New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning an old double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Put this here because it may be double rifle specific. My old and somewhat rough bored 470 is a real nightmare to clean. After a couple hours I am giving up. Would like some old rough bore double cleaning tips. I have done several sessions with different techniques and chemicals and while it’s gotten better I can still see big streaks of washed out copper on rifling. Bore is rough so it holds a lot of material I am learning to clean out. Gun shoots pretty good but after a couple shooting sessions takes a huge amount of effort to clean. Any pro tips you can share greatly appreciated

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Put this here because it may be double rifle specific. My old and somewhat rough bored 470 is a real nightmare to clean. After a couple hours I am giving up. Would like some old rough bore double cleaning tips. I have done several sessions with different techniques and chemicals and while it’s gotten better I can still see big streaks of washed out copper on rifling. Bore is rough so it holds a lot of material I am learning to clean out. Gun shoots pretty good but after a couple shooting sessions takes a huge amount of effort to clean. Any pro tips you can share greatly appreciated

A new set of barrels would be my guess!

…………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not gonna happen. Just was wondering if there was a secret method to remove barrel fouling. I guess good old fashioned elbow grease it is

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I would cork the muzzles and fill ‘er up with Hoppes copper solvent and leave it to soak for a couple days.
That should dissolve much of the copper and whatever is left, well, if it’s still shooting to your satisfaction, then leave it alone.
In this market no low grade or well used double is worth rebarreling IMO.

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Wipeout foam works great for me.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, if it holds ~2-3” (you didn’t say) at 50-60yards I would not worry about it. Just clean til you are tired of it ad call it good.
Huvius’ recommend is what I would do if it really bugs you, followed by a series of scrubs with JB bore paste.

I have seen it on some or other forum that shooting a bunch of cast gas check bullets will get rid of the copper? Never tried it....
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good I tried every method except corking. Gun still shoots acceptably so when I get back from Montana I’ll try that. Anywhere from 1”-3” at 50 with various ammo when I do my part. and when I load for it I’m sure I can get it consitent. Barrels seem worse now that I cleaned it than I originally thought when I bought it (didn’t look close enough) but if it shoots I won’t worry too much.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Is it primarily copper that is the fouling, or is it carbon/powder fouling that you are having trouble with? I know that I could never get a white patch no matter how much I cleaned my old Rodda, they were always grey. I read in DG Journal that many of the old barrels were of a softer steel than we use nowadays and had a higher lead content for better machinability and that they would never come spotlessly clean.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
all depends on how clean is clean

KG-12, Wipeout , Electrolytic Copper Removal
All will remove copper down to the steel if used properly
may take several applications

IF the bores are rough-
ie frosted and or pitted
it is more difficult and takes longer
AND fouls more quickly

were it not a DR you could (and some would anyway)
use a polishing compound on your bullets from Tubbs or other sources
at times that smooths moderately rough barrels well

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a bore cleaning foam called Forrest that is very effective on removing copper, dont know if it is available in the US...it is made in Finland...we scandinavians swear by it..

It is also non-toxic..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a rifle, but I have an old 410 side by side by William Jeffery with very pitted barrels. I give it a good scrub with .303 oil or bore foam and this gets all the crud out of the barrels. A good oiling and then back in the cabinet. I want to fouling out so that it doesn't hold onto moisture and thus cause rust.

Pitted rifle barrels do not make an inaccurate rifle. I know a couple of pitted .222 and .308s that should n't but do shoot little tiny groups, but they do take several shots to settle down again after a deep clean. Key for accuracy is the crowns - make sure they are nice and clean.

If your double shoots both barrels into a clay pigeon sized target at 50 to 60 yards its doing what a double is supposed to do. I would n't try and take all the copper plating out - it's probably smoothing out the bore somewhat.

When you have finished shooting give it a good wipe through to get rid off excess powder fouling and put away.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't over clean. As long as it shoots ok the cleaning you should do should only be to keep the bore from rusting.

After shooting run two or three soaking wet patches with Ballistol through the bore. Store it muzzle down.

when ready to shoot again wipe the bore with one or two dry patches and shoot away.

10 times as many barrels are worn out by cleaning than by shooting Smiler

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
10 times as many barrels are worn out by "IMPROPER" cleaning than by shooting

as in jointed steel rods,
embedded abrasive debris with aluminum rods
and/or some coated rods,
improper muzzle protection,
leaving heavy ammonia products in the bore
etc

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As long as my Hollis continues to shoot well, I just use Hoppes and Wipe Out. I try not to use a cleaning rod too often.
Besides, the first thing you do with a new rifle barrel is break it in. Old rifles don’t need to be spotlessly clean!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes primarily copper. Bore has small fractures circling in bore I didn't see when I bought it but did after a good cleaning. I did buy it knowing it was rough but still shoots.

quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Is it primarily copper that is the fouling, or is it carbon/powder fouling that you are having trouble with? I know that I could never get a white patch no matter how much I cleaned my old Rodda, they were always grey. I read in DG Journal that many of the old barrels were of a softer steel than we use nowadays and had a higher lead content for better machinability and that they would never come spotlessly clean.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice. I won't go to crazy I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Not a rifle, but I have an old 410 side by side by William Jeffery with very pitted barrels. I give it a good scrub with .303 oil or bore foam and this gets all the crud out of the barrels. A good oiling and then back in the cabinet. I want to fouling out so that it doesn't hold onto moisture and thus cause rust.

Pitted rifle barrels do not make an inaccurate rifle. I know a couple of pitted .222 and .308s that should n't but do shoot little tiny groups, but they do take several shots to settle down again after a deep clean. Key for accuracy is the crowns - make sure they are nice and clean.

If your double shoots both barrels into a clay pigeon sized target at 50 to 60 yards its doing what a double is supposed to do. I would n't try and take all the copper plating out - it's probably smoothing out the bore somewhat.

When you have finished shooting give it a good wipe through to get rid off excess powder fouling and put away.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Getting some good info

White Mountains Arizona