New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-500 (?) Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend has a scoped Blaser S2 in 416-500 (I think that is how it goes but it could be 500-416, it is a 500NE necked down to a 416. I am not familar with this round) and he is looking to where to find ammo for it. He is currently paying $20 a round. We told him he it be best to reload for it but he is not in reloading. Blaser recommends factory trophy bonded. Are there any other types of ammo that anyone can recommend.

He also needs to get the barrels regulated, any suggestions on getting this done. The right barrel is sighted in with the scope and the left barrel is hitting 4-6" left of that at 50yds.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$20 a round is pretty much the going rate for factory loaded ammo. He might want to check with Superior Ammunition to see what they would charge. Now you can see why so many DR shooters reload.

As to the regulation issue, I am not sure whether this is a regulation issue at all. DR's will have a natural spread between the barrels. If you sight the right barrel dead on the left barrel is probably going to shoot left. If it were me, the scope whould be sighted to the middle of the point of impact of the two barrels, not just one barrel.

There may also be an ammunition issue here, since 6" at 50 yards sounds a bit big. He needs to get the load the rifle was originally regulated with and try that, if he hasn't already. I don't know if Superior still does this, but they used to offer to take the rifle and develop an optimum load for it. I know Champlins does that, and also does regulation work.

Or, it could just be that that's the best he will get out of the rifle. There are not a lot of Blaser S2 fans out there.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is 500/416. Kreighoff makes factory ammo for it, as I believe it is a proprietary round. Presumably it is regulated for the Kreighoff ammo, but as posted above, find out what ammo was used to regulate it in the first place and then post again. I may have some factory ammo to sell if he needs Kreighoff.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
$20 a round

Best reason to start handloading. thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless things have changed, Kreighoff does not actually make the ammunition. It was/is loaded FOR them by Wolfgang Rommey in Germany.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can get ammo for you and more reasonable than $20 per round. Let me know how many you want to buy and what type of bullets you prefer, Woodleigh, Hawk, Speer, etc. This is top quality, custom ammo manufactured by Grizzly Cartridge Co. I distribute for them. Let me know by PM.

KDM Custom Bullets

Posts: 61 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the regulation on the S2 was adjustable.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
First off this is not yet a regulation problem, but an improperly sighted in scope for a double rifle.

Jim told him the scope was not done correctly, and before you can find how the rifle shoots, one must get the sight right.

Take a fresh target and place it at 25 yds. Then with the rifle haeld in both hands, and not touching anything other than the hands, cheek, and sholuder of the shooter. The hand on the fore-end may rest on a sand bag but should hold the rifle as if shooting off hand. The rifle must absolutely be allowed to recoil naturally. The rifle should be fired, starting with the barrels cool. shooting it RT, LFT, RT, LFT, and mark down on a piece of paper on the bench the order of hits as they hit the target for position on the target. No matter where they print hold on the same aiming point every time. After the four shots are fired, and labeled on the target,shot#1 RT, shot #2 LFT, shot#3 RT, shot#4 LFT, now measure across the group, from the center of the widest hole on each side, then at the half way point between these two extremes, is where the scope should be adjusted to. This is the center of the composite group. Now you can see how the RIFLE, not each barrel is shooting.

The way DAVID C discribed the way it is shooting at 50 yds being the scope being set on the shot from the right barrel, and the shot from the left barrel being 4 to 6' left of that. The scope should have cut that group in half, which would mean the 4' to 6" group he is fireing at 50 yds is the composite group of both barrels, and 4" isn't bad, as a start, especially, since the owner evidently doesn't know anything about double rifles, and is probably scared of the rifle somewhat. The 4",to 6" group at fifty yds, is more likely the result of poor shooting practice, then regulation.

The rifles made for the 500/416NE are normally quite accurate. I think his buddy needs to find someone close by that knows something about doubles, and the care and feeding of same. I'd love to see video of the targets of these trials, and of their shooting practices. I think it would be like turning on the lights on a dark night! Reading would be much easier! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 500/416 is another reason to stay with a real double rifle cartridge, not some wildcat that you can only special order.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
the 500/416 is another reason to stay with a real double rifle cartridge, not some wildcat that you can only special order.

I totally understand. It's a good thing that none of the .400 - .600 NE cartridges have to be special ordered because they are so readily avaliable.

We all know that with real NE cartridges that there is no need to reload, and we are saved from having to special order brass and bullets. animal

Posts: 81 | Location: Hayward, CA | Registered: 11 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I think I'' stroll on down to Sportsman and pick up a box of 577's. Yea right!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote