THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Received!!! "Another VC double nearing completion. . ."
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Received!!! "Another VC double nearing completion. . ."
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted
After spending a great afternoon last fall with Don Soter and getting to shoot his 500 and newly received 577 Verney Carron DRs, I decided to take the plunge and placed an order with Ken Buch for my own 500 in December. In addition to relying heavily on Don's experience (and copying much of his build sheet verbatim), another fine Virginian, Roscoe aka Capt Curl, helped immensely. Roscoe invited me down one afternoon and let me handle many exquisite DRs in his collection--I found a particular Purdey 500 BPE that jumped effortlessly to my shoulder. Roscoe was incredibly kind to take many outstanding photos and exacting measurements to help the stockers in their attempt to replicate the open grip of the classic Brit rifle, made to my requirements.

For those interested, I've cut and pasted my final specs below along with some in progress pics sent by the fine folks at VC. Some will note the Silvers pad I mailed to Ken, who in turn passed along to VC at the trade shows. The double rolled edge trigger guard has been struck off and their standard style safety button is being replaced for the H&H button style I requested. You'll see the milled raceway for the stalking safety, not yet fitted.

In addition to thanking the VC family, Ken Buch, Don, and Roscoe, Paul (CCMdoc), Adam (ozhunter) and Fred (WVFred) have provided helpful insight these last few months and I am happy to count them all as friends!
---------------------------

AZUR Safari Luxe.

500 3” NE

25” Ejector barrels

Weight 11.25-11.75 lbs “between the hands”.

Double triggers, front articulated, rear canted for right-handed shooter. No engraving on triggers. Must be crisp.

Stalking safety with intercepting sears. Leave plain without “safe” and “bolted”—I’m going to have this done locally. Safety shaped in the H&H button style [see picture].

Back of action flat, i.e. not scalloped. Moustache type reinforcement with bottom rounded as much as possible. Moustache to taper and end under receiver into H&H type filet. French grey. Upgraded rose and scroll engraving to be discretely signed by the engraver.

Best DARK upgraded walnut suitable for caliber, i.e. must be straight grained through the wrist. Drop points behind panels. NO Palm swell. MINIMAL English style splinter fore end. Twin screwed rear sling swivel. NO Mercury recoil reducers.

OPEN English grip and narrow, not deep shadowline cheekpiece. Dimensions/stock tracing from Roscoe’s 500 BPE Purdey to be provided.

Silver’s pad (rounded at top)—I will send one to Ken to give to VC.

Rear sight with wide shallow “V” and gold vertical line (50 yards), two folding blades (100, 150 yards) the same way. Do not stake rear sight. Regulated for center hold at each distance. Quarter rib should be flat filed along entire length, no caliber engraving visible on the rifle [see pictures]. I am going to have the barrels engraved locally with caliber and load data like on the British rifles.

Flip up night foresight (not flip over).

Plain edge trigger guard. Bottom tang engraved with “No XXXXXXX” [Just like Don Soter’s rifle]. Steel grip cap with reservoir. With spare strikers and springs fitted to the gun and extra night sight.

H&H type extended top strap over comb

Regulated with Hornady ammo.

VC leather maker’s label to be used for case

Cheap plastic hard case

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
VAgrouser,

Let me be the first to say

That is simply gorgeous!

Really a beautiful double and spec'ed out quite nicely.

Congratulations and I can't wait to hear that it is in your hands and on it's way to take some game.

Stay well,

Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, very nice piece...it will serve you well!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well I hope you got a good price on that stunning rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're gonna love being the owner of that beaut!!! tu2

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Nice! Love the upgraded engraving. tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! If only the damn thing could cook and clean house! Simply elegant and functional.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Another V-C beauty!
Perhaps we should organise a AR/V-C Safari? I know we have three possibly four planed for next seasons Ele and Buffalo Safari in the Zambezi..

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
wow, what a fabulous looking rifle! Presently I'm at three months since I ordered mine and can't wait! Again congratulations! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Jorge,

I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I orderd mine on September 16th 2010 changed some of the options along the way, asked for a particular elephant engraving and still had it in my hands on April 7th 2011.

If it looks anything like Bill's or Don's and shoots as well as those I know about do, you will be a very happy man.

Bill, again great job and beautiful double!

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hey guys do you know when it is an acceptable time to ask for an update? I know Ken is busy (or maybe he reads this stuff! Smiler ) but it sure would be neat to get an update or where the rifle is! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
vagrouser, way very nice rifle! Good for you on ordering a "bespoke DR". I got the 9.3 stuff, by the way. Thanks, Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Hey guys do you know when it is an acceptable time to ask for an update? I know Ken is busy (or maybe he reads this stuff! Smiler ) but it sure would be neat to get an update or where the rifle is! jorge

Ken is jsut back from his own hunting trip but he does check here on AR every now and then.

If you havent already, I'd say the 3 month mark is a good place to ask how things are coming along.

Let us now and certainly post pictures as you get them

Stay well,
Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all these guns getting completed I wish VC would send my 577 back they have had it for 6 months!

Sam

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wood! What is the LOP on that gun?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Bill...I think we need to test drive it on some rubber buffalo.

beer

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 904 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the comments. Getting pretty excited and glad to be busy with work to keep me distracted!
Sorry I can't give LOP off the top of my head as it was provided in mm. Should run a little over 14.5". I'll post when it arrives.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken called me last night and said my 577 should be home soon!

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Excellent, Sam beer

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Bill, what a beauty!! tu2 Been busy catching the Bluefin tuna off Va. Beach. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh when it arrives!! beer

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I feel positively sick.

Very nice and I had a VC in my hands the other day and it is all the a H&H is.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9902 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Don weather scrubbed same plans a couple weeks back when a buddy and I were looking to hook into some drum. Fairgame, sorry the pics made you ill! I'm finalizing my move to Kenya for this fall (Kajibe) and hope to have this rifle available for the tail end of my trip with a DG hunt in Tanzania or Zim. You and any Africans are welcome to check it out if we meet up. Anyone got contacts in Kajibe or Nairobi in case the Obamas aren't too hospitable?

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I feel positively sick.

Wow! That is high praise. tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Channeling the self restraint of a monk, somehow I've managed to get through the last week knowing that my new rifle was only a short, couple hour drive away. Ken called me last Thursday with the much anticipated news that my 500 was past Customs and ready for pick up. Yesterday, when my schedule finally allowed, I fought traffic up to Ken's and from there down to Don's to shoot it. This was an epic day for me and the rifle far exceeds even my highest expectations, which have steadily built since I placed the order in December. Delivery was right on time as Ken told me at the time my order was placed.

The guys at V-C really nailed this and to say I'm happy doesn't begin to describe my enthusiasm for the rifle. Over the months this project has been incubating, I've had moments of doubt especially given that this is my first commissioned/bespoke rifle. I felt that I took a gamble not getting formally fitted, but as I wrote earlier I shouldered a number of the finest vintage Brit DRs in Roscoe's collection, finding a Purdey BPE that fit and came up perfectly for me. I sent Ken Roscoe's great photos and perfectly detailed measurements and sat back and waited with crossed fingers. Jerome and his stockers got it just right as my shoulder and ruler confirmed yesterday. Every other spec on the rifle was attended to and just perfectly executed. In that regard, it really helped me to have handled and shot Don's V-Cs last fall to know what features I wanted and others that I wanted tweaked based on personal preference. One of those was a minimal English-style splinter forearm that again they got just right.

The fit and finish is incredible and I'm honestly surprised that this double isn't twice as much money or more: The barrels are perfectly struck and rolling them in the light doesn't show a single ripple; the rust bluing is even, deep and lustrous; metal-to-metal and metal-to-wood fit is fraction of cigarette paper thickness. They chose a great, dark, dense blank which I had requested and it really is even much better than the pics allow. Checkering lines are razor straight over the curves with no over-runs, mullered borders and flat-pointed as it should be IMO. The wood is just as good as the metal work without a ripple and tight, tight inletting and beautiful oil finish. Engraving is very well cut magnified w/ a 4X loupe I have and lays out gracefully.

I'm really glad to say that there isn't one thing I'd do differently now that I have the rifle. I'm especially happy with my choice of the flat filed rib and splinter forend and really pleased I sprung for the intercepting sears and stalking safety. I'm planning to have my friend Thierry Duguet engrave "Bolted" and "Safe" in gold as well as to put simple caliber designations on the barrel. To note, I could have had these items done by V-C but I have been so impressed with Thierry's inlay work that when I placed the order I wanted to have him do it.

Weight came in at 11#5oz right within what I specified at 11.25-11.75#s and after shooting it, I'm really happy with this number. Balance is on the money.

As far as the important stuff goes, I only had the appetite for 8 rounds off Don's standing rest yesterday afternoon. Definitely MOE at 44yds and will no doubt improve as I get used to shooting it--the test target gives me something to aspire to! I sent Ken a Silver's pad to have installed which looks great, but doesn't do too much for recoil mitigation.

It bears repeating that Ken and the V-C family have been absolutely wonderful to work with on this project and I'm sure this is not the last time we do business. One thing that can't be topped and really makes this rifle special to me is the serial #, which happens to be my Dad's birthday. I lost him just this past fall and is a cool happenstance the way this worked out.

I had a fantastic time with Ken and Don yesterday and appreciate their hospitality and friendship immensely. I'm excited to continue making the rounds with WVFred and Roscoe!

Will try to get some pics up before too long and happy to answer any ?s. For those on the fence about placing an order, I really can't give a higher endorsement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, sure makes the wait worthwhile!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Bill,

If I was capable of it I would be doing backflips - I am that happy for you.

Fantasatic write up and I couldnt agree with you more - Ken Buch and the Verney-Carron family know exactly what customer support and satisfaction mean and how to achieve it.

My only criticism is that I wasn't with you on the trip to Ken and to Don's place!

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Jon and Paul,
Thank you both. I'm making frequent incursions north of the Mason-Dixon line now to Balto so it'll be relatively easy to hook up. Sure would be fun to get the AR crowd together. This place caught my eye yesterday even though it is high fenced. . .

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I feel positively sick.

Wow! That is high praise. tu2

I’d say that is about as fine endorsement as one maker could ask for!

The V/C rifles are slowly making a real name for themselves! Unfortunately The flack the Sabattis caused, stole the thunder the V/C rifles should have been getting all along!

I was very impressed with the three V/C doubles we had down at the DRSS get together at the 4K Ranch in Texas last winter. They were absolutely beautiful for off the rack rifles, and shot very well. They fit me perfectly and were seemingly an extension of my body when thrown up and fired on targets!

Those were simply off the shelf rifles and were beautiful, but couldn’t compare the examples shown here with custom features you guys have ordered, and V/C has built into your rifles!

One final thing to Jorge! I’m very glad you went with V/C for your rifle, because it will still be worth more down the road simply because it is a quality piece. I fear, though your Sabatti shot well, I simply do not think it would have held up well, and I know the resale would have been very low on that rifle. The rifle you ordered from V/C will be a source of pride as long as you own it, and will take care of business when the chips are down!

………………………………….Congratulations gentlemen! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This place caught my eye yesterday even though it is high fenced. . .

Bill, I've heard Don hunts there often....after dark, of course!!! :-)

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Bill's gun is a beauty!! I especially like the slimmer forearm. Very well done!! clap

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even with a high fence it might be exciting

http://www.usatoday.com/news/n...2009-01-19-zoo_N.htm

Bill- Thanks for the kind words

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Ken,
Should I take softs or solids when we go?

Wonder how the Jaguar made out since "Domer said the jaguar is in quarantine to watch for signs of rabies".

Never realized one had to worry about cats getting rabies from their owners.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sweet! hopefully mine is not far behind! Say, maybe we need to have a VC get together! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

How's the build coming along?

Bill,

Put updated pictures in the "Sample of V-C doubles" thread as well as here.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ken emailed me and told me the end of August, which would put it right at six months. My birthday's 15 Sep Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might as well keep this VC thread going as I just received my rifle which is:
VC Azur Safari, 450/400, built left handed, 24 inch barrels, flip up front night sight, 3 leaf rear sight. It weighs in at 10 pounds but feels like it weighs 8. Comb appears to be a tad high and hoping it doesnt punch me in the cheek like my Chapuis does.
H&H aint got nothin on this rifle.

Think I'm impressed? Here is the exact email I just sent Ken:

"Ken,

I am extremely impressed. Wood, fit and finish, and overall appearance is
much better than I expected and that is an under statement. Scope mounts are
there as well. Proof is in the shooting and that will take me awhile to get
dialed in. But the rifle is simply stunning. I have seen a few doubles in my
life and if this rifle had a $20-25K price tag no one would think it was
over priced.
Am sure if I buy another double it will be another VC".

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
Have fun and let's see some pictures when you can get em.
Stay well

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

I'm really happy for you. I know you waited a bit on yours and like any labor intensive project sometimes things take longer than anticipated. That said, it sure sounds like the wait has paid off and you got a great double! I know we all would like to see some pics.

I've heard Ken mention that he feels V-Cs represent 80% of a top British double at 20% of the price and I certainly agree. I have an awfully critical eye and believe me I have been scrutinizing the hell out of my rifle this past week. Regardless of price it simply would be hard to improve upon. IMO they definitely have pegged the sweet spot for newly made doubles; I would have to spend many 10s of thousands more for a vanishingly small return. On top of that I plan to travel with and hunt this one hard without reservation the rest of my life, which I prob would have some qualms about doing with anything 'nicer.'

I'm doing a little ring shopping and it occurred to me that I could simply have Ken order the next one up with a diamond night sight. Regardless, the wheels are turning!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone volenteer to post some photos? If you can, please drop me an email and I'll email the photos back to you.
Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with the photo's Woofie BUT I'll be glad to help break it in for you since you're not healed up yet. Load up some ammo!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote