THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Berretta O/U 3006, 6 pictures added, beware slow internet folks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berretta O/U 3006, 6 pictures added, beware slow internet folks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
A buddy sent some pictures of a Berretta 3006 O/U for sale by a friend of his for 5k. He's suppose to get back to me with more info such as model number etc but looking at the pictures on my phone the rifle has stunning wood with case hardened receiver and scroll engraving. I told him I had no use for this but would fly up there now with 3k. To my surprise, He said come on! I have no idea what this thing is worth but thought 3k should be a good deal provided there's no issues. According to my buddy it shows as new. Given the limited info above, is there any reason not to go to the effort of pushing the cessna out of the hanger to go look at this rifle?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would GO.

Two of the models were Silver Sable
and Gold Sable, can't remember which
is which but both have a good reputation
over here in Aus.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the Case Hardened Receiver, Scroll Engraving, and High Quality wood, it is almost certainly a Beretta S689E Gold Sable.

They come with either single or double triggers in either 30/06 or 9.3x74R in the USA. They weigh around 8 lb. Most do not have factory provision for scope mounting. Custom gunsmithing is required to mount one.

In excellent condition, 30/06 caliber,without provision for scope mounting, typical sale prices are around 5K or slightly higher.

At 3K, I would not hesitate too long, obviously assuming no serious mechanical or stock problems.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information. I'm gonna try and go look it over tomorrow. I'll keep you posted...

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
It is a 689 gold sable, double trigger. Gonna try to go look tomorrow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 3K, don't look, buy.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what ammo may have been used for regulation?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might call the Beretta Gallery in New York City and ask. I think that they imported and sold the Gold Sables.

Also, Lee La Bas?, now in charge of Sauer 202 importing and marketing at Blazer USA, apparently mounted scopes with claw mounts for the Beretta Gallery on some of the Gold Sables and may know about the factory regulation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mississippian

I can say this, a double rifle, SXS or O/U, in calibres such as 30/30, 308, 30/06, 7X57, 7X65 and 8X57, make excellent hunting rifles.

Especially if scoped.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Further to my previous post.

3K for a Gold Sable, buy it.

Re ammo, does it matter ?

1. It is likely to be available

2. Reload for it anyway, everyone over here
does and they all seem to take a steady stream
of different ammo and shoot well with it.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Bought the beretta, I'll get pics up ASAP. Beautiful rifle!! Gonna do some research and determine regulation ammo and see how that shoots, then start reloading. Gentlemen, thank you for the help!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, good pick up.

Some people over here have had Doctor sights
installed on the rib, it works well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buy. Looking forward to the pictures. Keep us informed on how it shoots.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleJB
posted Hide Post
Nice! I was hoping we would get to see the pics soon. Ive got to imagine that hunting with a 3006 double is going to be fun.

DRSS

Posts: 37 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Here she is, Beretta in NY emailed and recommended 150 grain RWS as the possible regulation load. I have a small variety of 3006 laying around I can try before ordering anything.

Looks like it was a 2 barrel set, if anyone runs across a 689 shotgun barrel/forearm with a gold number "2" on the rib you know who to call!! haha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is nice. Now how does it shoot?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! That is absolutely beatiful. Looks like you fell into quite a great deal.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the wood used for this rifle-the little bit of figure in the rear of the stock.Classic!! I would love to have wood like that on a bolt action and this rifle has achieved what I am trying to.I think I am becoming convinced that big name gun-makers like this get their hands on blanks that others can`t.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
My buddy had some Winchester 180 gr silver tips that shot minute of tennis ball at 50 yds. Gonna get my hands on some rws 150 grainers which is what Beretta NY feels may be the regulation load. As time permits, I will mix up some hand load that hopefully will shoot well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great.

Your shooting results so far are not bad, especially with open sights. Shooting technique, forend support used, etc. can easily affect results. Can you see two distinct groups for the two barrels?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
%^GFDDDFVB BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Neat rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
That is a sweet rifle,now we need to see it on some big dead porkers tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Ok, just shot a group at 50 yds standing rest using federal 165gr fusion bullets, group was point of aim with top barrel high right 1", 100 yards was slightly high of point of aim with right barrel printing high right roughly 2.2". I'd say it's ready for the pig test!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice catch. By the way, those 180 Win Silvertips seems perfect for that rifle. I might stick with that if it shoots that well. 180gr is what you want in a double rifle.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, as expected.

150 gns sounds too light to me and 180gns is the way to go. With any calibre, I always start at the main factory load, always the best bet.

Good luck.

Edit
And yes, ready for the pig test for sure !!!

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Great Acquisition!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and a sweet deal! Congratulations.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mississipian.

Welcome back to the DR ranks.
Beautiful rifle.

Nitro.

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Damn, that's a beauty! Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I'll give you $3500, that will make you a few bucks and save you a lot of time and the GIANT hassle of trying to figure out an accurate load. Kind of a win/win for both of us! Roll Eyes

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Haha, thanks for the offer but I will keep this one! For a while anyway.... Never would've bought a rifle like this if not for the price but now that I have one it's certainly a neat and fun rifle!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the boys at the gun club fall silent when you pull that beauty out of its case!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Nice acquisition! tu2

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Christmas came early for me this year,my DRSS brother Kelly heard that I was looking for a Beretta dr,he watched me as I struggled to find one,almost got scammed on gunbroker,he was concerned & worried,I looked high & low for a suitable gun to no avail CRYBABY ,then one fine day when all seemed lost,I got a call old it was my bro,he said that I could have his sweetheart beauty at a price that was just too incredible to beleive Confused,I was concerned for his sanity cuckoo,I took a few days off to visit him,he is a true friend & I am humbled by his generosity,we had a great four glorious days,celebrated his birthday twice,walked the woods till my legs fell off & ate fresh catfish Smiler,the Beretta now resides in Michigan,it came home with me,the gun shows fine workmanship,is very accurate,& carries like a dream,I tried two batches of ammo in the gun ,180 gr & 220 gr,both shot fine,I will be focusing on 200-220 gr weights,I have many fond memories from our band of DRSS brothers & this one will rank pretty high up there,anytime that I have needed something someone from our group pops up & helps,Kelly,Mjines,Tim,Rusty,Sam Rose,Paul.....! A finer group of people you will never meet patriot.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Bill73

Congratulations on a fine rifle.
Kelly, always a gentleman.

Good luck with it.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice Beretta and a good buy.
So far, all Beretta owners with whom I have discussed guns are pleased with theirs, even old ones like mine.

I blooded mine on a big boar and the 300 grain bullet worked fine.
Please post pix of you, gun, and boar soon! Cool

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Happy to help my Buddy find happiness!