THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .577NE Double "Tropical Loads" Info/Experience's Needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.577NE Double "Tropical Loads" Info/Experience's Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Hello fellow "Bwanna's"...Just got me a Gorgeous Westley Richards .577 Double "Best Grade"...Do any of you guys have a "Light" .577NE Double and would you please share your load data with the 650 grain bullets(83gr and /or 90gr Cordite Loads,NOT BP)This is sometimes called the "Tropical Load"...Velocities are around 1850fps...Also,your experiences with it on African Dangerous Game please...I have been told by 2 pros so far that the pentration with these are fantastic and they both have taken several Elephant and Buff with them,"No Problem"! ....Thanks for sharing

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 650 grain bullet at 1850 fps was for the 577 x 2 3/4". It was considered an Indian round and not suitable for African elephant.

Your .577 is probably a 577 x 3" which is regulated for 750 grains at 2050 fps.

On DG I have not used a 577 but I have used a 585 Nyati shooting a 750 grain solid at 2267 fps on one elephant and one buffalo. Penetration was not fantastic at all. I only got about 3.5 feet. An insurance shot on a buffalo that was fired into the top of the spine failed to exit out the bottom of the rib cage. That does not mean it is a bad round. Penetration was adequate, but only adequate.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, if this is the rifle I think it is, no, it's a 90/650 3" gun built as a special lightweight model.

Safari, isn't this the lightweight Westley that was on GA recently? If so, I'd probably start with 100 grains RL 15 with 4 to 5 grains dacron fill and the 650 grain Woodleigh and work up from there shooting over a chronograph. I think 1850 fps was from 28" barrels.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops! A tiger gun on a 3 inch case. I wonder how much full power loads would cross at 25 yards.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan:

If it's the gun I'm thinking of, yeah, a purpose-built tiger rifle, built light. Don't know how much 100/750s would cross. Not sure I'd want to get kicked hard enough to find out. Wink Stunning rifle though.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the full patch 750 grain load is 119 grains of rel 15 with 5 grains of dacron thats ross seyfired load and butch i belive uses 125 grains of rel 15 and a 750 grain bullet but his load is to be used in his guns only primer is fed 215.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote