Find
Notify
Tools

.458Lott in a DR SxS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
I would be interested in knowing where I might find a SxS DR in the .458Lott. I have found O/U in .458WM but not in the Lott nor in SxS. Are they out there and if so what makers and how to find them?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I would be interested in knowing where I might find a SxS DR in the .458Lott. I have found O/U in .458WM but not in the Lott nor in SxS. Are they out there and if so what makers and how to find them?

bewildered LionHunter, I don't think you will find a double rifle, either O/U, or S/S factory chambered for the 458 LOTT, but what you might do is find a S/S 458 Win Mag double, and re-chamber it to the 458 LOTT.

However if you are looking for more power than the 458 win mag, in a S/S double I think you might run into trouble if you want full loads in the LOTT. The best use of the Lott in a S/S double rifle is to lower the pressures developed by the 458 Win Mag with it's larger case capacity. The Lott being a bit larger in capacity, the 458 Win mag's balistics can be reached easily with less chamber pressure. I think the LOTT is what the 458 Win Mag should have been in the first place. Not to get more un-needed velocity, but to get the advertized 458 velocity, with less chamber pressure, and the problems encountered with the 458 Win Mag.

If you are looking for more power, and higher velocity, and higer pressure,than the 458 Win Mag, then you are looking at the wrong format, what you need is a bolt action chambered for the 458 LOTT, and hot rod it all you want!

If you went with the lower pressure, and stick with the 458 Win Mag velocity, there would be no need to re-regulate the rifle in most cases. The 458 Win Mag ammo can be used in the LOTT chamber if your LOTT ammo gets lost in transit.

However, I personally would rather have the 450NE 3.25" with it's flanged cartridge in a double rifle. One of the guys on AR rechambered a CZ O/U double from 458 Win Mag to 458 LOTT, and he loved it, but I have no idea what loads he used in it.

If you intend useing hot loads in the double, please let me find cover!

............... diggin.......... BOOM

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because of the typically long free bore in a 458wm chamber and the absence of COL issues in a double rifle, you can often load long to keep pressures down. I do this with 450gr North Fork flat nose solids, loading about (guessing here since I don't have a loaded cartridge to look at) 3/16" or 1/4" longer than North Fork recomends for a bolt rifle.

Also, because of the several powders that work well in the 458wm, it should be possible to find some loads that surpass typical 458wm factory load performance and shoot to regulation. For example, I shoot a midlin' load of AA 2230 to push 500gr Woodleighs at 2145fps, which beats most if not all factory loads and shoots to regulation. My North Fork load at 2200fps shoots to regulation and also a 350gr Woodleigh or Hornaday load that shoots to regulation.

Imo, 458wm performance, 500grs at 2100fps or better is plenty of performance. After that should be the Lott and 550grs at 2150fps or the 500 and 570grs at ~2150.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rob rechambered his CZ ou to 458 lott, and shoots hornady factory loads in it. works great..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
If you ever find a CZ589 in 458 win mag, buy it at any price and rechamber to .458 Lott.I did that to mine and its a fantastic gun. I've hit pigs offhand at 135yrds with that gun and it will print cloveleaf groups at 75 yrds. It is the most accurate double I own.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've asked because I currently have a RSM .458Lott and have plenty of loaded ammo. I was looking at a 1970s vintage O/U Krieghoff Trek in .458WM but Krieghoff wouldn't re-chamber to a Lott. If I didn't have such a stock of Lott ammo I would consider the WM but it hardly seems to make sense at this point. I would prefer a SxS rather than a O/U as well.

So are there .458wm SxS that I could get rechambered for the Lott?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine would, as would most Beldian and English rifles, and many of the better Ferlach guns as well.

Keep in mind that these also rechamber to 450NE 3 1/4" or 450No2, though the 3 1/4" is the better choice by far, less steel removed and Hornaday ammo.

As a bonus, I am fairly certain that a rifle that will rechamber to Lott would subsequently rechamber to 450 NE 3 1/4" and No2.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't forget that in rechambering you will probably also have to re-regulate. not a cheap proposition.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote