THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Issues with Kreighoff double rilfes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Issues with Kreighoff double rilfes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you guys had any issues with your Kreighoff doubles? I have heard that there is a plastic sleeve that the decocker rides on that is prone to failure. Have any of you guys ever experienced this issue? How about any other function issues?

I am looking at a new Kreighoff with the IES ejector system. I've heard good things about the rifle but would like to hear any real world experiences negative or positive, all would be great.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I have had my 470 for six years. Round count is around 800 and it has been dry fired probably a thousands times with snap caps while learning to reload and use the decocker.

No issues so far other than having Krieghoff adjust the opening angle and clean it.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Have any of you guys had any issues with your Kreighoff doubles? I have heard that there is a plastic sleeve that the decocker rides on that is prone to failure. Have any of you guys ever experienced this issue? How about any other function issues?

I am looking at a new Kreighoff with the IES ejector system. I've heard good things about the rifle but would like to hear any real world experiences negative or positive, all would be great.

You are correct,there is a plastic gasket that the decocker rides on & it does get stretched out & does break sometimes,the broken pieces can jam the decocker,but it is easily pulled out with a fingernail or something,& the gun functions normally except for a little slop in the decocker,mine happened before a hunt,but I just removed the broken pieces & carried on with the hunt,the gun was fine,Krieghoff replaced it under warranty,I have also had the opening angle adjusted.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have two of them and they operate flawlessly.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

You are correct,there is a plastic gasket that the decocker rides on & it does get stretched out & does break sometimes,the broken pieces can jam the decocker,but it is easily pulled out with a fingernail or something,& the gun functions normally except for a little slop in the decocker,mine happened before a hunt,but I just removed the broken pieces & carried on with the hunt,the gun was fine,Krieghoff replaced it under warranty,I have also had the opening angle adjusted.

That is very helpful information, thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe my mind is stuck in the last century of gun craftsmanship, but I cannot imagine why a quality gunmaker such as "K" would build a double rifle with any sort of plastic inside its action or associated with any parts thereof.

If I had such a rifle it would be in the hands of a highly competent gun maker to correct this error with material made of ferrous or non ferrous metal--if I could not correct the error in my workshop.

Maybe I lived in Africa too long.

Transvaal

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
Maybe my mind is stuck in the last century of gun craftsmanship, but I cannot imagine why a quality gunmaker such as "K" would build a double rifle with any sort of plastic inside its action or associated with any parts thereof.

If I had such a rifle it would be in the hands of a highly competent gun maker to correct this error with material made of ferrous or non ferrous metal--if I could not correct the error in my workshop.

Maybe I lived in Africa too long.

Transvaal

Same here.When I see plastic parts or rubber gaskets on doubles I start to lose 100% confidence.IMO there is a lack of skill out there in building proper rifles-simply and honestly put.There should be expertise in wood and wood to metal fitting,expertise with actions and locks,expertise in barrels,expertise in regulating,expertise in aligning sights with POI(all under the same roof),etc...not easy...but AR members know everything there is to know about anything so every DR must be perfect because we never hear of anything they own not being perfect.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have two of them and they operate flawlessly.

What are you implying? That this is not possible because you say so?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am saying what I said; I have two Krieghoffs and they both operate flawlessly, meaning, perfectly.
Any implication beyond what I said about my two rifles is in your head.
How many Kriegboffs have you heard about failing?
One sample failure is not statistically relevant on which to base any conclusion.
I question the "prone to failure" comment.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a K gun in 500-416. have owned it for at least 10 years now. No issues at all, but, of course, that doesn't mean anything!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
My 470 has been without any issues.
Since '03 when it was built.

I have personally seen the plastic washer issue on two guns. After it was removed it was business as usual.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I would happily buy another K gun if they offered one in 450NE,they are solid guns for the money.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:

I have personally seen the plastic washer issue on two guns. After it was removed it was business as usual.

Nitro

Have you ever been to the range with it or does the mere fact that you may own one and have it stashed away in a closet make you an expert?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:

Nitro

Have you ever been to the range with it or does the mere fact that you may own one and have it stashed away in a closet make you an expert?

Shootaway, you evidently have a reading disability. Nitro 450Express never said he was an expert on K-guns or anything else. The fact is what 450 says you can take to the bank, because it is gold standard information. I know 450 personally and I'm quite sure he is better informed on double rifles than yourself, because as far as anyone knows the double you have now is the one and only double rifle you've ever owned, So is your post intended to place you in a position to judge other's expertise where double rifles are concerned?

Shooter I think if you would get off your high horse and trying to convince others who do know something that you don't, you may learn something here on the double rifle forum!

Most of the members on the double rifle forum have been shooting and hunting with double rifles for many years, and most have owned several different brands not just one like you. Your B. Searcy IS a very good rifle, but it is not the only good rifle available!

................................................................... 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah right tell me about it

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
yeah right tell me about it

....................I just did! lol

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, why even bother. Paranoid Schizophrenia is a real disease and George is, sadly, afflicted.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-06-07

Take a look at the first few frames of attached link and ask yourself if there are any similarities to this thread.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hahaha, HE IS that guy from the internet!!! Smiler Bullseye!

By the way, it is called paranoid personality disorder (not Shootaway, of course, could not diagnose him here, but the guy in Dilbert....Wink .....you know the really argumentative ones nobody likes, who take everything you say or do in the worst possible way and always find attack to be the best defence against their indignation. They monopolize truth and expertise as their very own no matter the circumstance, and seem to live with the belief that "once I thought I was not right, but I was wrong"...

By the way, I have had and shot two K-Guns (one in 500-416 and one in 470ne) extensively (around 500 rounds each) and they have functioned flawlessly....

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it’s really sad that one person can ruin most of the treads in this double rifle forum. This one was particularly interesting for me, I have two Krieghoff DRs, but I do not feel like contributing when I see how the discussion is progressing.

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just put him on ignore and move on. I have used my Krieghoff .500 on several hunts, including an early season hunt when we hunted in the rain on a number of days. No issues whatsoever.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a K-double rifle but have several friends who own them and Not one of those friends has ever told me of a problem they experienced with their rifle!

In my experience they have always been very well regulated and accurate.

As I have stated before here when the K-gun first came on the scene and the cocking system was described by people who didn't know all the things they needed to know to sell it to customers. This lead to a misunderstanding of the way the system worked, and so most of us thought the K-gun was simply an accident waiting to happen. This,over time, proved to not be a worry and we found the system to be the safest system available to carry fully loaded and to be a very strong rifle as well.

The only reason I do not own one today is, the rifles simply do not fit me well, and I would have to re-stock the rifle to make it useful to me personally.

If anyone thinks this system is slow, all one has to do is witness Mike Jines put four shots through his Krieghoff .500NE double all dead on target,and try to beat him for speed and accuracy with a regular side by side double rifle. If you try that you will get an eye opener on the K-gun.
.................................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only reason I do not own one today is, the rifles simply do not fit me well, and I would have to re-stock the rifle to make it useful to me personally

Krieghoff won't measure to fit with that kind of pricetag?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own 2 Krighoff rifles in 500NE.I have used both on several buffalo hunts and haven't had any issues with it.

I find them to be Strong accurate and reliable rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or is that Shootaway dude a textbook troll?? Confused

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian564:
Is it just me or is that Shootaway dude a textbook troll?? Confused

You're new here, right?

clap

That said, you seem to have it figured out!

beer

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I was tempted to stoop, but need to be the man that Mac thinks i am.
Thanks Mac.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

My 2 c worth and owing a .375 (probably 500 plus rounds through it) and a .470 (150 rounds) both trouble free, accurate and fun to shoot. Would I buy them again - sure.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is I'm happy with mine, if that problem was to occur, I'll worry about it then.
I am up in the 400 round range now, no issues with it.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

With Kreighoff doubles can't be any issues because Kreighoff rifles don't excist, there is NO manufacturer with such name.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
quote:

With Kreighoff doubles can't be any issues because Kreighoff rifles don't excist, there is NO manufacturer with such name.

Heads up Surestrick, we have a new spelling policeman on board! You and I better clean our act up! Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
quote:

Heads up Surestrick, we have a new spelling policeman on board! You and I better clean our act up! Big Grin

Alrighty then. Let's call it a K (Kraut) gun.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alrighty then. Let's call it a K (Kraut) gun.

................................................................... jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I actually have a B.A. in philosophy (Syracuse University, 1971), so I am more than qualified to ask this question:

If Kreighoff rifles do not exist, how can you assert that you exist?

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
With Kreighoff doubles can't be any issues because Kreighoff rifles don't excist, there is NO manufacturer with such name

I would have to agree they may not EXCIST either Wink

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
quote:
With Kreighoff doubles can't be any issues because Kreighoff rifles don't excist, there is NO manufacturer with such name

I would have to agree they may not EXCIST either Wink

Clan Colla it Seems the spelling policeman is not perfect either!
............................................................ jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Kreighoff rifles do not exist, how can you assert that you exist?

I post, therefore I am!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones I've shot operated perfectly and the guys that own them seem to love them..I personally don't like the balance and feel of the Kreighoff, the action is too long for a double IMO, nor am I excited about the safety system, but that only applies to me and I have that option, but that's what makes a horserace...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not own a double rifle but have worked on a large number of firearms, both fine and average. Plastics (or more appropriately polymers) have become quite common in many brands. Polymer framed pistols are a prime example. Their reliability and durability are unchallenged. Most pistols on the Glock design (which there are many) have a polymer sleeve around the firing pin. Many Kimber pistols have and injection molded checkered polymer backstrap. Some pistols have polymer guide rods on the action springs. Bolt rifles often have polymer bolt plugs and other minor parts. I am sure most of the manufacturers have the best intentions but if the supplier provides defective material failures will ensue. Sometimes the manufacturer will inadvertently treat the material and it will fail. I often see steel firing pin failures in legacy firearms that were over hardened and broke. Steel recoil spring tubes in FN Belgium Auto 5 Browning shotguns frequently break off inside the receiver tang because they were made too thin when threaded. Shit happens. Polymers often supply needed lubricity and stress tolerance. That's one reason in addition to cost they are selected to replace many common metals. Just because a fine manufacturer selects a polymer for a job doesn't imply neglegence. What is important is that they own it and correct the problem if it fails.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
With the cocking lever design of the Krieghoff there is considerable down force on the cocking button.
I am sure that they intentionally chose polymer for it's lubrication properties and would not be surprised if the spacer was designed and intended as a wear part.
I think the alternative of metal on metal is far worse and would put wear on the reciever a non replaceable part.

Comparing this to conventional double designs has little or no merit as the forces involved and function of a safety button vs a cocking mechanism are vastly different.

I will ask Dieter about this when I see him in Germany later this year.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA