Notify
Tools

George Hoenig DR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
I borrowed this from the Custom Rifle forum, amazing: GeorgeHoenigDR

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are super cool and super unique. But from a utility standpoint they look like they'd take a week to reload? I don't know that for sure has anybody ever played with one?

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
yes many of us have played with them. Cool but I think a novelty. Great fit and finsh. Yes I believe they would be quite slow to reload.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I would argue against the idea of the Rotary rifle as pure novelty. It wasn't designed just to be different, it is the result of a master gunbuilder's thoughts on rifle building and what works, what does not, and how to make a double with as few weaknesses (technically speaking) possible. And this based on many, many years of working on and building guns of all sorts. The reloading part is what most people get hung up on and I can see that, but if reloading were the only factor in building a rifle, they'd all be auto-loaders, bolt etc. And consider that most of these rifles have been built as 9.3x74 down to .17 HMR (although he now does offer a 450 NE), so the application of the rifle in the field doesn't necessarily hinge on quick reloading in the face of a charge as a sole point of performance.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
....................................................................... thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Violated the hell out of the K.I.S.S. principal

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
....................................................................... thumbdown

Don't sugar coat it Mac.....tell us how you really feel!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

Wow....overly sensitive? I would love to own one, just not at that price. I just don't think they are that practical. Really cool though. I did not say that I think they are not worth the price for the work that is put in them. I stand by my comment. I think there is a lot better choices out there that will function quicker in the field.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I really like that. Not the classic traditional look but still better than an O/U.

If one can load a CZ magnum bolt rifle from the shoulder then one can reload any gun quickly. JMHO

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really like that. Not the classic traditional look but still better than an O/U

It is an O/U , just loads as a SxS

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Cool design and I'd have one in a collection if money was not an issue.
I have to say I think B. Bradshaw's D/R is the best action choice.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I would have no interest in one. thumbdown I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to my double rifles! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
scope mount is an abortion

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This would make a better conversation if ONE of you actually owned one of George's rifles and had hunted with it.

Or, had the technical background to be able to discuss the design intelligently.

Sadly, George's customers, and he is back ordered significantly; do not seem to have your grasp of the design issues and/or deficiencies.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
scope mount is an abortion

Good grief.

HEre is a video of George from SCI this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dGD0lgZuPs

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Watching him open and close the action doesn't look that cumbersome after all. I think I'll stand corrected on my previous statements to field functionality.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
This would make a better conversation if ONE of you actually owned one of George's rifles and had hunted with it.

Or, had the technical background to be able to discuss the design intelligently.

Sadly, George's customers, and he is back ordered significantly; do not seem to have your grasp of the design issues and/or deficiencies.

So do you enjoy yours?

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had the pleasure of handling one of George's rifles, but I've always admired their beauty and original design. I'd like to play with one, shoot it a few times, and then make judgement on whether I think it would be comfortable for me to operate and whether I like the strength of the action. It sure looks strong as it gets.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've handled, but not shot one, and I thought it was superb.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote