Find
Notify
Tools

Which 1911 should I buy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I just bought this one, but it's not a "first 1911" and really would be a waste as a range only gun.

This has been my carry and range gun for over a decade. This is a great range gun (which is what it be used for pretty much exclusively now that my Springfield Professional is "in the house".

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have hands on experience with the Iver Johnson Eagle?

My next 1911 I want adjustable sights, and in the $5-600 range. The Rock Island model that has adj. sights also has a fiber optic front which I don't want. All other suggestions are considered at this point as well.

Sold my Gold Cup a while ago, and with all the fiddling with handloads I don't want a fixed rear sight which is the only thing I have at the moment.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all who have recommended a Springfield 1911. I shoot Bullseye competition and most if not all the pistolsmiths who specialize in Bullseye pistols recommend the Springfield is one of their top choices. What that means to me is all the holes are correct and it is built to last a long time. I figure they surely know a lot more than I do. I suspect some of my competition 1911's have upwards of 100,000 rounds thru them and are still ticking with minor accuracy tuneups along the way.
If you want a complete custom build, then Caspian would also be a good choice, but they only make components, not complete pistols. I definitely would not go with a Rock Island.

I know nothing about Kimbers except they do have a nice finish. However, you are paying for that and if you intend to change up some of it, then you wasted money.
Phil

Posts: 358 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my stock Colt 1911 about 15-20 yrs ago. Replaced everything in it except the frame and slide. Everything else is after market, Just did it because I like working on my guns. Spent some money but wth! She runs smooth and never jams.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Just treated myself to another Wilson 1911. This time around I purchased the Xtac. As noted before, Wilson's are expensive, perhaps even over priced, but man they are so sweet to shoot.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I remember in the 80's half my club bought stock Springfield 1911's. I think they were $450-500 ea. 1 club member was a pretty good 1911 smith, he did a few and a few got sent out to Maples.

quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
I agree with all who have recommended a Springfield 1911. I shoot Bullseye competition and most if not all the pistolsmiths who specialize in Bullseye pistols recommend the Springfield is one of their top choices. What that means to me is all the holes are correct and it is built to last a long time. I figure they surely know a lot more than I do. I suspect some of my competition 1911's have upwards of 100,000 rounds thru them and are still ticking with minor accuracy tuneups along the way.
If you want a complete custom build, then Caspian would also be a good choice, but they only make components, not complete pistols. I definitely would not go with a Rock Island.

I know nothing about Kimbers except they do have a nice finish. However, you are paying for that and if you intend to change up some of it, then you wasted money.
Phil

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have 3 Colt Model 1911 pistols available for sale shortly. A window of a Korean War vet who recently passed on has asked me to sell his weaponry. He was active in military matches, and I have his M1 NM Garands, 1911 target pistols, and 4 S&W Model 41 semi-autos. Here are the 1911s; one National Match, one modified by Clark Custom, and one by Giles. Once I get the OK and assess values, they will be in the Classified section.

Posts: 20159 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of all the 1911's I currently own, The SigSauer TACOPS is the smoothest, most accurate 1911 out of the box I have ever shot.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 1060's into the 1980's I shsot NRA Bullseye.

I used Clark 1911's. Clark and Giles ere regarded two of the best.

The center 1911 is what is called a "Hardball" gun. It can be used in the regular matches, but is actually designed to fit within the rules of what is called the LEG Match, or Service Pistol Match.

Those pistols had to look just like a regular issue 1911 on the outside, except the front strap/backstrap could be checered or stippled and you could have adjustable sights. Trigger pull could not be less than 4.5 lbs if I remember. This would be checked before every Leg Match.

The pistol was accurized as well.
That pistil looks just like the standard Army AMU Military issue Hardball National Match Gun.

Back in the early IPSC days, many of us just used our Hardball" gun.

Basically a new made Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Guncrafter, etc. 1911 is the outgrowth of a Hardball Gun, with modern refinments, and creature comforts added that were discovered to be good along the way.

All 3 of those 1911's are good pistols.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Nice! I just bought a Springfield Pro and own a V16 Longslide or I'd be jumping on that Colt National Match

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a Colt or it's a copy.

There is a reason that top custom smiths prefer to build on Series 70 Colts.

Billy Bob

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in the late 1060's

Dam I knew you were old but not that old old

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, don't be too hard on him. he meant "1600s".
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote