THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Barrel Making (photos)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Barrel Making (photos)
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Here are some photos of the barrel making process for a double rifle that I thought you might enjoy seeing.

Individual barrels with shoe lump, clamps and wire.

Shoe-Lump being wired in place for assembly.

Barrels with Shoe-Lump in place.

Joints being cleaned up.

Barrels (with Shoe-Lump in place) with top & bottom ribs, quarter rib and front sight ramp.

Barrels being wired together

"Nailing" the ribs.

Soldering the ribs in place

Completed, rough-fitted barrels

Machining the quarter-rib for the rear sight

A two-barrel set (375 Flanged & 500 NE) in-the-white.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.

Cory

Still saving up for a .500NE double rifle(Searcy of course)

Posts: 189 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good pictures. Please continue posting other operations of double gun building.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdoggy700:
Very good pictures. Please continue posting other operations of double gun building.

Careful what you ask for... I just got back from visiting the maker and have about 600 photos and about 3-hours of video!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Chris! Thanks!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. That was pretty cool.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!... thanks...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff!!

How was your trip.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
newguy,

OK, how about picking out the best 30 or 40 and put them on. I would love to see more pictures, It is interesting to me. THANKS

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Keep this up and I will just build my first double! rotflmo

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
WOW! Thanks so much for the images. Please post more. A double is obviously what the ONE TRUE CHURCH would call a "mystery"!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16521 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris, keep it coming.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for posting. very interesting. please continue.

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Careful what you ask for... I just got back from visiting the maker and have about 600 photos and about 3-hours of video!

OK, PLEASE more photos!! dancing
When I talked to you, you were right about getting the "double rifle bug"! Sadly it will be a while yet!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
More more more more !!! Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
OK, here are a few more.

A 600 NE pin-less sidelock action. In-the-white, parts being fitted. Parts and barrels in the background. Look at the locks and you can see how they are made "pin-less." They are machined from a solid piece of steel with the "stems" for the lock pins integral.

Rough-fitted locks. Still need final polish, indexing of screws etc...

600 NE Barrels being fitted to action.

The "working end" of a 600 NE.

A "PH" two-barrel set. 470 NE with 28" 20-gauge barrels. You'll see this one completed at SCI and DSC.

A sidelock 500 NE having the balls on the back of the action shaped. You can see how material still needs to be removed from the action to "fit" the outside profile of the barrels. Done with file and sandpaper.

A fitted and unshaped forend.

Heading up a stock.

Shaping the stock.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chris,
oh WOW!!!!

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I understand "why" double rifle's cost so much!!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Chris!
It sure does answer alot of questions
Thanks,

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Newguy,

All right, I said your best 30 or 40 pictures, don't just tease us with another 9 measly pictures!! keep um comming. Great pics.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
That was simply fabulous! Thank you for the views of the rarely seen.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Exactly what is the "nailing the rib" process?
Is it the forming of the rib to the barrel contour?

Very interesting.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I really want to be a gunsmith now !!!

Rifles are fun

Posts: 1 | Location: Perth,Western Australia | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Chris,
Exactly what is the "nailing the rib" process?
Is it the forming of the rib to the barrel contour?

Very interesting.

"NAILING THE RIB" is forceing a wedge between the wire, and the rib to seat it down to the barrels so there are no WAVES in the rib! Sometimes this is done while heating the solder, and some times before soldering on fluxed rib, and barrels, then laying the solder!

There are other ways to accomplish this, but the wire, and wedge is the most common, among the old makers! H&H uses the wire and wedge method, but their method of heating is not over a burner table,or with a torch, but the barrels are heated to soft soldering themprature, by slideing a series of heated, bore size, rods inside the barrels while applying solder. This gives a more uniform heat aplication, causeing less stress, because the whole barrel is heated to the same temp.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb What an excellent thread! Chris you have outdone yourself.

I can not imagine how great it would be to be able to make a living building double rifles...

Only treking through the dark continent hunting huge tuskers for a living could be better!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote