New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyon & Lyon .577 BP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new toy a Lyon & Lyon .577 BP express top lever hammer rifle. Barrels are marked: “LYON & LYON. 16 CHOWRINGEE ROAD< CALCUTTA “ and “JAs. LYON LATE WITH JAs. Purdey & SONS. LONDON” She has 28 inch barrels and a lovely full rib.

I even have three original KYNOCH rds with the copper tubed lead bullet so loved by “Pondoro”. I think that I will be able to use new .577 NE brass from Jamison. Is there any one here that knows a source for lead bullets? I think I will try and develop a “Nitro for black” load, she would be an interesting girl to take to Africa. From all reports she has taken at least one tiger in her life.

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Dave Powell, who owns Gunsinternational.com. He always helps me out with questions regarding the early BP and Nitro for Black rifles. Great looking piece, and in a caliber that can still be used in Africa on DG. A 650gr bullet at 1,650-1,700 fps or so with a smokeless load will do it!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had LBT make several molds for 577s.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a lovely double you have there. I briefly owned a Greener Martini in .577 3-inch. Only shot it a couple of times as it was one of those projects that is now in the hands of another Martini enthusiast, but it was very pleasant to shoot indeed. NEI has some molds worth looking at, and you make find yours performs well with one of the various Minie molds depending on chamber/bore/groove specs.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 650gr mold from Mr Powell. If I was going purchase a new mold, I would contact Tom at Accurate Molds.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I used LBT in Moyie,Idaho for my 650gr .577 mold. Great workmanship and customer service.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I does like that rifle!

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
I does like that rifle!

Dutch

Darn TOOTIN'!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John

Do you know the history of the gun ?

reason I ask is it looks very familiar to one that was over here a while back which was also restocked.

I liked it as it was a top lever hammer gun.

I just don't think I have any photos of it
so can't do a visual check.

Anyway, good pick up.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I hope you hunt something mean & nasty with that one!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle, that.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
Send rigmike a PM. He moulds his own .577bpe slugs and is most experienced with the 2.75", 3", and Snyder.
Many reference the 650gr slug for the .577bpe 3", and it was common, but H&H won the famous field trials with a 502gr slug. With today's hard cast alloys, a 500gr .577 slug at 1800fps will hammer them.
Some .577's were regulated for lighter bullets. Does yours have the load engraved on it?
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
Love the looks of that rifle, I think top lever hammer guns are about as classy as they come. In my 577 3" I'm using an old 610 gr NEI mould Walt made for me by running one of they're standard, I think it was a 570 gr, reamers a bit deeper in the mould blocks. Using Ross Seyfrieds 40 % formula of 4198 and about 17 grains of dacron it shoots great. You do have to use magnum primers however to avoid hang fires. I've found this to be true in my 577/500 #2 also, I think it has to do with the larger interior base diameter as standard primers work in my 500.
Again, great looking rifle, have fun.
Best.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote