THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Unfamiliar DR opening mechanism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unfamiliar DR opening mechanism
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Guys, I have mentioned a lead I have on a DR. So far, the son of the owner has only sketchy descriptions of the gun, but he said that to open the action, you push open the usual lever at the breech and a second lever at the end of the forend. I'm familiar with the Husqvarna underlever system, but this description baffles me. Anyone know what kind of action this might be? The gun is allegedly a turn-of-the-century London rifle in .450-400 3-inch, maker uncertain. Don't know when I will be able to actually view the gun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lever at the end of the forend is probably the forend latch and has nothing to do with opening the gun.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a number of DRs with a forend latch similar to the Oberndorf style lever used as a magazine release on some rifles. That's probably what he's referring to, as Mr Rose points out as well.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
srose
one of us
Posted 12 February 2011 19:04 Hide Post
The lever at the end of the forend is probably the forend latch and has nothing to do with opening the gun.

+1 tu2

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote