Find
Notify
Tools

500/416
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
To follow up on the K gun post. Can I get some feedback from those with experience with the 500/416. How does it compare to the 450/400?

Thanks all.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Will be reading this post with interest, the 500/416 seems like a very competent round for a double.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no knowledge of the 450/400. I consider the 500/416 to be comparable to the 416 Rigby. That is, a double rifle version of the Rigby that gives pretty much identical ballistics (400 grain bullet at 2400 fps).
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish the 500/416 would have taken off in the market more over the years, reloading supplies limited but I believe it to be one of the best all around DR calibers out there. I have owned DR's of both calibers and the recoil of the 500/416 is manageable but substantially more, and it should be, the energy and velocity is much more. If the reloading components were more available and prices being equal I'd pick the 500/416 caliber.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Any 500/416 DR is much more dangerous than any K gun.

A combination of the 500/426 in a Krieghoff is, well, suicidal. Or at least downright uncomfortable!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I understand Will's comments.

I have a .500/.416 K-gun and I think it is a fantastic round. It is substantially more gun than a .450/.400 but it does indeed generate more recoil. I have not had a problem with components. I shoot plain old Hornady .416 round nose bullets at the range. Anything else would get a 410 grain Woodleigh RN SN since that is what the gun was regulated with. The powder of choice is H1000. There is BeLL brass floating around and Jamison makes brass. Buy 100 rounds and you'll be set for life. I don't think brass will ever be a problem since the .500/.416 is simply a necked down .470.

When you buy "off the rack" from Merkel, Krieghoff, Chapuis, etc. the guns tend to weight 10.5 pounds or so. That is too light for a .500 NE and too heavy for a .375 but it is just perfect for a .500/.416.

With respect to recoil, if you can shoot a .416 Rigby, you can shoot a .500/.416.

IMHO, the best bolt rifle cartridge for dangerous game is, was, and always will be the .416 Rigby. Krieghoff really did something here. They produced a double rifle with indentical ballistics. My hat is off to them. I think they made the perfect modern double rifle cartridge. Just my two cents.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well then...that makes it just about universal!!!!!

Posts: 20087 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

jumping jumping jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one understand Will.

I owned a 500/416 K gun and was very happy with it in most respects. Couple of my friends have subsiquently bought spare .500/416 barrels for their K Guns. I must say that to me personally I prefered the balance of the .500NE or .375- the 500/416 was just a tad muzzel heavy. not significant and different rifles fit folk differently and the added weight up front should help with recoil.

Norma has corrected their ammo and offer 410grn Woodleigh Softs and Solds in Nickel plated cases and offer brass cases for reloaders. Don't buy the older Norma ammo with the 450grn woodleighs and expect perfect regulation. They are not bad, but nowhere near as good as the next run with the correct bullets at the correct velocity.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMHO, the best bolt rifle cartridge for dangerous game is, was, and always will be the .416 Rigby. Krieghoff really did something here. They produced a double rifle with indentical ballistics

Will's grandpa John Taylor wondered why they never brought out the 416 No2 (Essentially the 416 Rigby for a double) way back when. HE says it would be just abotu 'ideal'. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

jumping jumping jumping

+1

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I loved mine but had to sell it to pay for the mounts from my hunt. Really easy to shoot and the safety/cocking is not a factor. I wish I had it back. I still have some new Bell brass if anyone needs some. A spare forend also.

CZ .416 Rigby
Win. 70 .375 H&H
NRA life
SCI and DSC
Retired Air Force E-8

Posts: 13 | Location: Wytheville Va. | Registered: 26 April 2007Reply With Quote