without a couple of 1911's since gunsmith school 60+ years ago. Currently have a Kimber Eclipse, Essex frame Colt conversion unit and just bought my brother a Rock Island Armory which I am pleasantly surprised to reccommend as the best buy out there. I bought the small tactical model and it really surprised me very much. Extremely tight and well made. Super tight,if this is representative of their quality I would unhesistatingly reccommend it.

ZIM....I said the same about the Rock Island. Very pleasantly surprised.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I know the OP said target shooting....

Take a look at a Commander length 1911. A proper 4,25" barreled gun with a bushing. I prefer the shorter length for carrying. Commanders are a bit lighter and can be made just as accurate as a 5" gun.

Colt lists a Combat Commander and a Lightweight Commander in their catalog but I've never seen one in person.

Remington has just released the R1 in Commander length.
If I had the scratch to get one I would.

In the meantime I'll stick with old reliable. Old beat-up reliable that is. It's still my everyday carry gun and I can hold my own with the spendy 5" 1911's

Mid 80's Colt Lightweight Commander

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone is making these things.. I ended up with a Dan Wesson Valor. Real nice piece but a little more $$ than those mentioned. No cast parts and stainless with a rust resistant coating.
I had something else on my mind like a Wilson Combat or Les Baer and those are perhaps a step up but I could not tell an extreme amount of difference.
A lot to choose from out there!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be the third to steer you to the Rock Island. They are great guns at a great price. Mine, although in 9mm, has never missed a beat. You can buy them in almost any configuration you desire from Commander size to 6" combat barrel with all the goodies.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
If you are not going with a Custom 1911
consider the Springfield Armory Trophy model.

They come with Bomar like adjustable target sights.

That is an excellent choice. I really like the Springfield's

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
I know the OP said target shooting....

Take a look at a Commander length 1911. A proper 4,25" barreled gun with a bushing. I prefer the shorter length for carrying. Commanders are a bit lighter and can be made just as accurate as a 5" gun.

Colt lists a Combat Commander and a Lightweight Commander in their catalog but I've never seen one in person.

Remington has just released the R1 in Commander length.
If I had the scratch to get one I would.

In the meantime I'll stick with old reliable. Old beat-up reliable that is. It's still my everyday carry gun and I can hold my own with the spendy 5" 1911's

Mid 80's Colt Lightweight Commander

I would love to have one of those. tu2

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my Dan Wesson PM7-10mm over the past three and a half years. A better shooter than me and a tightly fitted pistol. I'd also give a close look at Springfield's TRP for a bit more money.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
My experience with 1911s is limited, so I also asked the same questions you did a few years ago. What 1911 to buy.

After tallying up the votes and taking everyone's advice, I went with Springfield Loaded.

Absolutely love that gun. Quite a few guys recommend different Colt's as well. These were the top two choices for me.

Now, good luck finding one! They aren't as common as they used to be for some reason. Smiler

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber Pro Carry 45 acp, that I've carried for about four years and When I got it I ran hell out of it to make sure it wouldn't let me down when I needed it most. It is accurate, and has been as reliable as sunrise!

The only draw-back is it is a little heavy for daily carry, so I rotate with a smaller Astra A75 9mm drop hammer DA.

I certainly would recommend the Kimber Pro Carry!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gray fox:
Ago prevents me from IPSC or other more vigorous shooting.

A quick aside without hijacking this thread....
We have a gentleman who is in his mid seventies shooting in our IPSC club most of the time he shoots his wheel gun he moves at his own pace. A good club should welcome you and encourage you regardless of your age and physical abilities. I shoot monthly and some times travel with friends to other shoots and I am not a registered shooter I shoot for fun and to and to become more proficient in my pistol craft.
With that said I have 3 1911's to custom Caspians and a Kimber utra pro carry all shoot better than I do and have been very reliable. All good advice above... Good luck don't forget to show us your new toy.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All excellent advice and very much appreciated. I hit 70 two days ago and have nave no delusions of beibg able to attaining the accuracy available to me 50 years ago.

Thank you one and all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best bang for your buck will be Kimber!

Wilsons are fantastic but at about three times the cost.....

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best bang for your buck will be Kimber!

Yes, my "next" .45 would be a Kimber. For target shooting I mean, this one would be nice.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1...tch-ii/gold-match-ii

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say best bang for your buck and as close to a custom you can get Les Baer,

I just got mine and was the best choice I could have made JMHO

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seasons44:
I would say best bang for your buck and as close to a custom you can get Les Baer,

I just got mine and was the best choice I could have made JMHO

Les Baer is never a bad choice, the best of the best

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you decide which 1911 you need to determine how much you want to spend.
Many models on the market that range from $500 up to $2,000 +.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
It´s allways the "price". And how many "pocket money" you have.
A Kimber Gold Match costs in Germany ~1550.-€. The Les Bear 2600.-€. That´s a lot of money. I paid for my Para P14-45 in 1996 1400.-DM (~700.-€).

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Remember the following adds $200 to the pistol

beaver tail grips safety - $40
ambi safety - $60
extended slide release - $25
extended safety - $30
extended mag release - $20
funnel mag well - $20 (cheapy)

adds no advantage to a bullseye shooter :-)

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
A Springfield Range Officer might be a thought, I'm thinking of buying a TRP for carry myself this week

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote