Find
Notify
Tools

New QR sight on Merkel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
Just got my Merkel back from the gunsmith. Besides a new pad, I had him install a Burris Fast Fire on top of an american defense quick release mount. First, he drilled\taped the rib for the base.
Had to make sure it was low enough to still use irons if needed

We'll have to see how much regulation was effected (if it even was) since the install. Will have to be once we finally get dug out of all this snow and can get to a range.

Have the DocOptik on my Sabatti but thought I would give the Burris and the QR a try.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Thats a cool setup. Nicely done!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, my eyes are going to need something like that soon. Nicely done, unobtrusive job there, look like it belongs on the rifle.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Beau and I both had similar set-ups put on our 500NE Merkels last year and they have worked just as I designed them. I posted pics and gave the base info in an earlier post.

These red dots are the answer to failing eyesight.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Beau and I both had similar set-ups put on our 500NE Merkels last year and they have worked just as I designed them. I posted pics and gave the base info in an earlier post.

Mike and I had several conversations around this and I actually used the pics he sent/had posted to start this setup.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I was glad to help. How do you like the QR mount? Looks like it sets higher than the standard Burris mount, which is easy enough to remove/instal?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like it sets higher than the standard Burris mount, which is easy enough to remove/instal?

1/8" higher than the Burris mount it came with. I like the QR lever, no screwing/unscrewing a nut and worrying about how tight I have it.
No time in the short foreseeable future to make the range, so time will tell.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in your opinion of the QR mount after you have some rounds down range. I have considered them. If you don't have to move your cheek-weld up on the stock it should be good to go. Please let me know when you can.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would be very curious to see an Aimpoint Micro in a low mount attached there.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
How does the Burris sight work, exactly?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
The FastFire III is a 3MOA red dot with windage and elevation adjustments and different light intensities. Just as you would with a normal recticle scope, you sight at a predefined distance and hold as needed. Red dots tend to allow faster acquisition.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be interested in your opinion of the QR mount after you have some rounds down range. I have considered them. If you don't have to move your cheek-weld up on the stock it should be good to go. Please let me know when you can.

Mike,
had a few minutes at the range today. With the QR mount, I did not notice having to raise my check even though it sits a bit higher. I don't bury my check into the stock even when using irons though, just a lite lay on. I will have to develop a load or try different ammo though. The DGS ammo grouping opened up with the addition of the base and mount. Even with the QR mount and sight off (base still installed) and using irons, the grouping is not as tight as it was before. 50 yards it's about a 5" horizontal spread (using a set of homemade shooting sticks). I did not check accuracy off the bench today as I didn't have time.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I would not be surprised if the temperature is affecting your ammo,I have dokter optic sights on my big bore DR's,I have never noticed a change in regulation.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
I would not be surprised if the temperature is affecting your ammo,I have dokter optic sights on my big bore DR's,I have never noticed a change in regulation.

I have a Doc sight on my Sabatti. The sight did not effect regulation and I don't notice that much a change when shooting that in the same weather. Possible due to differences in powder though.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I agree with the prior two posters. We noticed no difference in group size after installation of the red dots. Temperature can, for sure play a role and I think it is still pretty cool in PA, yes? If your previous groups were shot during Summer weather for instance, then the cold could be the problem. Since you also fired with the red-dot removed and still had a 5" spread. Also, you really must shoot it from the bench to minimize shooter error.

Keep us appraised.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great looking sight, I want one on a Merkel. tu2
I am experimenting with scope weights on a 6.5# 20ga RBL double "bore-rifle."
So far, increasing the scope weight from 6.5 ounces to 14 ounces affected vertical spread and horizontal spread by no more than 2".
I am going to a 20-ounce scope next.
Heavier rifles than my flyweight rifle should show even lesser effects.
Adding weight would be expected to decrease the horizontal divergence, or possibly make a formerly parallel shooter cross.
This Burris red-dot is so minimal in weight it must surely be of no consequence.
That is why I want one on my Merkel.
Thanks for the recipe, to all y'all. tu2

I agree with others above, about ambient temperature and/or a temperature sensitive powder being the more likely culprit.
Lower temp, lower pressure and velocity.
That will diverge the two barrels' POIs.
Speed up the load, such as with increased ambient temperature, and they will come back together.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding pedantic, i'd like to see something that would allow a sight like this to be mounted where the final positioning is down low, equal to the height of the open sights.

I'm a real "stock-jockey" and my V.C comes up naturally to rest with the rear blade in perfect position relative to my cheek placement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not rubbishing your set up, if it works for you.. more's the power to you, but my own instinctive style of shooting wants what-ever sighting method employed to be literally "welded" down low on the barrel.

Great set up, awesome looking double there, the "Merks" are great guns !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If it weren't for my Burris Fastfire III on my double I wouldn't be shooting. . . at all! Doctor says that my eyes suffer from , "Too many birthdays"!
You are going to really like that sight!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen! I have two Trijicon RMRs, one for my 450-400 and one for my on-order 375 H&H Flanged. The one on the 450-400 shoots right on the money, as does the scope that I have for it. tu2 And, the iron sights are accurate as well. Love it when you can add versatility to your doubles! Big Grin