New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoe lump barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you who have not seen a pair of shoe lump barrels, as per the Holland & Holland discussion; here are some photos of a pair of shoe lump barrels I have just built.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afixed by solder or ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Afixed by solder or ?

Brazed.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Nice work sir!
................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice work; what caliber is it? Looks like a lot of metal around the chambers. Did you make the frame? Just curious about these things.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this post. Would you please show the finished rifle, or any of the other phases of your work?

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:
Thank you for this post. Would you please show the finished rifle, or any of the other phases of your work?

The rifle above is not finished. I have installed the ribs and am making the quarter rib now. I hope to have it regulated by end of month and then I will begin engraving the barrels, and black them. I will start engraving the action and other parts this
Summer.

However, here are a few photos of a double sabot rifle I built 3 years back when I was learning to engrave. I will also include a photo of1887 vintage Stephen Grant & Sons action that I re-engraved a couple of years back, as well as the final regulation target for the sabot rifle at 100 yards distance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Splendid work, hard to find at their level. Congratulations, Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. What can I say but, WOW!

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nice work; what caliber is it? Looks like a lot of metal around the chambers. Did you make the frame? Just curious about these things.

I am "hot rodding" the .38-55 McPherson 2.125 inch cartridge case using Hawk custom made bullet of 250 grains, round tip jacketed (.025" thick)and Reloader 10x or R 7 propellant fired in a .367/.377" bore groove 4140 alloy steel barrel to produce ballistics of 2,000 fps and 2,200 ft. lbs. of energy. My object with the McPherson case is to duplicate the original H&H 2 1/2 inch Nitro Express using less expensive and easy to source brass, bullets and propellant. Hawk made these bullets to my request as I wanted a bullet that would expand like a flat tip, but have much better aerodynamics than a flat tip. The overall cartridge length is 2.840" with the 2.125" case.

As to the "frame" that you asked about, I do not know if you are asking if I built the cast iron soldering and brazing jig in one of the photos or not; but yes, I built it. You may be asking if I built the DR action; and no I did not built it. The action is a 1961 SLE back action made by CZ with striker discs and Purdey second patent hidden third fastner. The ejector system is CZ's version of the Southgate system.

You may notice that the "circle" on the rear lump is not made in an arc, but is straight (actually 88.5 degrees from the action flat plane). I machined the DR barrel circle (of the shoe lump) this way so that it locks up tight against the corresponding action "draw" (91.5 degree from the same plane)when the action is closed and moves the barrels away and off of the hinge pin by .003" during firing--eliminating stress to the hinge pin as this DR will see around 40,000 psi chamber service pressure with the loading as addressed above. This is the reason for the 1.150" barrel diameter at the breech you referenced in your question.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Super all around !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
I am "hot rodding" the .38-55 McPherson 2.125 inch cartridge case using Hawk custom made bullet of 250 grains, round tip jacketed (.025" thick)and Reloader 10x or R 7 propellant fired in a .367/.377" bore groove 4140 alloy steel barrel to produce ballistics of 2,000 fps and 2,200 ft. lbs. of energy. My object with the McPherson case is to duplicate the original H&H 2 1/2 inch Nitro Express using less expensive and easy to source brass, bullets and propellant. Hawk made these bullets to my request as I wanted a bullet that would expand like a flat tip, but have much better aerodynamics than a flat tip. The overall cartridge length is 2.840" with the 2.125" case.

As to the "frame" that you asked about, I do not know if you are asking if I built the cast iron soldering and brazing jig in one of the photos or not; but yes, I built it. You may be asking if I built the DR action; and no I did not built it. The action is a 1961 SLE back action made by CZ with striker discs and Purdey second patent hidden third fastner. The ejector system is CZ's version of the Southgate system.

You may notice that the "circle" on the rear lump is not made in an arc, but is straight (actually 88.5 degrees from the action flat plane). I machined the DR barrel circle (of the shoe lump) this way so that it locks up tight against the corresponding action "draw" (91.5 degree from the same plane)when the action is closed and moves the barrels away and off of the hinge pin by .003" during firing--eliminating stress to the hinge pin as this DR will see around 40,000 psi chamber service pressure with the loading as addressed above. This is the reason for the 1.150" barrel diameter at the breech you referenced in your question.

Gentlemen this is the kind of informed information that is sorely needed to educate people who are new to double rifles. Those that know, need to share their knowledge to the up and coming double rifle fans, and to inspire you guys to take up gunsmithing even if it is only for their own use!

...............Thank you Transvaal! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Super nice work. Very interesting.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:

The rifle above is not finished. I have installed the ribs and am making the quarter rib now. I hope to have it regulated by end of month and then I will begin engraving the barrels, and black them. I will start engraving the action and other parts this
Summer.

However, here are a few photos of a double sabot rifle I built 3 years back when I was learning to engrave. I will also include a photo of1887 vintage Stephen Grant & Sons action that I re-engraved a couple of years back, as well as the final regulation target for the sabot rifle at 100 yards distance.

Fantastic work.

Well done.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .38-55 McPherson is ready to begin regulation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Did you use a torch or another method of getting braze to flow?

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Looks great. Did you use a torch or another method of getting braze to flow?

Steve;

Thanks. I used a torch.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
First of all, Thank you for sharing! Most informative and you do very nice work!
Like Mac said, This is important information to know about the making of double rifles!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing. Where in SC are you located?

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Columbia.