THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A. Hollis & Son Boxlock Double Rifle Two Barrel set .450/400 3" and . 470 NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A. Hollis & Son Boxlock Double Rifle Two Barrel set .450/400 3" and . 470 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
There is one of these for sale in the gun library in Reno. The guy I spoke to there knew absolutely nothing about doubles. Didn't know the year of manufacture, what it was regulated with or the year that the second set of barrels (the 470's)were built.

Can anyone tell me anything about this gun?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah - its expensive Eeker Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin to this gun. A Hollis was the retailer for these guns which were made by Leonard in Birmingham, who made most Jeffrey doubles. My gun was made in 1908 and is in 450-400. John Maples is a very talented Houston machinist as I understand, who made the 470 barrels. I've seen the gun and I recall it is in fine shape. The price is not bad at all for an original rifle with a second set of barrels in a fine caliber. Search the arhives for Hollis here and on nitroexpress.com and you'll find more info. bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
+1 on everything Bob said. I have a 1906 A. Hollis in .500/450.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanna
Nice website!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I knew someone would have some valuable information. It is probably too far beyond what lunch money I can scrounge, but maybe I'll see if Cabelas is in the dickering mood.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice website!

Thanks. My wife's design. I really need to be better about posting inforamtion. I have about 4 hunts that need to be on there since I last posted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd see if you can dicker. It's been listed for a long time.

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a link to it on Cabelas website? I have been unable to find it as apparently they no longer have a link for "Double Rifle". Not interested in buying it but would like it see the pics.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
http://www.cabelas.com/product...26y%3D3&Ntt=a+hollis

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike! tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
No Problem! I just went to the gun library the searched for Hollis.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
That gun is not quite as "crisp" looking in person, if I remember correctly. I think it was in Buda for awhile.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Forgive me, "in Buda"?

<generalwar>
posted
That new Cabelas website setup for there guns is a real POS. I gave up looking on there a while back, the gun library's are suffering because of how bad it is. Not to mention there isn't a sole in reach that understands what there selling.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Forgive me, "in Buda"?

Buda Texas/ South of Austin, North of San Marcos, East of Las Vegas.
Cabelas has a store there Wink
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl...qi=2&ved=0CBwQ8gEwAA

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Oh. Now I'm with you. Thought we might be talking southeast asia. Big Grin

Does give me some fodder to discuss with the Reno folks.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
I'd see if you can dicker. It's been listed for a long time.

+1

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wasn't this rifle listed at Champlin's for a time?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote