Find
Notify
Tools

New HEYM Culling Belts
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
We've been working for a couple of years now to put together a comprehensive line of leather goods for big bores and doubles.

Here are a couple of culling belts that I just received.

The top belt is elephant, and the bottom belt is hippo.

Each belt is cartridge-specific, and made to the appropriate height to allow easy access to the cartridges.

The belt portion is 1.75" tall, and solid brass roller buckles are used exclusively.

These new belts are heavy-duty and are almost a full 1/2" behind the loops. This extra rigidity not only adds to the longevity of the belt itself, but it strengthens the cartridge loops and makes the cartridges easier to remove.

A unique feature is the angle of the loops. We have angled them outwards a bit to make cartridge removal faster and easier.

We will try to stock some belts in common caliber and waist combinations, but with so many variables there, this product lends itslef more to custom-orders.

The regular leather belts (cow hide) are availble for $290.

The exotic skins will be more of course, but you can also provide your own exotic leather... elephant, cape buffalo, croc, hippo, etc...

Knife sheaths, leatherman holders, flashlight holders, etc... are all possible and can be made from the same leather to match your belt and accessories.

These are all of best quality materials and workmanship. I invite you to compare them to anything you like... you won't be disappointed. They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny.

Gun cases are coming next week! Stand by...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice looking leather.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Great idea for Heym to branch out! But should the ammo belts not have open bottom sections, for easier/2-finger cartridge extraction, with less chance for collecting sand/dirt?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Above is my question as well.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Very nice belts. I prefer the bottom of the loop closed like the ones in the picture.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I'm familiar with the open bottom variety, but i never liked the idea of pushing up ceartridges with one finger from the bottom while trying to control it also from the top.

With an inch or so of the cartridge above the loop, I can grasp the rim quit easily, extract the new cartridge from the belt and chamber without regripping the cartridge.

I suppose if you wanted an open bottom variety that we could make that too. It would be easier to construct and sew.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
They will also be branded with the HEYM logo and "safari collection."

If you, however, own a Merkel or Holland and want to own the best culling belt money can buy, then we can put that on the inside, and you can still appear brand loyal. Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are absolutely first class!

Posts: 48 | Location: About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23) | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Yes Top Notch!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'd like to lounge around a Starbucks in dirty safari kit with one of those culling belts, fully loaded, and enjoy the stares ...

--Walter Mitty

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Is Will making these for Heym? Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
No, but wait until he finds out they are also planning to offer a line of sleeveless safari shirts ...

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The leather goods are made in the US, but Will was not able to commit to our anticipated volume requirements.

However, we are in negotiations now to become the exclusive, global distributor of the “Bill Stewart Sleeveless Safari Shirt."

We're thinking of marketing it as the "BSSSS".

For the sake of the world's safari community... Wish us luck!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I have been counting my pennies for a new Bill Murray Belt - looks like the choice just got harder!
Looks lovely!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work! Looks awesome
when I get my ele panels back, might have to have one of them Wink

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like my good friend Jim has been busy stitching away.....nice stuff as always!

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
...we are in negotiations now to become the exclusive, global distributor of the “Bill Stewart Sleeveless Safari Shirt."

We're thinking of marketing it as the "BSSSS".

For the sake of the world's safari community... Wish us luck!

You need all the luck in the world. Surely you jest!! rotflmo clap

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I do not like rifle cartridge belts with exposed bullets.

I have used some in the distant past.

First the bullets seem to catch on everything.
They get damaged on the tips.

Also they will work farther down into the loops as they get pressed on from the primer end.

And sometimes the bullets get banged and loosen up in the case necks.

Also something can push up on the bullet, causing you to loose rounds out of the top of the carrier. Like whenever seated, in a vehicle, ATV on horseback, in a blind etc.

Just my experiences, but I do not like exposed bullet rifle carriers.

Handgun, yes, but handgun bullets do not extend past the belt or out of the loops very far.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will get one in ele for my new Heym 470 and add the sheath for my knife and for my Surefire. Cheers Chris and see you next month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a homepage for these belts? Cant find it on heymusa.com...

Also, a price list for the different hides..?

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xile84:
Do you have a homepage for these belts? Cant find it on heymusa.com...

Also, a price list for the different hides..?

Sorry, we've put the cart before the horse on that front.

Here are the specs...
Made to your waist size and caliber of choice:
> Cow leather: $300
> Hippo & Elephant: $500 (less 25% if you provide the leather.)
> Other exotics by quotation

FYI - the exotic leathers not only cost more as a raw mateiral, but they require more work on the loops too. The loops have to be backed (on the inside) with cow leather.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Also they will work farther down into the loops as they get pressed on from the primer end.

Also something can push up on the bullet, causing you to loose rounds out of the top of the carrier. Like whenever seated, in a vehicle, ATV on horseback, in a blind etc.

Handgun, yes, but handgun bullets do not extend past the belt or out of the loops very far.

Personal preference here as in other things.

I will only use carriers with the bullets exposed. I've purchased two with the bullets covered in the past and ended up cutting the bottom off on both. I suppose it depends on what bullets you use as to whether on not they can get damaged from being exposed. I only shoot the CEB Solids and Non-Cons or Barnes Banded Solids and TSX when hunting DG so those bullet tips are not going to be damaged.

I've never had a bullet work it's way further in with the tips exposed but I've had more than my share of cartridges fall out the top of carriers with the bottoms covered because I couldn't get them in far enough to be secure. Once they work themselves loose with a little wear, there is no way to secure them by pushing them in further. And they always do loosen up with wear. I just find it easier to push them up from the bottom but then again, some reload a double with the right hand and some reload with the left hand. I don't think there is right or wrong way, just different preferences.

And since Chris stated that he can build them either way, we should all have our preferences covered. Again, that is some nice looking leather! Top notch!!

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Chris, these look very nice....you're always working at it. Thanks!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'm going to have to start saving my money for some of those belts!

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

I will only use carriers with the bullets exposed. I've purchased two with the bullets covered in the past and ended up cutting the bottom off on both. I suppose it depends on what bullets you use as to whether on not they can get damaged from being exposed. I only shoot the CEB Solids and Non-Cons or Barnes Banded Solids and TSX when hunting DG so those bullet tips are not going to be damaged.

I've never had a bullet work it's way further in with the tips exposed but I've had more than my share of cartridges fall out the top of carriers with the bottoms covered because I couldn't get them in far enough to be secure. Once they work themselves loose with a little wear, there is no way to secure them by pushing them in further. And they always do loosen up with wear. I just find it easier to push them up from the bottom but then again, some reload a double with the right hand and some reload with the left hand. I don't think there is right or wrong way, just different preferences.

And since Chris stated that he can build them either way, we should all have our preferences covered. Again, that is some nice looking leather! Top notch!!

Same for me. I like to be able to push them from the bottom as well. Its faster for me and dont have problems with them getting pushed in further or having them pushed out the tops.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHRIS, ANY UPDATE ON THE RIFLE CASES YOU MENTIONED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE THREAD?
THANKS!
MARK

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Chris, why was I not informed of this ???? I was forced to use another product this month, although now I have the elephant and hippo hides inbound, I suppose I can be persuaded to commission a pair of these, one for the 416, in elephant, and one in 375, in hippo. Big Grin

Very nice looking stuff. I'll be calling this week.

And uh, btw, can we talk about an extra set of barrels for my 88? Either that, or I'll need another rifle......

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 351 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris: PM has been sent to you about the belts/sheaths. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These belts look really nice!!!

Sorry if I missed it but where are they made?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Spiffing idea, Chris, but if I'm out hunting with the elephant belt and am confronted with buffalo, will it still work? Smiler

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Spiffing idea, Chris, but if I'm out hunting with the elephant belt and am confronted with buffalo, will it still work? Smiler

Yes. We actually find that to be a 100% effective combination!!!

All the leather goods are made in the US... sorry for the delay, but we are just back from Moz... will get everything caught up in a day or two.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chris: Can you get back to me with a PM on my request? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work! Man I wish I could afford to go on safari so I had an excuse to wear one. I thought about buying some lead free and using my 375 for all my hunting here in central CA, then I could dress up and pretend at least. I wonder how often bucks charge? Smiler

Great stuff man, keep it up.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I AM JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE THAT ORDERED A CULLING BELT HAS RECIVED IT AND WHAT THEY THOUGHT OF IT?
THANKS!
MARK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were a big hit at the Dallas show.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Safari James picked up two belts and a matching gun slip at DSC.

You can PM him.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased one of the Hippo Culling Belts at the DSC show from Chris....very nice looking and well constructed.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MCHURCH470:
I AM JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE THAT ORDERED A CULLING BELT HAS RECIVED IT AND WHAT THEY THOUGHT OF IT?
THANKS!
MARK

I picked up two elephant hide culling belts (450/400 and .375) and an elephant hide gun slip for my 450/400 at the DSC show last week. I am ordering another gun slip in .375 for my daughter and matching knife sheaths for the two culling belts and a case for my folder.

The quality of the leather goods far surpassed my expectations. My experience with Chris Sells and Heym has been nothing but extraordinary.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
Great idea for Heym to branch out! But should the ammo belts not have open bottom sections, for easier/2-finger cartridge extraction, with less chance for collecting sand/dirt?

Chris I think there is a good reason for those little openings in the bottom of the cartridge loops to drain water and/or sand out the bottom. That wasn't a real problem to do with the belts you are doing,

quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
I'm familiar with the open bottom variety, but i never liked the idea of pushing up ceartridges with one finger from the bottom while trying to control it also from the top.

Like you I don’t like the fully open bottoms so the cartridges can be pushed up from the bottom, especially for double rifle use. For that I like the way yours have the tops high enough above the tops of the belt but I’d prefer them in pairs with a space between each pair so the rimmed cartridges can be pulled two at a time, However I do like the little drain holes on either side of the bullet at the bottom of the loop.

quote:

Also they will work farther down into the loops as they get pressed on from the primer end. .

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd it is a personal thing but I don’t like the fully open bottoms either, but do like drainage hole in the bottoms of the loops. The open bottoms work for you, and that is what counts!
These belts and knife sheaths are very well made, and I’m sure if you wanted one with open bottoms The guy might make you a one off and brand it to your V/C 577NE.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The belts and gun slips turned out to be a big hit at DSC, and we'll have more to show in Reno.

Despite our best intentions, we can’t continue the 25% discount for using the client’s leather.

We were trying to be fair, but with so many varieties in thickness, keeping up with everyone's remnants, etc... Using the client’s skins is actually more work than using our own.

You are welcome to send your own, but the cost will be the same whether we use your skin or ours.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947