THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .450 Hornady vs. Jamison-longevity tests?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450 Hornady vs. Jamison-longevity tests?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to get some .042" rim .450 3 1/4" brass and am looking at Honrady and Jamison. Been reading pages of searches and do not see where one brand seems to stand above the other. I will be loading nitro for black loads with lead paper patched bullets, so the brass will not be worked over to badly.

Does it really matter which brand I get, or are both about the same quality? The searches really turned up no negatives about either brand that i coudl find.

Also, is CH4D the best best for dies, other than the RCBS customs?

Anyone have some .450 dies they want to sell?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Marc,

support the original manufacturer, buy from Jamison. He is the one who went out on a financial limb several years ago to provide brass for the classic british cartridges. I have his brass in several "boomer" calibers, and it is very uniform and lasts forever. Some of my 550 Gibbs cases have been fired over a dozen times with 2400+fps loads and look new.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Marc:

I think Hornaday brass is great stuff but I have really good luck with Jamison as well. Jamison turned out some defective .500 Jeffery brass. I bought some from Midway and had it a whole year before I discovered the problem. I called them, they sent me some of their second run which was also not spec. Their third run they got it right. Their new .500 Jeffery brass is closer to spec than the Horneber stuff. They took all my brass back and gave me some new stuff, no questions asked. They are great to work with and have done an excellent job of supporting us. I just bought 100 rounds of .500/.416 brass from them. Think about that. They are making .500/.416 brass.... how many .500/.416 shooters can there be. The run a great company but then again, so does Hornaday. One other point, I think the plain old Hornaday Interlock bullet is a way better bullet than most guys here think.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that really scares me about the brass. How did they screw it up on different runs? Makes me worried about QC.

Believe me, I support small businesses and routinely pay a little more to support local small businesses. I have been there and done that and know where they are coming from. BUT...they have to deliver the goods. Jamison is more than Hornady and now I am worried about their brass. i think I remember something being wrong with .505 brass Jamison first put out as well. Makes me pretty nervous

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc

Out of Spec for 500 Jeffrey ???

so many people have played around with the specs
of that cartridge it's not surprising.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I said .505, as in GIbbs. Totally differnet cartridge than the Jeffery.

And please note I said I am going on memory from a while back and am not sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either choice will give you many reloads being that we are dealing with low pressure rounds and you should have no issues. I personally use the Jamison for my 500 and Hornady brass for my 458.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rich's history lesson is a little off.
in 2003, Jamison bought BeLL, and started making brass in 2004. In no way shape or form was that the "original", though he did make a great business decision to go that way.

At this time, "Jamison Intl" has changed hands, and is still making great brass.

Hornady brass has ALWAYS been great. There's no qc/qa questions there.

Buy 150 cases of either, anneal them every 5 shots, and you'll have a lifetime supply, less losts and gifts

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffo.....how are you annealing your brass? Can it be done in a normal oven or, as I have heard, with a blow torch?

Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am a simple creature..
hold the brass by the head .. "Twirll" in a propane flame for a slow 3 count, or if i feel heat in my fingers, then drop into a bowl of water.

brass doesn't heat harden, nor quench harden
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THAT is simple! So no "brush on" material, etc? I'm going to try the Jeffe method...THANKS!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
THAT is simple! So no "brush on" material, etc? I'm going to try the Jeffe method...THANKS!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Just be carfull not to get it to hot or it will be to soft. I would try/pratice on some cheap brass to get the hang of how much to heat it.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote