Find
Notify
Tools

Good Time to Buy a Chapuis
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Seems to be a good year to order a new Chapuis; the Euro is low and production lead time is now at 3 1/2 months. Get them from Dale Nygaard who is a very nice guy to work with.
Just got a new one; an 8x57JRS. 4X wood, comb straighter than standard, and regulated for scope at 100 meters, and with no engraving and color case hardening. Regulation target shows exactly 2 inches at 100m with both barrels on horizontal plane, left to the left side and right on the right. I will go to the range tomorrow and check it.

Posts: 17171 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good choice of caliber! Smiler

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, and in quite a useful caliber. Well done.

Posts: 20130 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of research on the most popular small bore DRs. (99 percent of them appear to be used in Europe) That is why I settled on the 8mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine started shooting the 8mm Mauser in a Blaser a couple years ago, and now that's all he uses...in a Blaser, Sauer Outlander, and maybe a few more rifles. Loves it!

Posts: 20130 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always a good time to buy a Chapuis.

Nice looking rifle. Dale is the only person I would ever buy a Chapuis from.

BTY, what is the price for a UGEX these days? PM is fine if you don't want to post the price. I have two but could always use another.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6637 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Now is better than the past few years due to the low Euro. I haven't got the final bill yet so I actually don't know how much it cost; basic cost was $4780 when I started. I will let you know when I get it.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
+1 on Dale Nygaard.... he's a great guy to deal with...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget JJ. He ordered my 450/400 regulated at the factory for a scope, with the features I wanted and then did the gunsmithing and sighting in for a doctor optic.

Turnkey, ready to go when it arrived

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That CCH is not very attractive..A friend of mine has a beautiful double by them and the CCH in that one is one of the nicest I've ever seen.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Was it really necessary to make a negative comment on my new rifle that I just got yesterday? I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. I was just excited to get a new DR and wanted to share it with AR members; your comment did not help me at all. You could have waited a bit. I know it is cyanide but that is what I got; I can't send it back and tell them to re-do it.

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. If it shoots as good for you as it did for the test target, even better. Super nice piece of wood. Congrats.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

Very nice rifle. I just got a new 8x57R Chapuis myself. I installed the sling swivels and mounted a Leupold 1.5x5 scope on it. I hope to shoot it later this week if the rain gives me a break.

I got the silvered action and mine also has nice wood, altho I think yours is better.

What would you suggest as a starting point for duplicating the 196 grain regulation load?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Was it really necessary to make a negative comment on my new rifle that I just got yesterday? I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. I was just excited to get a new DR and wanted to share it with AR members; your comment did not help me at all. You could have waited a bit. I know it is cyanide but that is what I got; I can't send it back and tell them to re-do it.

No it wasn't necessary had I known you'd take it that way or to be honest, that it was your rifle. I thought it was just like many here who post stuff they are interested in and are looking for honest opinions. Cyanide has nothing to do with it there are somme done that way that come out well, differently. I was just expressing my opinion pure and simple.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice wood!!

quote:
Get them from Dale Nygaard who is a very nice guy to work with.

+1

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I understand it was just your opinion. I, personally, would never detract from someone's new rifle. It's in poor taste to do so.
Loads? I will let you know; I have to convert some of my factory stuff to brass. A Hornady 196 at 2400 fps is what will duplicate the Norma Oryx that it is regulated with. Something around 42[-45 grains of 4064. Norma lists 42 of N202 but I have none of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me. The 8x57R or the Rimless is a great hunting cartridge. For those Americans not familar with it it is in the same power/game catagory as the 308 and 30/06.

I have done a lot of hunting with a Chapuis in 9,3x74R. I have made shots just past 300 yards with it.
I have taken armidillo, to zebra, beaver, bear and bufflao [cape], several cats, civit, bobcat and caracel, quire a bit of plains game, with a giraffe and elephant thrown in...

I think you will really enjoy your 8x57R. tu2

A scoped double is not just a short range hunting rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle indeed! I have one in 30R Blaser. Now that I can get RWS ammo from NECG, it shoots the width of the barrels at 100 yards with scope mounted. Before I could get the RWS ammo with which it was regulated, I was getting about a 3" spread at 100 yards barrel to barrel. With the RWS ammo, I literally had 4 shots touching for my first shots at 100 yards last weekend. Chapuis double rifles are very accurate! Good luck with yours - it is a beauty.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, congrats. Really like the wood on the butt stock, fancy but not over the top. My guess is that the CCH looks much better in person than in the pictures. What are the ballistics on the 8x57JRS?

Mike

Posts: 21365 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
8x57 JRS ballistics are like starting loads for the rimless round; 196 grain bullet at 2400 fps. I have had 3 9.3 doubles and wanted something that didn't kick quite so much as they do in the light Chapuis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your excitement with us. It makes you want to go out and shoot something with it. One in a caliber such as what you went with will surely not get left home too much. One such as this or in 30-30 appeals to me

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dale is a great guy to share a camp fire and do business. Heck of a good guy!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Looks good to me. The 8x57R or the Rimless is a great hunting cartridge. For those Americans not familar with it it is in the same power/game catagory as the 308 and 30/06.

I have done a lot of hunting with a Chapuis in 9,3x74R. I have made shots just past 300 yards with it.
I have taken armidillo, to zebra, beaver, bear and bufflao [cape], several cats, civit, bobcat and caracel, quire a bit of plains game, with a giraffe and elephant thrown in...

I agree with you 100% Tony. I keep telling Beibs that but he just doesn't listen! 2020

I think 250 yards is the longest shot I've made with my Chapuis in 9.3X74R, but then I just haven't had the opportunity to air it out further. A scope makes for a very versatile double rifle in the appropriate calibers such as this.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did consider the 30-30 but wanted more power than it gives. Plue, it is not avail in the UGEX; only the RGEX small frame which is $1k more, although it does come with 4x wood. I think the UGEX is a better deal and you can pay for 4X wood if you want it although 3X is very nice.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
That looks like a heck of a nice rifle to me. Enjoy!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

I agree with you 100% Tony. I keep telling Beibs that but he just doesn't listen! 2020

I think 250 yards is the longest shot I've made with my Chapuis in 9.3X74R, but then I just haven't had the opportunity to air it out further. A scope makes for a very versatile double rifle in the appropriate calibers such as this.

. . . maybe a Best of the West episode with Todd and Tony shooting doubles at mule deer at 600 yards?

Mike

Posts: 21365 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

Congratulations on your new rifle!!! Is it your FIRST
double?
There is nothing like the moment you become
a double owner for the first time! They are such a won-
derful invention of the mechanical world... May you have
many happy hunts with it. I think it's GOOD LOOKIN' !
And YOU should develop a happy grin on your face each
time you see it, and or pick it up! May it provide you with
many tasty meals!!!
clap dancing clap dancing clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did consider the 30-30 but wanted more power than it gives. Plue, it is not avail in the UGEX; only the RGEX small frame which is $1k more, although it does come with 4x wood. I think the UGEX is a better deal and you can pay for 4X wood if you want it although 3X is very nice.

That is the logic that has kept me from going the 30-30 route. But sometime good logic gets over ruled by want Smiler

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My first double? No, something like my 15th. And I always get excited about getting them (or building them).
But it is my first small bore, that is what is significant.
I chose the 8mm as it has several advantages over other small bores; I did a decision matrix on it (using the Command and General Staff College format of course) and with the parameters I used, the 8x57JRS came one on top. Besides being very popular in Europe, I can use my standard 8x57 dies, and even brass in an emergency. (I have literally thousands of those) . Ammo is readily available (S&B) and so are bullets now that Hornady makes the 196 grainer. Other classic DR cartridges like the 7x65R and the newer 30 Blaser suffer from very hard to get brass, ammo and dies. The 30-30 is not a classic DR cartridge and it didn't meet my power threshold, so I didn't consider that for long, although for brass, dies, bullets and ammo availability, it is #1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

the rifle is beautiful!

the price is nice as well.

Posts: 746 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other classic DR cartridges like the 7x65R and the newer 30 Blaser suffer from very hard to get brass, ammo and dies.

Can't speak about the 7x65R but 30R Blaser stuff is fairly easy to come by. Dale sells once fired cases, Huntington had new brass in stock when I ordered it and dies are RCBS and were at my door step in two weeks from ordering. Subsailor reported NECG imports and sells ammo as well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6637 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Is below your caliber, rimless?
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/a...phROvZwLGT&catid=634

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep telling Biebs that but he just doesn't listen! 2020

Yes, I know, I know...you can hit something with a scoped double at distance, just like you could with a Trap-Door Springfield, a Sharps, or even a decent muzzle-loader. A couple points:

-If you break tradition by scoping a DR, you might as well go to a magazine rifle

-If you plan on taking animals at 200-300 yards, and have your choice of weapons, do you really thing a DR is the best choice?

-If you needed a 2nd shot, would you use the 2nd barrel, or need to reload the barrel you used for the first shot?

-You're still a TURD :-)

Too much Kool-Aid !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
DR Hunter: can't open your link but if you are asking if the 8x57JRS is rimless; the "R" in the nomenclature means it has a rim. The S means it is .323 groove diameter and the "J", which is really an "I" , means "Infanterie" (Infantry). Otherwise it is a copy of the standard 8x57 German Army round. And it operates at lower pressure.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
I keep telling Biebs that but he just doesn't listen! 2020

Yes, I know, I know...you can hit something with a scoped double at distance, just like you could with a Trap-Door Springfield, a Sharps, or even a decent muzzle-loader. A couple points:

-If you break tradition by scoping a DR, you might as well go to a magazine rifle

Magazine rifles were, for many years after their development, unscoped! Does putting a scope on a bolt rifle break tradition as well?

-If you plan on taking animals at 200-300 yards, and have your choice of weapons, do you really thing a DR is the best choice?

Yes!

-If you needed a 2nd shot, would you use the 2nd barrel, or need to reload the barrel you used for the first shot?

I use the second barrel. With my 9.3X74R, I DO NOT have it sighted for the right barrel only. The rifle and load are properly regulated so that both barrels shoot to the POA. A properly regulated rifle and load should not cross but shoot parallel, the width of each muzzle's center point!

-You're still a TURD :-)

Takes one to know one! Big Grin

Too much Kool-Aid !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Likewise!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOLOLOL!!! I thought that would get you going :-)

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
DR Hunter: can't open your link but if you are asking if the 8x57JRS is rimless; the "R" in the nomenclature means it has a rim. The S means it is .323 groove diameter and the "J", which is really an "I" , means "Infanterie" (Infantry). Otherwise it is a copy of the standard 8x57 German Army round. And it operates at lower pressure.

Thank you

D/R Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD,

Allot of people find the tiger striping case colors very desirable and I personally really like yours. Chemical case colors are not to be looked down on almost all continental (is that the word?) makers do them exclusively. Last time I got a quote for bone and charcoal from VC it was up around $2500, if they could even do it, to much money imo.

I'm sure just like all case colors the picks of yours do not do it justice at all. Especially with the flash turned on Wink

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True. It doesn't look bad at all. I like the bone charcoal CCH that Turnbull does, but I didn't have a choice in this one. In fact, I didn't order Color Case Hardening at all; I just ordered it without engraving. I assumed it would be silver. Turns out that when you order one without engraving, you automatically get CCH.