New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of my 470 NE. I have a buffalo hunt in August. Has anyone fired reduced loads in a 470 NE. I want to fire at least 250 rounds through the rifle before I take it hunting. I feel it would be a task to fire full powered loads.
I have reloading equipment coming, dies in about 3 weeks from RCBS. Gun coming with 3 boxes factory ammunition.
I will fire some of it, then send the gun, Merkel off th have recoil pad installed, then I will start.
I have never fired anything larger then 375 HH, I know this is in another league. Will start with the largest PAST recoil pad they have, want to get firing offhand with full power loads with just recoil pad on gun.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 500 grain cast projectile and 42 grains of XMR 5744 as a light load in the .470 NE. Not as punishing as the 500 grain Woodleigh @ 2250 fps load for which my rifle was regulated.

Had a mould made by Ballisti-Cast from one of their 480 designs made to 500 gr. Shoots very well indeed.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the 470 NE, I use a 500 grain cast bullet 45.0 grains XMP5744 powder, F215 primers and no filler. Regulates fine in several rifles.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Which cast bullet are you using? I have not been able to find one with a gas check.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one without a gas check. No need for a gas check at 1400 fps.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use a 500 gr cast from a neeco mold - 35 gr of 5744.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Here is some information Butch Searcy gave me:

Note: Butch Searcy uses XMP 5744 with 40 grains (45 max) and 500 grain lead bullets. He doesn’t crimp into lead bullets because it can weaken them. He does crimp jacketed bullets. Butch said XMP 5744 is a dirty powder and you need to watch for its residue on the watertable and down into where the lumps lock in and keep those areas cleaned up. He said that if your full house loads are centered on the bull at 50 yds then the reduced load will shoot 4†low but the groupings will be the same as the full house load.

Butch said that it is very important to full length resize each time no matter which load is being used. Also after the first full length resizing rotate the case 90 degrees and run thru the die again. This is to make the case perpendicular to the head or rim. He said his chambers are parallel but English guns are not thus the case and rim will not come out perpendicular to each other.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got to thinking, I don't want to start casting bullets again, I did it for years with 45 acp for pistol matches. I t hink I will try the pistol bullets by Hornady or Speer. I think this will be the answer, I think Speer makes 400 grain.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote