THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "Stocking" A Searcy of Chapuis?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Stocking" A Searcy of Chapuis?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted
I was pleased but surprised to see on the "Searcy For Sale" post that Butch Searcy will customize a stock on one of his reasonably priced 470's at no extra charge.

I knew that Champlin would do this w the Chapuis, as I was fitted on their try gun some years ago.

Is "fitting" normally limited to LOP, comb hieght and cast off, or also the angle or length of the pistol grip which I assume would require some metal work?

You guys are making me crazy for a double. Bad influence!

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Andy -
LOP
Drop (at comb & heel)
Cast (at heel and toe)
Pitch (the angle the butt is cut at)

as well as the sweep of the grip (the distance from the front of the grip to the front trigger) - and even its circumference - are all variables taken into consideration when "fitting" a gun (rifle or shotgun.)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that the Chapuis beavertail can be slimmed down to a much slimmer profile. Not a splinter, but still closer to a splinter than a beavertail.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13479 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer a splinter fore end on a double rifle.
I own a 9,3x74R Chapuis. I love this rifle. It is one of the best hunting rifles I havfe ever used.
It has a semi-beavertail fore end, but becausr the 9,3 bbls are so slim it is not that bulky. However it does have more wood than either of my British big bores.

I have shot 3 divverent Chapuis 470's. All of them were very accurate. The only thing I do not like about them is the beavertail fore end. If I bought one I would order it with a splinter of if I boughtr a used one I wopuld have JJ modify it.

However, I will say when shooting multiple shots[over 2] in the heat, the beavertail is easier on your fingers. So maybe Renee Chapuis has a plan.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I recall seeing somewhere kreighoff 1/2 done stocks... the inletting and some of the grip was done, but the rest was up to the user.

Hey, I LIKE beaver tail foreends... then again, my hands are more along the "jumbo" size, which means they can wrap around most barrels!!!

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote