THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Cabela Merkel Double Rifles - Regulation Load??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela Merkel Double Rifles - Regulation Load??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know the regulation loads for the Cabela Model of Merkel DR's in 470 NE and 500 NE.

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mine was regulated with Wolfgang Romy ammo as I recall. That was four or five years ago though.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This past week a buddy of mine from the northeast bought one of these slightly used in 500 nitro. It weighs 9 pounds and 12 ounces. That sure seems light.

Go Duke!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel DR's in 500 NE tend to be light for caliber. I think a .500 should be in the 11to 11.5 pound range. You will have outhers tell you it should be lighter.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have said before, you will be glad they are not heavier once you have carried it for seven hours in the bush. If you are buying it to shoot at the range, buy a 12 pound rifle. If you are buying it to carry in the bush, buy the 10 pound rifle.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I have said before, you will be glad they are not heavier once you have carried it for seven hours in the bush. If you are buying it to shoot at the range, buy a 12 pound rifle. If you are buying it to carry in the bush, buy the 10 pound rifle.

Or just HTFU and build some muscle.

Light guns kick like a mule and are harder to hold steady and take longer to recover for the 2nd shot.

The difference between 10 and 11 lbs is peanuts and with a bit of fitness you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thank you for today's health message Jack LaLanne. Have you taken a look at the profile of most of the folks hunting in Africa these days? If you think they walked off the floor as trainers at Gold's Gym you need to check your eyeglasses prescription. Many will be doing good just to carry their own rifle if it weighs 9 pounds.

. . . and AHYU PTR and another thing BIZZB, LEUN. Sincerely, TOCG

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
yuck jumping

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 24 January 2010 16:40 Hide Post
Thank you for today's health message Jack LaLanne. Have you taken a look at the profile of most of the folks hunting in Africa these days? If you think they walked off the floor as trainers at Gold's Gym you need to check your eyeglasses prescription. Many will be doing good just to carry their own rifle if it weighs 9 pounds.

Now there's probably the most honest observation I've ever read on this forum. clap

Posts: 52 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Don't mess with Mike, he is from Texas.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
Does anyone know the regulation loads for the Cabela Model of Merkel DR's in 470 NE and 500 NE.

Thanks!!

What difference does it make where the Merkel double rifle was baught? All Merkel double rifles are regulated with the same ammo in any given chambering! As far as I know all 470NE Safaris were regulated with Federal factory ammo. and as Mike says the 500NE with Wolfgang Romy factory ammo.

Mike seems to have a very good load for his 500NE K-gun, and I assume for his 500NE Searcy, and Merkel as well, and can most likely point you in the right dirrection for a starting load to start a work up load for the 500NE rifle! In any event the only way, I'm aware of, to get the absolute best from a double rifle is by working up a very carefully put together hand load for it! It is very rare for any double rifle to shoot to it's best accuracy with factory ammo.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
that is one humorous post and I agree with you,no disrespect to anybody old or young,if recoil is a concern for some people,I would personally just go to a smaller caliber than lug around a sherman tank all day just because its easier to shoot !!
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See I told you.

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I don't know if makes a difference or not. Last year, I was told by the Cabela's folks that Merkel made some "special" run of doubles for them. On the Cabelas website, they are listed as Merkel 140 Cabelas.

I'm not in the market for a Merkel Double. I ordered a Searcy PH in 450 NE late last year.

The reason for my post,... I was asked this question by a friend in my industry. He's smart guy, but foolishly thinks I know something about double rifles just because I ordered one. Big Grin

He actually bought a Merkel 500 Nitro, but not from Cableas. He said the recoil was less than his 460 Weatherby.

[/QUOTE]
What difference does it make where the Merkel double rifle was baught? .[/QUOTE]

Go Duke!!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
Mac,

I don't know if makes a difference or not. Last year, I was told by the Cabela's folks that Merkel made some "special" run of doubles for them. On the Cabelas website, they are listed as Merkel 140 Cabelas.

I'm not in the market for a Merkel Double. I ordered a Searcy PH in 450 NE late last year.

The reason for my post,... I was asked this question by a friend in my industry. He's smart guy, but foolishly thinks I know something about double rifles just because I ordered one. Big Grin

He actually bought a Merkel 500 Nitro, but not from Cableas. He said the recoil was less than his 460 Weatherby.

What difference does it make where the Merkel double rifle was baught? .[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I think the extent of "SPECIAL" for Cabela's was engraving their name on them, and maybe different sights! I'm sure the rifles were regulated the same as any other Merkel 500NE! Of course they may have had them regulated with ammo that Cabela's sells, but I doubt it! Factory ammo for the 500NE is not found in every little store in the USA, so is, for the most part, a handloading proposition!

In regard to the 460 Weatherby, OMO that cartridge, and the rifle it comes in from Wby is as useless as tits on a tomecat! I won a 460 Wby rifle in a super bowl pool one year, and promtly traded it for a gun safe without ever taking it out of the box. Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The Cabela's Merkels have ejectors, upgraded wood, a steel grip cap and some of them have mercury recoil reducers in them. A friend of mine nearly bought one at the SCI convention. Not a bad deal if you get the upgrades for price of the regular Merkel double rifle.