New
Find
Notify
Tools

.475 #2 Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Let's hear your stories featuring this 500 grain cartridge. When I see one of these rounds I am transported to just where I want to be...

Pre WW2 AFRICA!!!!!

By the way, any such rifles on the market?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack
There are no flies on the 475 No2.
But in truth, it is no better a killer than any of the rifles in the 450 to 475 group.
I wanted my double rifle to be a .458 bore because of the available bullets in .458.
However 9 years later, knowing what I know now...
Any of the NE's in 450 to 475 are GREAT hunting calibres.
The 450/400's ain't no slouch either.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack:

A Jeffery 475#2 underlever snap action is my dream double rifle. Several years ago I had a chance to buy one and went with a Westley Richards instead. Now I'm being punished. Can't find one for love nor money. I have a magazine with a picture of an old time hunter with his Jeffery and 2 huge lions. If I could ever get a good copy of that photo, it would be in my gun room next to the rifle. Oh well, maybe some day!!! cheers

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS,

Please detail what "snap action" means. I've heard the phrase, but don't know what makes it different from other hinge pin actions. Thanks.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack:

Rather than opening with a top lever it uses a lever behind the trigger guard. An over siplification would be something similar to a Ruger #1. If you go to Searcy Enterprises web site and look up an "underlever", you can get a good idea what it looks like.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS:

I have a copy of "Big Bore Rifles" edited by Jack Lott from the "Guns and Ammo" action series of 1983. In the chapter of "Classic Double Rifles" is the picture you are referring to, I believe. Page 60.

Perhaps you could contact Petersen Publishing company in Los Angeles and see if they can pull it out of their archives.

Good Luck.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I confess, I have totally fallen into a state of awe regarding this cartridge.

I know of course that the following would require reregulation of the barrels.

I expect to be told these .458 - .488'S kill equally and there's no practical reason to do the following.

I guess DR lovers don't think much about the word "PRACTICAL".

Typically, if a Chapuis, Merkle, Kreighoff, Heym is built in .470 NE caliber, structurally is there enough barrel mass to rebore, rechamber to this larger caliber?

Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

There is what looks to be a decent one at Westley Richards in Montana. It's a Watson Brothers that they are asking $19,500 for. Might be a bit heavy at 12.4lbs.

Jim

Posts: 134 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 29 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Friend, I'll have a look!

Jack

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
Typically, if a Chapuis, Merkle, Kreighoff, Heym is built in .470 NE caliber, structurally is there enough barrel mass to rebore, rechamber to this larger caliber?

Probably so, but it would be a huge, costly PITA.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a good cartridge. If you're enamored with it, thats a good enough reason try one. The Jeffery rifles in this caliber are workhorses. The .475s are usually heavier than .450s or .470s, but they're also surprisingly pleasant to shoot.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of building, or should I say getting togther the materials to build a .475 # 2 at present. N.E. 450#2 is right in what he said all the 450s and the .475, 470 ans such are in the same catigory. One pluss with the 450#2 and the 475#2 is that they are very low pressure so your brass will last a very long time. Ammo can be hard to find for any of these cartridges but practicality is not a strong suite with double rifle fans, they like what they like and that is that! I have a .450#2 I built and love it!!! I think I will hate to part with this 475 but I am building it for a customer who loves the cartridge.

It is not what you hunt with, it is how you hunt that matters!

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote