THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A Crazy Dream or a Clever Scheme?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Crazy Dream or a Clever Scheme?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted
Hi Folks

I have an FN 12 Br Sidelock inherited from my dad. He believed it to be made about 1926.

I am really keen on a 450 Rigby 3 1/4". Would it be feasable to create a set of barrels to fit the FN to have an interchangable gun, and would this be a desirable way to go. The gun fits me and I know it like the back of my hand.

The barrels are 55mm wide at the action (chamber)

Pics follow:

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there was a Norwegian guy who made s/s .45-70 pistol, so it cant be impossible.
but will the action stand up to the pressure of a .450?
the modern steel-proved shotguns seems to be proved for 1050bar = 15225psi

i would consult a gunsmith who REALLY knows what he is doing, before spending money on the project.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
This "problem", we discussed here or in other forums so often. A double rifle made from a shotgun is prossible and I saw it here and in other forums. Mostly for rounds like the .45-70, .405WCF or 8x57IRS.
But it´s better to choose a 20gauge shotgun and not a 12. The smaller baskule can take more forces.

Martin

PS: Sorry, my English is not the best, to describe this exactly. Wink

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
possible, yes .. probable, sure ... good results? it might be tough.

you must check the proofs, do the bolt thrust equations, and realize that you MUST be lesser bolt thrust than the proof load .. otherwise, every shot is a proof+

a 12 will be slightly heavy, but that happens ...

its been done, quite a bit ... the devil is in the regulation

boltthrust is the surface area*psi -- should measure internal

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One potential problem could be in balance. Double shotgun barrels are light compared to double rifle barrels. Unless something is done to increase weight in the butt stock and action areas the rifle will be very muzzle heavy. That will negate the great advantage of neutral balance in a double rifle for that alive feeling.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
stephen

That action could proberly stand it, your problem would be to have a set of barrels proberly struck up so you will get the RIGHT feeling of the gun will cost you about as much as a entry level double rifle in that caliber. if the work is cheaper than that then you will most likely get what you pay for.

the weight distribution of a double rifle is in the action and the barrels, extra weight in the butt stock is a complete misunderstanding of how the balance works.

you can have barrels made and then the whole contraption needs to be proffed by a notable proffing institute, if it survives that then you are good to go and about 7-10.000,-$ lighter in your wallet.

just my oppinion, take it at face value, the medium calibers are a lot more sutible for a conversion on the 12 bore actions.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hallo Palos!.

Peter is right..once every starts get to roll you`ll end up where it would have been more sensible to get the real thing.

Here is a good DR at Champlins. A good level to start.
http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1648

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun in the Champlin link above, belongs to our own Frank Martinez. This gun is built "Hell for Stout". Recoil would be very light at its weight. I look at it again, each time I am there. I love the hammer guns...
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F M's rifle is heavy enough to be a 577 NE!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got two FNs like the one you posted a picture of. One is a 12ga that is IDENTICAL!

The other WAS a 16ga. It has been converted, much as you suggest to do. Had it set up with rifled barrels in 20ga.

As someone stated if you start with a 12ga you will end up with a VERY heavy rifle. With the 20ga ( .62 inch ) barrels and then them being only 22 inches long mine weighs in at about 7 pounds.

Nice old shotguns and plenty strong.....

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Thanks All!

This plan now filed as "Crazy Dream"

Have to save up or sell something towards a "real" double I guess.......

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote