THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Received!!! "Another VC double nearing completion. . ."
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Received!!! "Another VC double nearing completion. . ."
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
I can't help you with the photo's Woofie BUT I'll be glad to help break it in for you since you're not healed up yet. Load up some ammo!

If I can manage 20 full power rounds out of the 450 NE I can manage this 450/400.
Thanks Mike for your generous offer, lol.
Drop me a line if you want to see the rifle in person.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
So I pulled the two rubber plugs in the Silver's pad tonight and found that the screws were handmade and had extensively engraved heads. This rifle continues to blow me away!
I promised Ken that I would take some pics of the splinter forearm for him. That'll have to wait 'til another day when I can set the pics up better, but thought I'd share these shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wowsa! I would almost be afraid to take that rifle hunting, almostSmiler
VC is certaintly setting the bar higher for the other makers. I love that rear sight, bet it is fast to pick up.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
That thing has pretty much all there is. Congrats.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hey Ken, please hurry! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure like the rounded bolsters on this double compared to the angled ones I have seen on some VCs.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I look at this rifle, the better.

All very nicely done.

Bolted safety

Strap over comb.

Beautifully shaped bolsters - I agree with 465H&H, I much prefer rounded than square cut.

Very much H&H by the looks of it, not just style but quality of fit and finish.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Hello All:

Well, I guess it is left to me to be the crass-one. My father taught me one never talks about money, religon or politics in public. Forgive me dad but as usual, my insatiable curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Can you gentlemen tell me please what the cost is to have guns like yours built. Although I own three double rifles, I cannot imagine the guns shown in the photos were less then $25,000.00 U.S.

I have always wanted one rifle in my life time that was built just for me. My gunsmith is working on the fourth however, at the rate he is going I will have to have it cemented into my headstone. The action is built on a new 20guage baikal shotgun and will be in 450 Alaskan BUT, it in no way compares to the fine beauties you gentlemen have had commisioned.

By the way, I just love the moustache on the side of the action. Very elegant.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The V-C guns are made to order, they have nothing on the shelf ready to ship. Because they are made to order they can run all over the place depending on the options but will start at about $12,500 for a 450-400 cal to 500 cal SXS. I also have some examples on Guns International. Search for Verney-Carron.
It would be best to give me a call and we can talk about what is important to you. 301-460-9563 eastern

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,
As Don wrote about his first V-C last year, he ordered it the way he wanted it. Same with mine-these are just a collection of features I like and I take my hat off to the Verney Carron family for being such consummate craftsmen.

Carpe, shoot Ken Buch at Kebco a PM re pricing and let him help you. There are multiple lines and of course many add-on features, which will impact price. That said, I NEVER felt like there was someone looking over my shoulder w/ a calculator adding things up. I earnestly feel that V-C wants to build beautiful rifles first and foremost. There's no better proof of this than the absolutely gorgeous blank they chose for Snowwolfe's 450/400, which if I'm not mistaken, he specified standard wood on.

I'm not even sure they have ascribed a price to some the features I asked for. I got the impression that these were things I wanted, they could make it, it would look good and was generally in fitting with the level of rifle I specified. I keep finding small details on my rifle like the engraved screw heads w/ hand filed slots holding the pad on (hidden), hand engraved serial numbers all over the place, etc that I never requested, paid no premium for, and in the aggregate, add substantially to their labor. It is probable that most people would never have had chance to notice this. Why? I think this is much more about the art than certainly building to any price point.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vagrouser:
Hi everyone,
As Don wrote about his first V-C last year, he ordered it the way he wanted it. Same with mine-these are just a collection of features I like and I take my hat off to the Verney Carron family for being such consummate craftsmen.

Carpe, shoot Ken Buch at Kebco a PM re pricing and let him help you. There are multiple lines and of course many add-on features, which will impact price. That said, I NEVER felt like there was someone looking over my shoulder w/ a calculator adding things up. I earnestly feel that V-C wants to build beautiful rifles first and foremost. There's no better proof of this than the absolutely gorgeous blank they chose for Snowwolfe's 450/400, which if I'm not mistaken, he specified standard wood on.

I'm not even sure they have ascribed a price to some the features I asked for. I got the impression that these were things I wanted, they could make it, it would look good and was generally in fitting with the level of rifle I specified. I keep finding small details on my rifle like the engraved screw heads w/ hand filed slots holding the pad on (hidden), hand engraved serial numbers all over the place, etc that I never requested, paid no premium for, and in the aggregate, add substantially to their labor. It is probable that most people would never have had chance to notice this. Why? I think this is much more about the art than certainly building to any price point.

+ 1 on everything you just wrote.

Ken Buch and the Verney-Carron family - simply fantastic in every respect.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vagrouser: This rifle continues to blow me away!

I don't hate to say it, but I told you so!! Big Grin BTW, that foreskin...I mean forearm is super nice!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vagrouser:

That is one heck of a nice piece of wood, can't wait to see pictures of the finished rifle.
enjoy the suspense. Wink Smiler

Malek

Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vagrouser:

LOL
I guess I spoke (wrote) to soon before all the pictures opened up on the site, to show such a beautiful gorges piece of art.(hear where I am the snail is faster than the email service we have, makes the dial up system a record speed breaker).

Congratulations, enjoy it to the utter most.

tu2 beer

Malek

Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I love that rear sight, bet it is fast to pick up.

They are fast. I have an English gun (maybe two) that has that sight
and the gold line really does make a difference IMHO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote