THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bad News for Me & My 470 NE Searcy DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad News for Me & My 470 NE Searcy DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shortly after Butch Searcy and I agreed on me getting a new Classic in 470 Nitro express, I was told I needed shoulder surgery. I had a bad tear in the rotator cuff and after the surgery the doc kept me restricted from shooting for many months.
I got my new DR from Butch just a couple of weeks ago, but still haven't taken a single shot with it because my other shoulder has been hurting, I mean "can't sleep" type hurting. Just got word that my other shoulder will need surgery and I will not be able to shoot for many more months afterwards.
Only good word is that once this second shoulder is fixed, I should never again have any shoulder problems. Does anyone believe that?
My current hope is that I will be recovered enough by November so that I will be able to get out and hunt with more than a 22 rimfire.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy recovery.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
That sucks Bob, but at least it sounds like they are going to be able to get you fixed up. I have almost as much fun fondling my double as I do shooting it so at least you can still play with and admire your Searcy. tu2

Good luck!

Cheers,
Andy

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Sorry you can't shoot your beautiful new double. Do the theropy and you will be shooting soon. I had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago and yes it did effect my shooting and I have to go easy on my shoulder. It still hurts and burns all the time. It just takes time and the more you shoot the more you will become able to handle recoil. Maybe you should get a 22LR double in the mean time.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that really sounds like torture! Get well soon.

D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happened to me last year. I actually tore my cuff trying to unstick a case from my press. It was six months before an elephant hunt.
DO your therapy. I can shoot now without a problem. Have you considered some low velocity practice loads? It will still be a little while, but less punishing than hunting ammo.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Don't WORRY!!

I had a the same thing done and I am 100% now...it was a bad tear too.

Get it done asap so that you will heal over the summer and be ready to hunt.

I had surgery in May and was shooting a hunting bow by september!

Di it now, recover, and you're in business...I give you a 100% garantee!!

Frank

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your surgery.

If you feel that your Searcy will get lonely, I can send you my address. I promise to take good care of the gun, shoot it often, clean it well, and make sure it has a very good home until you recover.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm putting off getting my rotator cuff repaired until after my Buff hunt in June.

I can go without sleep for a few months, I can't not go hunting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting old in not for pussy's. Stay strong ,don't give up. Take her out the safe on sunday morning for a little oil and enjoy the hunting show while she sits in your lap, you will enjoy it, trust me I know.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Just said a prayer for you.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bob, I hope you get better real soon!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I have also had shoulder troubles. Let it recover fully and you will be fine.

I had a complete replacement of my right shoulder joint. It took a full year but I am one of the most recoil tollerant guys I know now.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my right should done in December of 07. By July of 08, I was in Argentina shooting high volume doves and ducks.

Do the therapy you will be fine. Also anything you can do prior to surgery to get you muscles in better physical condition will be most helpful. I lifted weights the day before mine. The doctors said the conditioning made things go much better.

Good luck!

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i had an AC 5 seperation in august of 09 - 5 months later, i was cleared to shoot. - took me awhile to trust it.. now, its a non-issue

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have the docs insert a recoil pad when they do the surgery. You will be better than new.

hilbily

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
Take her out the safe on sunday morning for a little oil and enjoy the hunting show while she sits in your lap, you will enjoy it, trust me I know.

JD

I thought this was the double rifle forum? As for what you keep in your safe, to each his own.....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow the Doc's orders, eat right, get plenty of rest and do every damn bit of those gawd awful PT exercises they give you. They hurt like hell but are really neccessary. I am just over 1 year out from my hip surgery and can Squat 255 for 6 and can run a 7:17 mile. I do kindly offer my services as a shooter to take all that nasty recoil while you watch and chuckle.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update After Surgery:
I had the surgery on my left shoulder in May (Had the opposite one repaired last August).
Afterward, the doc said I was lucky I hadn't delayed any longer. If I had, he might not have been able to do the 5 repairs that he identified once he was inside.
Doc eventually said mine was a "|Massive" repair and the PT (Physical Terrorist) lady must be cautious, due to the fact that the rotator was worn so thin that the doctor was afraid that any aggressive action could easily tear the stiches from the anchors that were installed.
Am doing the PT, and having significant pain 24/7, even with pain meds. Unfortunayely, my physiology is such that only 2 of 8 different narcotic pain meds provide any relief, and those 2 for only 2 or so hours.
When the other shoulder was done, I had the same pain problem. It took over twelve weeks befor it calmed down to where I could sleep.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayer for your healing has been sent up!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
piss on all the other advice have butch send me the new rifle and I will lovingly break it in for you Big Grin Big Grin and write and article about it after that shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote