Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk Chapuis!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I recently bought a little Chapuis double in 9.3X74 and I was really impressed with it. I has great fit and finish and shoots great. I was giving some thought to getting one for my son in a larger caliber. Anyone have one in a .375 or a .470? If so, how do you like it?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I have one in .470, Chapuis Brousse, that I bought from Cabelas a few years ago. I had the LOP lengthened to 15" and it shoots like a dream! They sure are a lot of gun for the money, and extremely accurate.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana91:
Dave,
I have one in .470, Chapuis Brousse, that I bought from Cabelas a few years ago. I had the LOP lengthened to 15" and it shoots like a dream! They sure are a lot of gun for the money, and extremely accurate.

I have the same rifle unmodified. I may be the least experienced double rifle shooter on this site but I like the gun.

"DRSS"

Posts: 74 | Location: FL | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There is a three and a half or four pound difference. What started out as a sweet young thing in 9.3x74 turns into a chunky heifer in a 470. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave

Still have your S2 ...??

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
There is a three and a half or four pound difference. What started out as a sweet young thing in 9.3x74 turns into a chunky heifer in a 470. Smiler

Fat girls need love too!

"DRSS"

Posts: 74 | Location: FL | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the African PH model in .470 and I really like it. I have added a Docter Optic red dot sight since my old eyes and iron sights were not a good combination. Unfortunately it won't get to Africa until 2012. Probably weighs too much for Will but it works for me.

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Dave

Still have your S2 ...??

Mac:

Yep, I still have it. The critics of the S2 are right. They don't handle so well but I really like the S2. It has a really nice piece of wood on it. Because it in the 11.5 lb range, it's really easy to shoot.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of each. The 9.3 is a dream to carry and is my favioret deer rifle if ranges are under 100 yards. I realy havent worked out a good load for it but it shoots minute of dear with just about every thing.

The 470 barrouse is a different tool. It is heaver as it should be. Both are scoped , the 0.3 with a 1x4 meotiopa with a k circle retical. the 470 wears a nikon 1x4 30mm african. with p4 retical. It was a joy to work up a load for with h4895 or rl15.

It would be better to compare it to my merkel 470 than the 9.3. The 470 Chapruis has better balance and is a more handsom rifle.The merkel is a work horse and shoot real well. but if I had to part with one it would be the merkel.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both 375 H&H and 470NE in Chapuis. Both are very nice guns. The 375 is one of the best feeling guns I've handled. It feels like a little 410 shotgun. The ejectors have always worked with this belted case and I have had no issues with it. The 470 I have shot probably over 1000 times and have hunted with it quite a bit. Killed lots of plains game plus buffalo and elephant with it. The 470 is a little muzzle heavy but carries nicely. Both guns shoot great with the proper loads.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis 9.3 x 74. One of the best handling guns I've shot. I had a Chapuis 470. For me, it handled like a fencepost. I will say it shot well. The Merkel seems to fit me better.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
I have a Chapuis 9.3 x 74. One of the best handling guns I've shot. I had a Chapuis 470. For me, it handled like a fencepost. I will say it shot well. The Merkel seems to fit me better.

Dave

The Merkel's fit me well, but as a mate once described my Merkel 470,
it's like 2 railway sleepers welded together.

I reckon that Merkel could do a lot with the balance of the 470's.

I think my mates Chapuis in 9.3 x 74R is one of the best handling /
balanced guns of the modern era I have held.

Just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I recently bought a little Chapuis double in 9.3X74 and I was really impressed with it. I has great fit and finish and shoots great. I was giving some thought to getting one for my son in a larger caliber. Anyone have one in a .375 or a .470? If so, how do you like it?

I've personally owned Chapuis in 470 and 375.

The 375 is more proportionally "correct" with barrel contour and frame size... like the 9.3

The 470 has too much weight in the barrels and ends up too light in the butt. After adding weight to the butt to balance it out, you'll end up with too much weight on the ends and there goes the handling.

I'd go with the 375. It proportionally offers a much better feel and better handling.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Chapuis double in 470 works well!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I heard that for a few extra hundred bucks one can get a 6 1/2 pound Chapuis in 9.3x74R on a 28 ga. frame. Now they're getting the point!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
And then the .375 should weigh less than 7 1/2 pounds and a 470/etc. should weigh 8 1/2 pounds, max. I'm not holding my breath!

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I heard that for a few extra hundred bucks one can get a 6 1/2 pound Chapuis in 9.3x74R on a 28 ga. frame. Now they're getting the point!

A couple months ago I picked up a Chapuis Progress RGEX Series 3 two barrel set built on a 28 ga. frame. Honest weights: 5# 14oz. with 28" shotgun barrels; 6# 13oz. with 22" 6.5x57R/6.5/57R barrels or 7# 14oz. with QD 2.5-8 scope attached. This is a very sweet package! Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question about the Chapuis 9.3x74R rifles.

I've been thinking of buying another double with the thought in mind of being able to cover N. American hunting and maybe a trip to Africa and /or Australia. Probably buffalo would be the biggest game I'd hunt.

After reading a lot of posts here I'm thinking of a 9.3 or a .375 caliber double with a bias towards the Chapuis 9.3x74R. I've never shot either caliber and my question concerns the weight and recoil of both.

Most of the 9.3's (both sxs and O/u's weigh in the 7 1/4 to 8 lb range while the .375's are typically 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 lbs. When I look at the ballistics of both cartridges the .375 is clearly more potent but the difference does not seem to be enough to warrant the weight increase.

Is the 9.3 Chapuis going to kick the crap out of me or is the .375 going to be more sedate?

I'm not particularly recoil shy but I'm no kid (67) and don't want more punishment than I have to take. I currently shoot doubles in 7mm, .45/70 and .500 BPE with no probs.

I plan to add a scope sight in quick release mounts to whatever I get so that would add some weight for the bulk of my range and open country shooting.

Thanks for any comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MACD,
You're only a bit older than me. I have a Chapuis in 9.3x74. I shoot it regularly. It won't kick the crap out of you. If you shoot off sticks, it's not at all unpleasant. I did add a recoil pad to mine. I just shot a box of shells through it this afternoon working on a new load. I don't recall ever getting the jingly feeling after shooting this rifle, like I sometimes do after shooting other bigger bores. The recoil seems lighter than my Whitworth 375, even though the 375 is heavier.
I think my old superposed with turkey loads kicks a lot more. The more I shoot my Chapuis, the more I like it. It handles like a shotgun and shoots like a rifle.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
MACD

The nine-three is a great cartridge. This straight, low pressure cartridge produces mild recoil. The long, relatively slow moving bullet penetrates extraordinarily well with minimum (shock) meat damage. Choose it above the .375 unless the .375 is flanged (rimmed) magnum.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered my wife a RGEX serie 3 in 9.3x74 with upgraded wood, recoil pad, and a 1.8x5.5 Zeiss. She is most excited, as we are expecting delivery in April. JJ said she would be fine with the recoil, as she has been shooting a .338WM in an Encore the past few years. She also handles .450bpe and .500bpe well.
I don't think any man should be afraid of the 9.3x74, as they are very mild on recoil.
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The Chapuis doesn't come with a recoil pad, at least the one I had didn't, but a nicely done checked plate. I could shoot it the way it was but to keep from getting bruised and to protect the butt I had a thin (3/4"?) Pachmayr sporting clays pad added.

Of course it has less recoil than a 375 H&H, if you could find a 7.25 lb. .375 H&H to compare it to. Smiler

It's a cute little rifle and I suspect just fine for N. America but it just ain't no elephant gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I think the 9.3 Chapuis will be the way I go, probably one of the UGEX models. Unless I happen to run across a good buy in an older German or Austrian sxs or o/u 9.3 before pull the trigger.

I would definitely add a recoil pad. Will, I also like the Pachmayer sporting pads. I had to have a few non-essential parts removed from my rt shoulder so I tend to be more conscious of recoil than I used to be.

I'm thinking of using Talley Quick Release rings and bases. Any thoughts on them vs the Recknagel QR setup on one of the UGEX rifles? I haven't used either of them, but the Talley setup looks very clean on a rifle. Pro's & con's?

Also, I'm a new guy here and was going to post some pics of my "bespoke" Sabatti horse but can't. Several people posted requests for pics of rifles that had been reworked. I don't think I've been OK'd to post by the moderators. Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong! ???

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
MACD:

If you get the Chapuis, hold off on the recoil pad until you have had an opportunity to shoot the gun. That's what Ken told me to do when I bought my little Chapuis and it fits me great and is easy to shoot without a recoil pad. I am going to leave mine just the way it is.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I've got Talley's on some and Rec's on my Chapuis and I do beliecy I'd do the Rec's again if I had a choice

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
MACD,

I had a Chapuis UGEX 9.3x74R until recently.

I am with Dave regarding trying it out before adding a recoil pad and with Mike about the Recknagel swing off QR mounts.

You will be thrilled with that double, I am quite certain.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being the thrifty fellow that I am, I made a pair of Weaver bases to fit the Chapuis. Dug a set of semi quick detachable rings (thumbscrew) out of the parts drawer. Mounted a scope, no change in regulation. Tried an Eotech red dot, mounts too high for for me to keep a proper cheek weld. I'll try a reflex sight when I get around to it. I also made a shallow V rear sight to replace the fiber optic with a U notch that came on the rifle. I mounted a recoil pad only because I had to shorten the stock.

I think Chapuis is shipping so many guns that a few are slipping though that should have gone back for a little more fitting. Case in point, the top lever on mine would not return to center when the gun was closed. It had to be forced back to center. The lever was dragging on the stock. A few minutes with a file and sandpaper, some Tru-oil solved the problem. The Tru-oil matched the factory finih perfectly. How this passed through the factory without correction escapes me.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will-Just read your book and also just bought my first double, a 470 NE Chapuis. I noted in your book that you advised against using homogenous solids in DR's.Would that reccommendation hold true for my new rifle or just older rifles.

Taking it one step farther, which solid would you reccommend me using to get the tuning process started?

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The solids of old are the ones to avoid, specifically the old Barnes brass solids without the bands. The Heym I had withstood them but they are bad news on barrels and doubles especially.

I would suggest any of the banded solids that have bands and a shank smaller than the land diameter, like the North Forks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 08 March 2011 13:52 Hide Post
The

quote:
The solids of old are the ones to avoid, specifically the old Barnes brass solids without the bands. The Heym I had withstood them but they are bad news on barrels and doubles especially.

I would suggest any of the banded solids that have bands and a shank smaller than the land diameter, like the North Forks.

Do you consider the Barnes banded solids one of them safe to use solids ?

Good hunting /shooting and God's best

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Haven't used them but I hear they are good ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
one of us

[quote)
I recently bought a little Chapuis double in 9.3X74 and I was really impressed with it. I has great fit and finish and shoots great. I was giving some thought to getting one for my son in a larger caliber. Anyone have one in a .375 or a .470? If so, how do you like it?[/quote]

quote:
Just got off the phone with Ken Buch of Kebco LLC

The word is that my Verney-Carron 600NE is complete and should ship following IWA and Outdoor Classics show.

Hope to have it by the end of the month!

Just waiting to complete the case for it ...

Congratulations, I am glad you are liking it, enjouy it
beer
By the way I know it has been a while since you got it, have not been arround. but it is better late than never.
Wink

Good hunting/shooting and god's best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Chapuis, upgrade wood and non-selective single trigger in the 9,3. I took it to RSA last April. I shot a nice Kudu, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, and the bonus of a lifetime; a Caracal. I would hunt anything but Ele or Rhino with one. They handle like a light 20.
Judge Jerry and his lovely wife came down, and she sweet talked me out of it. Mistake on mypart.

You will love the power and handling, and the recoil is light. Mine had the factory bases and rings, and a Leupold 2-7x33mm scope.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we are covering Chapuis in general, can anyone add anything on sub-9.3 doubles they make?

I am thinking about the Classic range on 20 gauge size frames, not the new 28 gauge ones.

I think I'd get a lot more use out of a 7X65R, '06, or 30R Blaser than the larger bores.

How do they balance? Are they muzzle heavy like the .470s or svelte like the 9.3s?

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handled a 7x65R and it was very nice - balanced.
Not sure whether it was an off the shelf or a bit
more of a custom job but it was light and dandy.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N,

Thank you. It was a real let down to hold their .470. Same with a Merkel. Both balanced too far forward.