Find
Notify
Tools

All round double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill; Mac; et al;

It is well known that there are rifle cartridges that just seem to work better at taking game than what one would expect from the energy and velocity of the cartridge, case in point 7x57mm.

I do not know if the .375 H&H Flanged Magnum is one of those cartridges, but it could be.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Except for historical or nostalgic reasons I've never figured why one would own a .375F at three to four times the price when a 9.3x74r does exactly the same thing for all intensive purposes. If you are looking for an all around working gun and a shooter the 9.3 is a sensible choice.

surestrike, the main reason is not nostalgia but the fact that in most places in Africa the 9.3X74R is not legal for dangerous game animals, and the 375H&H fl mag is! For Africa a all around rifle of any kind must be legal for what you are hunting.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the 450-400NE 3 inch but we are not talking about me, we are talking about the OP's choices. The 375H&H, and 375H&H fl mag have taken everything Africa has to offer from dik dik to elephant. So has the 9.3X74R but not on legal hunts.
I have two 9.3X74R doubles, and four 375H&H bolt rifles, and I dearly love my little Merkel 140E-1 9.3X74R double, and is always with me in the field, but my 470NE is there as well, and the serve two different purposes, but I would love to have a 375H&HFL mag double rifle as well for a one gun hunt in African that also included cape buffalo. The only one shot kills I have ever had on buffalo have been with a 375H&H bolt rifle. All others have taken at
least three shots.
.........However this is a free world and only the guy buying the rifle has the choice of which he wants.
..................................................................... tu2

As far as cost, that doesn't seem to matter to those who want a double rifle of their choice.

Mac,
I am curious,you said the only one shot kills that you had on buffalo have been with a 375 bolt,all others have taken at least three shots?
do you mind elaborating on this? was it shot placement? poor bullet choice?better penetration with the 375?which other calibers did you shoot buffalo with?
I have used two calibers on buff so far,470 & 500/416,they both killed,
the 500/416 was more impressive,but I think it was shot placement in my case,I would take either on a hunt again.

Yes I don't have near the experience as many on here hunting buffalo. I have only killed 3. Yes the one shot kill was a frontal shot with a 350gn woodleigh PP. Aimed just under the chin maybe 6" and dropped it right there.

Shot one buff with a 470 with both barrels at I would guess about 12 yards and it died.

Shot one buff with my 470 again. Furthest shot was about 3 yards and closest was 18". Took 8 shots from my 470 and 3 from the PH's 458 Lott. Was in terribly long grass. (March hunt in Chewore South) If I had a split second longer on the first shot before he dropped his head and came at me he would have been dead with brain shot. Instead my first shot went in the side of the neck and into the shoulder. We followed up the buff and in about a 100 yards he was laid up waiting for us. He went after my PH and I was able to get a couple more shots in him to slow him down enough.

We have that last buff on video and its quite exciting. Send me your address if you want a copy.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mac,
I am curious,you said the only one shot kills that you had on buffalo have been with a 375 bolt,all others have taken at least three shots?
do you mind elaborating on this? was it shot placement? poor bullet choice?better penetration with the 375?which other calibers did you shoot buffalo with?
the 500/416 was more impressive,but I think it was shot placement in my case,I would take either on a hunt again.

Bill even the ones that took more than one shot may have been killed with the first shot, but I always back up my first shot with the other barrel and even with a bolt rifle. The ones that I KNOW were killed with only one shot were buffalo that got into cover before I could get off a back-up, and were found dead after a short run. All the others may well been killed with that first shot as well, but I can't say for sure!

Bill when are you going back to Africa? I wish I could go again but I'm 80 yrs old and retired on a fixed income, and Africa has been priced out of my reach when a short Cape buffalo safari is costing near 20K today plus airfare, and shipping of trophies that have gone through the roof. So I'm left with lower 48, Canada, and Alaska today.

................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 H&H and a 450-400. If I was going to purchase one double for everything it would be the 450-400.Put a removable scope on it and it will take anything in Africa.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Except for historical or nostalgic reasons I've never figured why one would own a .375F at three to four times the price when a 9.3x74r does exactly the same thing for all intensive purposes. If you are looking for an all around working gun and a shooter the 9.3 is a sensible choice.

surestrike, the main reason is not nostalgia but the fact that in most places in Africa the 9.3X74R is not legal for dangerous game animals, and the 375H&H fl mag is! For Africa a all around rifle of any kind must be legal for what you are hunting.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the 450-400NE 3 inch but we are not talking about me, we are talking about the OP's choices. The 375H&H, and 375H&H fl mag have taken everything Africa has to offer from dik dik to elephant. So has the 9.3X74R but not on legal hunts.
I have two 9.3X74R doubles, and four 375H&H bolt rifles, and I dearly love my little Merkel 140E-1 9.3X74R double, and is always with me in the field, but my 470NE is there as well, and the serve two different purposes, but I would love to have a 375H&HFL mag double rifle as well for a one gun hunt in African that also included cape buffalo. The only one shot kills I have ever had on buffalo have been with a 375H&H bolt rifle. All others have taken at
least three shots.
.........However this is a free world and only the guy buying the rifle has the choice of which he wants.

As far as cost, that doesn't seem to matter to those who want a double rifle of their choice.

Mac,

Yes I don't have near the experience as many on here hunting buffalo. I have only killed 3. Yes the one shot kill was a frontal shot with a 350gn woodleigh PP. Aimed just under the chin maybe 6" and dropped it right there.

Shot one buff with a 470 with both barrels at I would guess about 12 yards and it died.

Shot one buff with my 470 again. Furthest shot was about 3 yards and closest was 18". Took 8 shots from my 470 and 3 from the PH's 458 Lott. Was in terribly long grass. (March hunt in Chewore South) If I had a split second longer on the first shot before he dropped his head and came at me he would have been dead with brain shot. Instead my first shot went in the side of the neck and into the shoulder. We followed up the buff and in about a 100 yards he was laid up waiting for us. He went after my PH and I was able to get a couple more shots in him to slow him down enough.

We have that last buff on video and its quite exciting. Send me your address if you want a copy.

Mckay,

thanks for your response,after reading about your experience,should I say that it is all about bullet placement? I think you maybe hit the spine with the 375? & of course not with the 470? I am sending you a PM,I shot my first successful buff hunt with a 470,it was frontal,it was a good heart shot,my second shot was behind the left shoulder as it ran past me,it went 20 yrds before collapsing & I finished it,
I took exactly the same shot with my 500/416,about same distance maybe 20 yrds,first shot bucked the cow down & my second shot above the head spined her & she fell where she stood.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mac,

Bill even the ones that took more than one shot may have been killed with the first shot, but I always back up my first shot with the other barrel and even with a bolt rifle. The ones that I KNOW were killed with only one shot were buffalo that got into cover before I could get off a back-up, and were found dead after a short run. All the others may well been killed with that first shot as well, but I can't say for sure!

Bill when are you going back to Africa? I wish I could go again but I'm 80 yrs old and retired on a fixed income, and Africa has been priced out of my reach when a short Cape buffalo safari is costing near 20K today plus airfare, and shipping of trophies that have gone through the roof. So I'm left with lower 48, Canada, and Alaska today.

................................................................... old

Mac,
thanks for your explanation,I am trying to go back to Africa this year late,it all depends if the money gods smile on me Smiler Alaska is on my bucket list as well,& you are not missing out buddy,you still got a lot of hunting left in you,no matter the location.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some say the .450/400 is where we all end after been shooting bigger and heavier doubles.
However I suggest a .450Nitro shooting nitro-for-black with 350grainers 2000-2100ft/sec(deerloads), and then have fullpowered loads for bigger game. The allround double in my book should also have weight considered also. 9Ibs + scope is ok for stalking roedeer in a danish forrest in the early mornings of May, hunting kudu all day I hot kalahari without being too tired. I could live with the gun being a little on the light side for-the-caliber. 8ibs for a .375Flanged, 8½ibs for a 450/400 or 9½ for the .450Nitro.
The 450/400 can be loaded with 300grainers to minimize the recoil in a light rifle.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Other than bragging rights about the only real advantage doubles hold over bolt rifles is their ability for a quick second shot. And is why they are popular for dangerous game and for that purpose I would choose the 450/400 over lessor calibers.

The late Don Heath, Ganyana, held the conviction that the 450/400 gave better penetration than the majority of the big bore doubles, with less recoil.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4205 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
quote:
quote:

least three shots.

Mac,

Mckay,

thanks for your response,after reading about your experience,should I say that it is all about bullet placement? I think you maybe hit the spine with the 375? & of course not with the 470? I am sending you a PM,I shot my first successful buff hunt with a 470,it was frontal,it was a good heart shot,my second shot was behind the left shoulder as it ran past me,it went 20 yrds before collapsing & I finished it,
I took exactly the same shot with my 500/416,about same distance maybe 20 yrds,first shot bucked the cow down & my second shot above the head spined her & she fell where she stood.

Yes I obviously did not hit the CNS on the first shot. After the whole ordeal was done my second shot that I took at 18" or so clipped of the lungs. So eventually he would have died. I've heard it many times with Buff if you don't get that first shot right you are in for a ride and I certainly experienced that. He was a pissed off worn down buff that was not taking any shit.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
---

Mr. Clan Colla graciously allowed me a few rounds with his Heym in 375FLM. If I were to get another double this set up will be it. Right now there are some places and things to hunt. I am indebted to him for the trigger time.

Working on a 235ER Raptor load for that gun currently-

If you are coming to the DSC shoot in May-
you might get to try it at the longer range

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer the 450-400-3" for no other reason than it served me so well for more than 40 years..

I also liked the 450-3.5" and see no fault in the 375 Flanged...I would chose those caliber by the best rifle and how it fit me, anyone of the calibers are suitable on buffalo or elephant.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote