THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Is this a Charles Osborne made rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a Charles Osborne made rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14151

I have see these photos on an Indian website. It is in a provincial town which make the logistics of seeing, inspecting, buying and importing a real nightmare!

I thought it looked like an Osborne rifle retailed by Moore & Clarke. I would like to know people views on this rifle. Is it worth the trouble?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't get any of the photos to open.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears to be off the face AND the metal to wood fit is not as it would have been when made.

That may suggest that either the head of the stock has spread or that the wood has become oil soaked.

It is also a very cheap boxlock in that the hinge pin looks as if it is non-removable. Thus repair would have to be done by re-welding the lump.

Is it worth it? How much does the price, including shipping etc, translate too?

I've seen guns photographed that in the hand are better than the picture. But I've seen a lot more that in the hand are a lot worse than the picture.

If you can't see it I think it is too great a gamble.

William Moore and Grey were, nevertheless in the forty or so years they operated, a company with a good name.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naki

Why do you say Osborne made action ?

Could it possibly be Belgium made ?

Agree re oil soaked stock that has dried.

What are they asking for it ?
Are you sure it can be got out of India without to much graft being paid ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That ammo sure doesn't look like 450/400 Nitro.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
It appears to be off the face

It certainly does.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet it's by Osborne; it looks SO much like mine!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree re it looks like it, but did Osborne make it or did Osborne just put a name to it ?

It also looks like a couple of other guns I've seen - Lawn and Alder being one of them.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Just found this as well

http://books.google.co.nz/book...20%26%20Grey&f=false

IIRC Osborne was the gun maker who made those distinctive bolsters on the sides. Like Webley, Turner and others, Osborne supplied other retailers. William Moore was a stock maker for Mantons the London makers and then he left along with Grey who was a clerk or manager, to set up shop. Lawn & Alder were also a retailer like Rhoda etc.

To answer the questions, the owner says that the white line in the photo is a light reflection (I wondered if it was off face as well). Oil soaked wood is the norm almost among Indian guns. Guns rust so quickly there in the high temp & humidity. He wants about US$ 9k for it. But after all the hassles of arranging an export and possible restocking, re-blackening etc. is it worth it?

I have email contact with the owner and have asked for pictures of the action flats, face and the side view of the bites / hooks. If it has been peaned, it will show in those profiles.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
the owner says that the white line in the photo is a light reflection

Yes, it is a light reflection, from the background that can be seen through the gap.

Jesus, I've heard some tall one's before but that really takes the cake.

Buyer beware is all I can say.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
the owner says that the white line in the photo is a light reflection

Yes, it is a light reflection, from the background that can be seen through the gap.

Jesus, I've heard some tall one's before but that really takes the cake.

Buyer beware is all I can say.

Agree 100%! Hell, Steevie Wonder could see the gap! Are your eyes broken? tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Hell, Steevie Wonder could see the gap!"

LOL

That is good.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
For what it is worth....
My opinion is not to buy anything from India. I have been approached by over a dozen folks from there with photos of everything from Paradoxes up to 4-bores, shotguns, nitro express (including a .600), and black powder express. All have been poor quality and over-used arms, and all (of course) want funds wired to their account and the rifle(s) will be mailed. Be warned......
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Yes, I agree re it looks like it, but did Osborne make it or did Osborne just put a name to it ?

It also looks like a couple of other guns I've seen - Lawn and Alder being one of them.

Retailer Lawn & Alder commissioned mine from Osborne
according to G. Caswell at Champlin Arms. Mine shows
the Lawn & Alder markings on the barrels.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
IMO, that rifle is a dog!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
IMO, that rifle is a dog!

I am sure you're not referring to mine Mac. Big Grin

Jack