Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4831 SAFE FOR DOUBLES??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I've been reading Wright's book on doubles and he seems to say this powder can be dangerous for use in doubles, yet he has some loads listed with it. He's really confusing on the subject but is it safe to assume he was referring to older steel doubles and not new ones? Does anybody know the type and weight of powder Hornady uses in their factory loads? thanks guys. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Jorge

I have used it to good effect in my Krieghoff 470 no issues, shoots 4 bullets in a clover shaped hole at 50 yds.
It is accurate and consistent.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge....IMR 4831 is very safe when loaded correctly. It isn't a temp INSENSITIVE powder like the H4831 is, but there's nothing wrong with it. I like RL15 and H4350 for most of my reloads, but the 15 requires a wad...which is OK for me, but some don't care for that.
If your gun likes it, no reason to change.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
When I first got my 470 it was recommended I use R-15. I tired several different combinations to no avail. I finally tried IMR4831 and it worked great. I've since fired in excess of 700 rounds throught that 470 and have had zero issues with it. Unfortunately, it does have greater recoil but it works great in that gun. I've since used it with success in several 450/400s, a 500/450 and 500/465.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gents, thanks for the responses. I'm going to call Hornady on Monday and ask them what they use in their factory stuff like I mentioned. It seems one of our memeber told me once but I can't seem to find the thread.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the comments on the use of IMR-4831 in DRs apply to current manufacture H-4831?

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
When I first got my 470 it was recommended I use R-15. I tired several different combinations to no avail. I finally tried IMR4831 and it worked great. I've since fired in excess of 700 rounds throught that 470 and have had zero issues with it. Unfortunately, it does have greater recoil but it works great in that gun. I've since used it with success in several 450/400s, a 500/450 and 500/465.

Like .470Evans, I have tried both RL15 with a foam wad and IMR 4831 in my .470. IMR 4831 seems to shoot better in my gun.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Mentioned this before to you (if this is the thread you are referring to) that Searcy recommends IMR 4831 for the 450 NE.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yeah I remember now Snow. Got off my duff and looked at my own threads plus many PMs from a lot of you great guys and got most of the answers. Anyhow, thanks to all of you again. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge The Hornady factory load for 480 DGX is 95.5-96 grs. of H4831 for mv of 2120. H4831 works very well in my 450 IMR4831 works very well in my 450/400.

Posts: 107 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 15 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
thanks 450. I'd forgotten you had been kind enough to furnish that for me before. As you can see, my rifle liked .5gr less with IMR and a bit less MV for the group above. Also CCIs. I'm going to try and see how Woodleighs shoot for the hell of it as well. Also, at least I'm putting this Sabbati through an endurance test, 100 rounds and it hasn't "blowed up" yet! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge PM sent

Posts: 107 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 15 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

As nearly as I can tell from reading up on IMR-4831 (which I use exclusively in a 500/450), danger only arises when you do not have good loading density; that is, when you leave a lot of air space in the cartridge because either it is too big, or because you foolishly try a reduced load of IMR-4831. Low loading density risks to flash the flame over to the front of the powder load rather than to burn it rapidly and evenly from the point at the base where the primer fires. This causes a detonation rather than a burn.

This is the reason why any powder,notably including RL-15, must have a light wad on top of the charge if it does not fill up most of the brass. The foam or dacron wad keeps the powder tightly packed for an even burn. In a 3-1/4 inch brass case such as is used for the mid 40s calibers, IMR-4831 IS SAID to have appropriate loading density to avoid problems.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the help guys. On the other thread I posted that I managed to open a factory Hornady DGX and found out their load was 93.7gr of H-4831. So far both IMR and H seem to shoot to regulation, so I'm going to try and load a few with both powders and Woodleighs to see where they shoot and report back. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I would caution the comparison of factory loading for the purpose of hand loading. I expect hornady purchases power in large lots direct from the manufacturer. The burn rates are tested for that specific lot and the powder charge is adjusted accordingly. While it may indeed be H-4831, the load you mention above may or may not be the same for that same ammo produced with another lot of powder. As many have noted before, power can vary significantly from Lot to Lot. I am amazed at the variation I have seen in RL-15. For doubles I recommend you find a specific power that you intend to use, and buy a 8LB jug. That way you can work up a load for that powder and not have to make any changes for some time.

Bottom line, consult the reloading manuals and work up from a known safe load listed in such manuals. Jorge you appear to have found the magic load for your rifle with your specific lot of powder. Congrats on the work….and as a side benefit, you were able to shoot your double over 100 times in the process! Aint it fun!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
IT's been a lot of fun that's for sure! Regarding the powder differences inherent in different lots, yes I was aware of that as well. Another consideration as to why the factory loads perform with what appears to be less powder (by about 1.5gr) is the fact their bullets are heavily crimped and that will definitively bump up velocities. I have a crimping die I can set to duplicate that so my intentions are to load that exact same charge with Hornady DGXs and F215s and go from there.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I don't reload, nor do I know anything much about powders.

I only know that in Safari Rifles II, Craig Boddington recomends IMR 4831 with a bit (a half grain) of (polyester) pillow stuffing as a filler.

He says he has experienced erratic ignition without the filler. But not to get too heavy handed with the filler, as pressures can (will) go up alarmingly.

Thats all I know, hope it helps. Smiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I load IMR-4831 for my VC .470NE and after many rounds have had no issues; consistent velocities, shoots well, low pressure. I also load it for Nganga's .450-.400NE and .500NE and it is equally as good as it is in the .470 as it will be in the .450NE. As another poster stated the problems arise with reduced loads, as long as you maintain good load density you will have no worries, a wee bit more recoil than RL-15 but it is worth it to me not to have to fool with wads.

Good luck!

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
"A wee bit more" ???

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
"A wee bit more" ???

Sissy Big Grin

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I must say this rifle fits me very well. Even off the bench it's no problem working up loads. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Thanks! I must say this rifle fits me very well. Even off the bench it's no problem working up loads. jorge

.450NE is a GREAT cartridge! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
quote:
"A wee bit more" ???

Sissy Big Grin

Sissy? how Many times did you touch it off?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
"A wee bit more" ???

Sissy Big Grin

Once. Once was enough. Momma didn't raise no fools, here. I'll stick with my lady's gun. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
"A wee bit more" ???

Sissy Big Grin

Once. Once was enough. Momma didn't raise no fools, here. I'll stick with my lady's gun. Big Grin

Sissy Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I have loaded hundreds of Butch's recommended 106gr IMR 4831 under 500gr Woodleighs without misshap. I reduce to 104 with solids. I use no filler. Federal 215s only.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve and Andy....sounds like we need to get together and touch a few off.....I have a 500 Jeff that will get your attention.

Hope all is well.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote