THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Larry's Lion/Buffalo game scene progression
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larry's Lion/Buffalo game scene progression
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought some of you might enjoy seeing the progress on the engraving of this game scene. Obviously a little self serving, but maybe the tradeoff for y'all seeing it come to life makes it a wash, so here goes.

Starting off with a 22k gold border, the inlay line is marked with pencil, then a scribe, and cut the a square graver. The sides of the cut are undercut with a dinky little flat chisel. Gold wire is hammered into the cannel with enough force to push the gold into the undercuts. The remaining gold left proud of the surface is stoned off the area is repolished. A little "chinese white" is rubed on the area to be engraved so pencil marks show up.

The scene is of a male lion ahold of a buffalo by the nose. I used a picture from the internet as a refference. Here is my rough sketch on the steel.

This will be a deeply carved scene, so the background has to be DEEP. The idea is to break up the scene into layers, and the more depth on the background, the more layers I can cut for more realism. Background removal is like digging a ditch for engravers. Monotinous work, but it has to be right. The first few cuts...

This scene will have a matt background. The background is relatively small, and the "action" going on in the scene needs to be the only focus. Once the background is deep enough and flat, it is stippled with a sharp point. Here you can see the scribe marks providing the general lines for the scene and the finished background.

More to come tomorrwo...

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Leonardo Da Vinci was dead!

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello
At Dallas, this will be like the carnival seeing the fat bearded lady. I will have a tent set up $5.00 admission to see and hold the gun. I need to pay Bailey some how.
Bailey I just got home see ya soon.
Drool baby Drool

Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I hope you left those big tuskers for me when I return with dad to hunt with Karl.

You have a masterpiece coming along there!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This what the other side will look like
[IMG:top] [/IMG]

What is unusal about this picture anybody Know????

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bail
No new pictures yet????
Larry

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry, WOW..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here I am starting to establish the different layers. I like to start with the lowest layers first and make my way up. It is easier for me to control the depth of each layer this way. The buffalo's horn is the highest layer, followed by the lions nose and lower paw, then his forehead and eyes along with the Buff's face and eye. The lion's mane and buffalo's neck make up the lowest layers.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not much on animal engraving, but I do love the deep relief on the top that action.

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well hell, I've gotten a descent amount of work complete on this, but all of the pictures I took were out of focus. All of those shiny surfaces are hard to photograph. I'll get more in natural light tomorrow. Just didn't want y'all to think I had forgotten about this thread

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bail
We just thought you were napping.
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCCCHHHHNOOOOOCKK ( thats how you spell the snore sound of a startled engraver)

Finally snapped a few pics of the scene. There is still a lot to do, but it's moving along.

The engraving chisels I use are a 90degree square graver, a couple of flats, two polished punches for chasing, and a fine pinted tool similar to a bulino tool.

Some of the carving is heavy cutting, some just brushing dust sized chipps with the sharp shoulder of the graver.

Here are the pics. The last one is the lion's face as viewed through one lens of my microscope ( 10X ).

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dam old friend that looks great!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bails, I'll slip you $1,000 at Dallas if you make it come out looking like Burt Lahr from the Wizard of Oz! :-)

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Bails, I'll slip you $1,000 at Dallas if you make it come out looking like Burt Lahr from the Wizard of Oz! :-)

Just engrave in "Put up your dukes" next to the Lion

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was joking with Aaron that I should have made the first cuts that outline the scene look like the lion and buff were making out. Larry may have had a coniption though. I don't want to hurt the man :-)

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just engrave in "Put up your dukes" next to the Lion

Or under the Lion..."Courage" in gold letters! LOLOLOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey

Thanks for posting these pics. One gets to see that talent/skill that goes into the artwork.

Simply AWESOME!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey
Please dont even respond to Biebs or Hook.
They both are having withdrawls. Eeker
They can't stand it I will be first kid on the block to have this great masterpiece. Cool
Please don't let either of these two touch it even, they may run off with it. Yelling all the way
ITS MINE YES ITS MINE. killpc
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ENGRAVE (PIMP DADDY SPECIAL) on the barrel Big Grin PLEASE!!!!!!!

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Guy's
Now that its such a great looker
It will be $300 to get your cookies off with this little darling.
Thats what PIMP DADDIES do right!!!!!!!!!
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't nobody gettin no cookies off in my booth, $300 or not.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bails, at Larry's age, the show would be long over by the time he got that far!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
too late I have already been to bailey's shop and fondled it during the build rotflmo you an't never getting all that DNA off it jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THERE'S too much information!!!!!!!!!! :-(

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I cant make any promises Bailey. If one of those models walks by...

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cant make any promises Bailey. If one of those models walks by...

Then you'll buy another chance at something at other, or another magazine subscription!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody is gonna DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE archer

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing Bailey and the rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, a couple of days till it's show time. The scene is 99% finished, next will be the scrollwork on the side and top tang. That is probably all the engraving I will be able to complete before the show though. I hope y'all will understand it's still a work in progress. Just so much time in a day.

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
OH MY!

Wonderful thread. Thank you for posting the work in progress.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a lot of effort and skill Bailey. Thanks for sharing the process with us.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote