THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Limitations of a Double Rifle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limitations of a Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Double Rifle?

I can't see why anyone would want one.

But by all means use whatever rifle blows you're skirt up.

History, romance, curiosity, challenge, effectiveness in the forests where I hunt here in south/central Missouri, aesthetics, plain old fashioned absolute quality, (though some are not so "plain"), investment potential whether considered or not, pleasure of ownership and just simple "cool factor".

For obvious reasons there isn't many DR owners where I live in. By national standards it's a rather impoverished area. The half dozen men I know who own doubles run the gamut of income from me at the very bottom to immensely successful businessmen, doctors and lawyers. Me, I'm a lowly electrician who owned a small business and made a decent living but have never been, am not now nor ever will be wealthy.

When we gather to talk double rifles everyone is equal regardless of whether their doubles are like mine, 130-140 years old in obsolete cartridges, (which is why I could afford them), or brand new from a "best gun" maker. In our group there is no "level". It isn't about "us", it's about the rifles.

The limitations of doubles? Sure, they have some and, as best I can tell, they've all been mentioned. I do not believe nor will I ever be convinced that any of their limitations are applicable to me or where I hunt. So far, at nearly 64, I am still blessed with excellent vision and don't use scopes...on anything. That limits me in low light but I don't see it as a disadvantage. It's a condition I readily accept.

For me the biggest reason is to challenge myself. At least 30 years ago after killing probably my 20th deer with a scoped Mod. 70 in 270 the thought that had been processing in my mind finally came to fruition. Hunting that way was simply too easy. If I saw a game animal out to 400 yards odds were pretty good I could kill it if I wanted. To put the "hunt" back into hunting from that day forward I eschewed scoped rifles chambered in high intensity, modern cartridges. Everything since then has been hunted with old, open sighted rifles often chambered in BP cartridges loaded with cast bullets or flintlock muzzleloaders firing PRB's.

That's me. That's what I like, what excites me, brings a smile to my face and keeps hunting enjoyable. If all that was available was scoped, bolt action rifles I would have stopped hunting 30 years ago with a rifle. My choices often raise eyebrows among most but those who understand simply smile, knowingly.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Cal, 2018 is in the diary in pencil! Would be very keen to combine it with a guided black bear hunt for both Anja and myself!

I send you a PM on it.

In the interim looking forward to hearing, reading about the 2017 shoot !

Cheers

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharps, great explanation. A DR is not the most effective weapon...neither is a bow, but it brings the "hunt" back in hunting, along with the nostalgia and tradition.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Sharps, great explanation. A DR is not the most effective weapon...neither is a bow, but it brings the "hunt" back in hunting, along with the nostalgia and tradition.

Well said,My scoped 338 Lapua that I bought from you is a hammer of Thor on game & I have killed a lot of game with it,but when I think hunting now? I seem to only think of DR,s or lever actions,up close & personal just feels like a hunt.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Cal, 2018 is in the diary in pencil! Would be very keen to combine it with a guided black bear hunt for both Anja and myself!

I send you a PM on it.

In the interim looking forward to hearing, reading about the 2017 shoot !

Cheers

Charlie

Charlie:
When your trip here is about a year away, email me and I will send you info on black bear guiding.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last three elk Ive shot have been in excess of 300 yards, Id get mighty hungry hunting elk with a double where I hunt..and doubles are too damn heavy to hunt my favorite spots in Idaho where no flat ground exists..I love the guns, owned a number of them, but elk hunting today is way to iffy to please my cardologist who insist I eat venison and no more beef....Where I used to pick my bulls is no longer, and if you pass up an opertunity at any bull, you may very well go home empty handed, its gotten that bad with poor management and liberal wolves in Idaho.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote