THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Help design a technically perfect Double
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help design a technically perfect Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DR discussions are always very interesting. I am glad they were saved from extinction and enjoying the present popularity. I say extinction with tongue in cheek as the DR has always been tied to the nostalgia of bygone days on the trail of ivory. In reality the ability of modern hunters to have access to hunting elephants still the DR is still relevant especially in the 500 and 577 calibers.
I think the modern double with extra leaves on the sights has more to do with nostalgia but I can't say I wouldn't mind giving them a go at the range.
Ejectors make alot of sense but I have always wondered if the concern of needing more than two shots does it matter in a flat out charge. I wonder in a non stopped charge how many DR shooters had time to get a reload in?
For me a DR I go in assuming I get two quick shots if needed with out alot of extra manipulation of the gun. If I thought it was a numbers game on how many shots I could get off I would go bolt.
For me I accept the rifle as a two shooter. What sets the DR appart from the bolt is the ability to have a solid and soft available. But my need for the solid is not what you would think. In hunting Africa you never know what is around the corner. Maybe a small antelope gives you a quick look before he is gone. Select the solid barrel and you are hunting. For me this is part of the nostalgia of the DR and the DR with added leaves. The guys of old were hunting for ivory but also needed to feed the crew and would not pass up the targets of oportunity if meat was needed. I want the solid so I dont tear up the trophy but it in hunting Africa for whatever might be around the next corner is part of my African hunting enjoyment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very true about the availability of a solid and what lies around the corner.I had one unexpected and a little tense encounter with a mother ele once.I give credit to PH Alan Shearing when it came to enexpected encounters with ele.As soon as we enexpectadly came across some ele he would say to load a solid in the chamber right away no questions ask.Another Ph was offended when I did this thinking that I would give our position away if the ele heard a metalic sound.I prefer loading a solid in the chamber right away and getting ready to deal with the unexpected.Hearing that rumbling coming from an ele nearby is not something comforting.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
When you think about it, we all (using that term liberally) see a rifle like the two Jeffery's above and agree they are beautiful rifles. That being the case it makes you wonder why VC, Heym, Merkel, Chapius, Searcy, etc. do not simply take their design and replicate the lines of such rifles, i.e., splinter forearm, nice drop in the comb, slim, sleek look, etc. I am not aware of any modern manufacturer that does a rifle with the true lines of the classic British double. I wonder why.

It's simple; they're German or French and have absolutely no intention of making a gun that looks purely English. I've been saying for years that Merkels would double in sales if the metal lines were English inspired, and all engraving was done as rose/scroll and forget the Arabaic or deep relief game scene engraving.

I've also encouraged more case coloring, nicer wood, and less to no engraving on base model guns. Tell it to Olaf Sauer. The Germans are going to do it their way; and that's it.

When it comes to technical innovation, usually the Germans are far ahead (as in the Blaser), but when it comes to double rifles, we in general don't want innovation. We want well made guns that exemplify what the classic British guns looked and felt like, and still be solid and well-regulated.

The Merkel stock lines are closer to traditional British lines that anything else new outside British guns. That's why they fit most people very well.

British guns were designed to throw-up and point like a fine double shotgun, as are the Merkel stocks.

If only I was in charge of production at Merkel---------------!!! Case coloring, rose/scroll, no scalloped receiver (either plain boxlock or side locks), 25" barrels, exceptional wood, and the additiom of .375 Fl and .450NE ( deletion of the .416 Rigby and .375 Belted). And the .375 Fl would be built on the smaller frame of the 140 for a weight in the 8.5-9 lb. gun.

But I'm just dreaming.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is still out there it is up to you to find who can do it and influence him(guide him) so that it can happen.Nice things do not happen easily.Again,these things do not have a hometown.I believe the most talented individual can make many lemons.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Sure Mack, and first let me say if my posts addressed to you seemed curt, that was not my intention at all. You asked about the doubling I experienced with the Merkels in an incredulous sort of way and I responded accordingly.

As to Zeljko, my response was twofold; To indicate that often-times we ALL get frustrated with George's "circular logic" and secondly, with just fifteen posts, it might be a good idea to get a "feel" for the place and it's members before coming in and dictating behavior. That was all.

Thank you jorge that explains your post to him, I understood that! What I didn't understand was the response below!

quote:
Pretty uppity for a man that don't go heels...But if you have a water tower and a sniper rifle handy, don't go here:

I also agree that though shooter is some times a little hard to read, I don't think he means to be!

Jorge as I've said in the past it seems my very dirrect way of writing is often taken as confrontational when it was not meant to be. That however is not your fault, but mine.

...................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mac: You are right, it WAS intended to be confrontational.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jorge I have no idea how I got on your bad side but it seems for the last couple of years your posts aimed at me have been to say the least curt at best and damn sarcastic at worst.

I really don't know what I've done to deserve this, and I don't expect you will tell me, so hence forth you would do me a favor if you would place me on your ignore list! What ever the problem is I'm sorry for the break in what I thought was a friendship, but I suppose now that was never the case.

..................................................................SAD! BYE! wave

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Jorge I have no idea how I got on your bad side but it seems for the last couple of years your posts aimed at me have been to say the least curt at best and damn sarcastic at worst.

I really don't know what I've done to deserve this, and I don't expect you will tell me, so hence forth you would do me a favor if you would place me on your ignore list! What ever the problem is I'm sorry for the break in what I thought was a friendship, but I suppose now that was never the case.

..................................................................SAD! BYE! wave

Mac, english IS my second language, but my friend, you've totally have this turned around. My post WAS confrontational BUT NOT TO YOU, rather to the new guy who gets in here and starts dictating protocol. Can't make it any plainer than that. As far as my posts, sure I've disagreed with you, but I don't think they've been out of line. On the previous post that you still have some issues with, was a link to shootaway's discussion on iron sights, which in my view would make Mother Teresa want to climb a water tower with a sniper rifle in frustration...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mac, please click on the link and if that doesn't explain it to you regarding shootaway's (i)logic, well I just don't know what to say!

bats in the belfry

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Mac, english IS my second language, but my friend, you've totally have this turned around. My post WAS confrontational BUT NOT TO YOU, rather to the new guy who gets in here and starts dictating protocol. Can't make it any plainer than that. As far as my posts, sure I've disagreed with you, but I don't think they've been out of line. On the previous post that you still have some issues with, was a link to shootaway's discussion on iron sights, which in my view would make Mother Teresa want to climb a water tower with a sniper rifle in frustration...

The bold print in your post above was what I didn't understand an that bold above explains that perfectly!

quote:
Mac, please click on the link and if that doesn't explain it to you regarding shootaway's (i)logic, well I just don't know what to say!

bats in the belfry

Jorge, I also agree with you on Shooter's thought process, and also like you, I don't find him ojectionable. However when I see something that is not right, I tend to call a spade a spade. But like you I have been around for quite a while, but that fact doesn't necessarily make my opinion any more valid than the guy who has just signed on to the web-site. The guy may have been around the subject longer than me but if he has, in the case of double rifles, he must be one old sucker! Big Grin

........................................................................ old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Very true about the availability of a solid and what lies around the corner.I had one unexpected and a little tense encounter with a mother ele once.I give credit to PH Alan Shearing when it came to enexpected encounters with ele.As soon as we enexpectadly came across some ele he would say to load a solid in the chamber right away no questions ask.Another Ph was offended when I did this thinking that I would give our position away if the ele heard a metalic sound.I prefer loading a solid in the chamber right away and getting ready to deal with the unexpected.Hearing that rumbling coming from an ele nearby is not something comforting.

shootaway, on my first Safari my PH did the same thing. When ever we accendidently bumbed into elephants, which was quite often he would quietly say "Two Solids Please".

I was hunting with 2 doubles, a 9,3x74R scoped for plains game, and a 450 No2 for the big stuff.

One thing about a double is that with a little practice you can VERY QUICKLY and SILENTLY change to solids in both barrels.

This is one of the advantages of the double, that actually is not mentioned very often.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
In amongst that lower Zambezi Jesse or for that matter,any Elephant country, FMJ's in your rifle certainly provide some comfort.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote