THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Thoughts on a wooden case for a DR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a wooden case for a DR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if most people purchase one when buying a DR and if so were they satisfied with their decision to do so? Also,what suggestions do they have regarding the quality of the cases?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I was wondering if most people purchase one when buying a DR and if so were they satisfied with their decision to do so? Also,what suggestions do they have regarding the quality of the cases?

George the value of an oak & leather fitted case for a double rifle simply makes the rifle worth about $1500 more than the rifle alone when you get ready to sell it!
They are not made to use as an air travel case, but are display cases.

..................................................................Over and out! BYE! wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a case costs around 3000 although I could be mistaken.I am not sure about spending this much on a case for a 9000 dollar rifle(even if it is better than a 100000 dollar rifle,IMO).I wooden case would be nice however.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think a case costs around 3000 although I could be mistaken.I am not sure about spending this much on a case for a 9000 dollar rifle(even if it is better than a 100000 dollar rifle,IMO).I wooden case would be nice however.

Check out Galazan!

Oak & Leather Trunk Style Gun Case
Limited Time Only Single Case $799, $949 with Accessories

The very best presentation English style Oak & Leather case. This is the finest Oak & Leather case available at any price. Made of one piece brown cowhides. Leather straps, brass hardware and key lock. Ebony internal corners and all external corners are solid brass. Traditional deep maroon colored wool felt, stitched leather wrist strap with buckle, compartments for accessories, cleaning rod, square oil bottle, and two snap caps. Comes with barrel and stock reducers that can be cut for the exact fit. Cases ordered with accessories include a two-piece cleaning rod, nickel oil bottle, two nickel snap caps, and a leather pouch with a mop, split jag, and brass brush. This case is suitable for the finest gun in the world. This price includes a very heavy canvas cover with leather corners and piping. These are not just decorative they are designed to protect the leather. Please specify gauge. Single case is approx. 33" x 10" x 3 3/4"

Our trunk cases are not only great ways to carry your gun but they are also excellent ways to display them. Put your favorite gun in one of our gun cases with all of the proper gun accessories, they enhance the gun to a new level. When you open the lid and display the gun everybody immediately knows it is truly something special.

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a nice case but I would like one made for my particular rifle with the input of the rifle builder.I know I would really want a case if the rifle will shoot-especially for an accurate DR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Mac is dead on about his suggestion these cases being for display and not for air travel.

I think that you should decide what your intended use of the case is. If it going to be used to show case your double then a wooden case will work just fine.

However if you want to travel with it and get the most protection a Pelican case is the way to go.

In addition to Galazan there is also Jeff's Outfitters at www.jeffsoutfitters.com. The have leather and canvas cases.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Why are you guys even responding to him? Confused

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:

THANK YOU!!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bingo! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because there is the off chance that he may
listen.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
Because there is the off chance that he may
listen.

rotflmo

You're new here, eh?

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not new here, well aware of his reputation.
Chalk it up to feeling nice today.
Might still get bitten in the ass anyway.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
There are those who can disagree with others,
and easily express their opinion politely and
respectfully. I've seen it done many times here
on AR. There are too many others, who when they
disagree with a point, express themselves in an
unpleasant way. Some people have done this so
often, and have been chided for it over and over
again. These offenders do NOT seem to try to
change their ways. It's time in my opinion, to
shun these "barbarians", and drive them to
discontinue their presence here as a result of
NEVER being responded to, even if they do occas-
ionally post in a civil manner.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

donttroll

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
To my mind, a case of the oak and leather variety is a waste of money on any rifle at the lower end of the five digit realm in terms of price. Use a Pelican Case for travel and this for day to day...

http://www.robertcochrane.com/legomutton.html

JMHO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the oak and leather for show by an Americase for go.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to predict right here and right now that Shootaway's new double will have accuracy problems. I wold also like to predict that it will have soft bores and will wear out rapidly with any cleaning or repeat shooting.

Just a guess.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I would like to predict right here and right now that Shootaway's new double will have accuracy problems. I wold also like to predict that it will have soft bores and will wear out rapidly with any cleaning or repeat shooting.

Just a guess.

I predicted that some time ago also! Butch Searcy is going to have his good name dragged thru the mud if the rumor of the order is correct.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just a guess.

Nah, I'll bet it will throw consistent Modified patterns at 30 yards...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10471 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, it sounds like the wood cases are not good for air travel, I'm not surprised. But what are your thougths on using it as a case that goes in your car for a trip to the range or out for a day of hunting. I really want one for such use and was thinking about making one myself but as my woodworking skills are limited to bird houses that even birds won't live in, it is probably just an interesting waste of my time to make one.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fo

For what it costs for a cheap metal (Aluminium) case with some foam in it, you might as well buy one for travel to the range.

I have a few metal and plastic cases for that purpose.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont want to even think about using a wooden case for anything other than displaying a good rifle if not to anyone but myself.Any rifle that shoots accurate and looks very nice should have a special case built for it.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I don't know about all the previous responses to this person but the question certainly seems appropriate to me. I have used wood,leather,and canvas cases for years for my shotguns when transmitting to shoot. There used to be a place in Texas that made a really nice case for a double gun that was both reasonably inexpensive and perfectly adequate for the purpose of carrying in the trunk to the shooting site. I had no reluctance to use them for my Berreta ASE and Browning Grade V when I was shooting.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fo Fiddy NE:
So, it sounds like the wood cases are not good for air travel, I'm not surprised. But what are your thougths on using it as a case that goes in your car for a trip to the range or out for a day of hunting. I really want one for such use and was thinking about making one myself but as my woodworking skills are limited to bird houses that even birds won't live in, it is probably just an interesting waste of my time to make one.

Fo Fiddy NE, I have fitted cases for six of my seven double rifles. They are all but one leather cases from Galazan,Cape Outfitters,and factory cases, one Oak & leather case for a Westley Richards, and the leather factory for the rest Merkel, and Winchester. I have a Take down short Tuff-pak that I use for two double rifles in break down soft cases plus other gear and several hard sided rifle cases both for take-down, and full length cases for air travel.

The cases are not a waste of money, they simply add value to your double rifle. The only double I have with no fitted case is a .58 Cal percussion muzzle loader! Only because it is too long.

..................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I opted for an Americase. Beauty and the Beast!

Americase fitted Side by Side Rifle

There is no way that I would trust Oak and Leather to protect my double rifle while traveling. Why buy two separate cases?
The Americase is beautiful and WILL protect your investment!

Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I opted for an Americase. Beauty and the Beast

There is no way that I would trust Oak and Leather to protect my double rifle while traveling. Why buy two separate cases?
The Americase is beautiful and WILL protect your investment
Just my opine!

I had forgotten about Rusty's Ameracase fitted case. It is a buy, and makes sense but is not a classic. I have a compartment fitted case that someone shipped a double in, and the walls of some of the compartments inside collapsed. for air travel I prefer my rifles incased in foam. With the fitted Ameracase I would cut some pieces of foam to take up any air space spaces so nothing could collapse and let the rifle parts get in contact with each other. This would increase the safety for the contents, and still have a classic fitted display case. Very good idea. I only live about 40 miles from their factory, and I may go down and talk to them about one of these, and a two double case like the one they made for Todd Williams.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
This is mine from Americase. I do use it for air travel but I stuff underwear (clean thank you), socks, and T shirts (no not used Boddington models) in all of the voids just to add a bit of additional padding. Most folks at the airport don't even think of it being a gun case and it always comes out with the regular luggage. Courtney shoe added for scale.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome case, Todd! Thanks for sharing!

What I need for Americase to make is a case for my Mauser M03 stock and two barrels on one side and my 450/400 3 inch double on the other! It will take 4 men and a small boy to carry it! Big Grin animal

Looks like I have another day trip to Waxahachie, Texas for me!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Don't know if you remember it but I had this case at the range the day you, I, and Jines shot!

BTW, I hear from a reliable source that Bwana Jines scored ... "Properly", a few days ago in the CMS camps!

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
An oak and leather case needs to travel to get that nice lived in look that comes over time....

Scuffs and patina are all part of the memories.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus the old style travel lables, Railway, BOAC, Various shipping lines !

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great news about Bwana Jines! Sorry I missed seeing your case. Which model is yours case?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the model actually Rusty. It was a full up custom job but I'm sure they started with a standard case of some type. Dimensions are 6" thick, 28" long, and I think 11" wide. Whatever that equates to.

That was a fun day at the range though, eh? Your rifle and all of those vintage shooters of Bwana Jines' gave me the bug for one myself! I've actually found a pre WWII, leather and oak cased, H&H Royal Sidelock, scoped with period quick detach system and scope, in 375FL. Just haven't "pulled the trigger" so to speak! Cool

Yeah, from what I understand, Bwana Jines has a new nickname. "Lion King" or something like that! sofa

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Todd
It was as fun day. I look forward shooting with you and "L K" Jines again!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todds case is like one thing trying to do everything but not doing one thing best.It is not an attractive display case,and may not be the safest way of transporting rifle by airline travel.It looks like it weighs a ton too.Todd missed again!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todds case is like one thing trying to do everything but not doing one thing best.It is not an attractive display case,and may not be the safest way of transporting rifle by airline travel.It looks like it weighs a ton too.Todd missed again!

Sorry this happened to Todd. He is such a fine gentleman, too. Welcome to the garbage collector's club.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

Sorry this happened to Todd. He is such a fine gentleman, too. Welcome to the garbage collector's club.
Cal

Cal,you wont make friends with them by attacking me.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
And somebody asked why we even respond to this asshole. I knew better. I knew better! I KNEW BETTER.

Hey George. FUCK OFF ASSHOLE!!

Actually, the case, empty, weighs 17 pounds. I think most of the TuffPaks weigh between 19 and 21 pounds. We went through this discussion last year when I first received it. It has a relatively thick aluminum shell, comparable to the aluminum cases on the market. The outsides have a minimum of 1.5" padding, and each item fits snuggly into it's compartment, with the exception of the frame / buttstock compartment. There, they have a padded strap system whereby you compress the frame into the padding, then strap it into place. It's very snug and not likely to move. The divider between the top and bottom is padded and you'll notice some depressions in the velvet lining which are due to the compression caused by closing the case. Once it's all strapped down and closed up, there really isn't anywhere the items can move. In addition, it has three locks with a canvas covering that locks down in three different directions. It's very secure and I'd highly recommend it for air travel. It hasn't let me down yet!

Total weight when loaded up? 500NE 10.25 lbs, 9.3x74 with scope 7.25 pounds, case 17 pounds. Total weight loaded and ready to travel ... 34.5 pounds. 15.5 pounds under the max weight allowed by the airline before being labeled as "Heavy".

Hey Cal, thanks for letting me into the garbage collector's club! Amazing what you can find in here, eh? Good company to boot!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
And somebody asked why we even respond to this asshole. I knew better. I knew better! I KNEW BETTER.

LOL, You knew it was going to happen..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just a guess.

I predicted that some time ago also! Butch Searcy is going to have his good name dragged thru the mud if the rumor of the order is correct.

This.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote