Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets in DR's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I have been ordering everything I need for my 450/400 3". I have the .411 Woodleighs ordered as the bore slugged out actually @.412. One thing that I have been thinking of is practicing with a cast 400 gr. RN. I wonder which would be better, a gas check design or a paper patched? I used to cast a lot of pistol bullets, but no rifle so dont have any experience. I also assume I might have to have a custom mold made. I would also assume that cast bullets would be kinder to 80 year old barrels than jacketed. Anyone with any experience feel free to jump in and give me some advice! Thanks, Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used cast, gas checked bullets in my 500/416, primarily as a practice load. Unfortunately they did not shoot anywhere close to POI for my regular jacket bulllets. I have not played around since then to adjust the load.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lee have you looked into Hawk Bullets?
Hawk Bullets

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Rusty, I intend to try out some of the Hawk bullets, I was just thinking that this gun might be a good candidate for a cast bullet. I have about 30 lbs. of linotype stashed that would probably work well. I figure the Hawks, with their soft copper tubing jacket would be easy on the bore, but if anyone has had good luck using cast and getting it regulated, it might be fun to cast my own. I called Buffalo Arms to finally find some brass, they had Bell @ $137 per 100, so I bought 150, got 100 Woodleigh softs and 50 of their solids. I figured I better get as much of this stuff as is available now, before Murphy steps in. Brass was hard to find. I hope to have my rifle back within 2 weeks and then it is time for the range!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
lee 440
I have used 400 grain cast bullets in my 450 No2 with Nitro for Black type loads. They hit to the sights and regulated well to 50 yards.

In your 450/400 I would load @ a 300 to 400 grain cast bullet with a starting load of 40 grains of IMR 4198 with 12 grains of poly. Around 44 grains should hit to the sights. Velocity around 1700 fps or so.

These nitro for Black loads are very plesant to shoot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee, I'm having very good luck with 300 grain Hornady .411's intended for the 405 Winchester. Rusty, 400 Nitro Express and I braved the Houston cold today to shoot and chronograph my rifle. The 300
Spire points shot in less than an inch at 50 yds, at about 2050 fps. 300 flat points at 1450 fps in about 1.5" using 5744 powder. Ross Seyfried suggested 41 magnum bullets with 35 gr of xmp 5744, which was my starting (and finishing) load. Very accurate plinker with no recoil at all. This might be a good starting place with .411 cast at about 250 grains. I saw some 250 grain LBT's at Cabelas on Saturday at about $18 per hundred, which might be a good starting place before you start casting. Let us know when you're ready to shoot and we can go over to Bayou Rifles and cheer you on. I've gotten so much great advice from Rusty, 400 NE and 450 #2. Bob

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mark and I were trying to talk Bob out of his rifle yesterday. He didn't want a double that printed side by side? Eeker jumping

Man, has he got a shooter!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Hawk bullets did funny things in my 470...I quickly quit shooting them. Do you find that you have to load different with them in your rifle vs other bullets like woodleigh?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 top notch mentors in Rusty and Mark. We had 3 A. Hollis 450-400's at the range. They have both been great help in getting the new gun set up.

Bob

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
You guys are dedicated! I stayed inside all day and worked on my latest acquisition, an Army&Navy Lee speed in .303. Bobc it sounds like you got a shooter allright, and I look forward to hooking up with Y'all when I get mine back, I can use all the help I can get! Tony, are you using a gas check style bullet? My barrels are about typical, I guess, but I was wondering about lead fouling when using "as cast" bullets. I also need to find some of the Hornady 300 gr. and give them a try as they are an inexpensive alternative to the Woodleighs and even the Hawks, not that saving any money at this point even begins to make any sense! Thanks, Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,

I backed off the RL-15 from 64 grains to 62 grains for the Hawks. My real interest in 300 grainers.

My only option for my .408 caliber Hollis is Haeks or Corbin resizing dies for .411 to .408

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee, I have a batch of Hornady .411's coming and I'll be glad to get you some to test out. A while back a poster had some bulk 300 SP's at a good price, and I've got some in transit. It was in classified earlier this month. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a mold for my 470 with 500 gr plain based bullets. loaded with 35 gr of 5744, and close range it regulated like a full power load & is great for practice

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I cast my own bullets and have some.411-.412 cast 255,300gr and 325gr bullets if you would like to try some .I work close to 59 and Richmond Ave if you want to come by my work,no charge for bullets these are BHN 23-26 (hardcast).

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lee,
I have had no problems with getting gas checked heat treated cast bullets up to 2100fps with out problems. so you should have no problems putting up cast loads that will work great.
es

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee the cast bullets I used were not gas checked. I did not have any leading.... but the bullets were cast of Linotype.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies! Thanks to475/480 for the kind offer, I may take you up on that, also to Bobc, the generosity of the folks on this board never ceases to amaze me. Tony, the reason I was thinking of gas checks was in case of a little roughness in the bores, but if plain base will work, that would be the easiest way to go. As soon as I get the gun back, I will know what to get. Thanks again to els, who is the former owner of my Rodda, he has been very helpful with his time and knowledge! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.