Find
Notify
Tools

"Smaller" caliber DB´s?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all

I am not sure, and maybe all wrong to, but today it seems that every body who talks about a DB is only thinking of the big bore once.

Yes, there are so much good information here on the 450/400, 476 WR and so one, but where are the smaller DB´s?

I know it was made lot´s of great DB´s in 6-7 and 8mm and also 318 and 333 was made in DB´s to.

I am sure thats a great gun for deer and smaller games in Africa.

Any one who have one and use them?

Do not get me wrong, I really love the DB in a large caliber, but I also love it in a small caliber, to fast shot, ready when I go after roe deer. Just what I need.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Others more knowledgeable will chime in, but they are out there in both sxs and o/u. The shop where I just bought a Parker 30-30 sxs also had a Merkel 8 mm o/u. Browning makes or did make a 30-06 o/u. Chapuis is expected to do a 30-30 sxs. And though the cost might be prohibitive you could probably order a double in about any flanged cartridge you wanted from the name builders. At least I imagine that's the case...

We also just had a thread here on shotgun double conversions in smaller or lighter cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post

Whether Africa for Kudu, or Canada for wolves and whitetails or bear... The absolute beauty and handling of a fine O/U can't be beat IMHO of course!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Browning. I'm sure the 30-06 work fine in it, but do you have a take generally on rimless in a double? Also, what kind of scope?

Btw, that quote had to be from Teddy and not that other guy in his family...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

Thanks for replying to me

Yes, nice O&U! Thats what I mean, good for ALL kind of game one hunt. But, yes, the price of a small caliber db is maybe why they are not so popular today.

But, I know they was made back in the good old day´s, and used to.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a nice German SxS in 8x57 JR, a Kodiak SxS in 8x57 JRS, a Chapuis Sxs in 30-06, and a Remington SxS in 45/70, and one in 30-06. I really have enjoyed them all. They are awesome for the close, quick shooting in the thick stuff I deer hunt in. I have had no problems with any of them so far. Enjoy!

Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used my 9,3x74R Chapuis a great deal in the US, Canada and Zimbabwe.

It is one of my favorite hunting rifles.

A double rifle from 7x57 up to 9,3x74R, especially if scoped is a great hunting rifle.

If you find the right loads for it it works well out to at least 300 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the main questions aren't whether a DB can be found or will eventually be built. I think it's what caliber or cartridge you want it in for your particular needs.

As a life long deer hunter in N.A. I gradually came to prefer the 30-06 over all other rifles. It's just such a good all-around long range/short range and one you can also take out West if you ever get to do that. Plenty of power but real tame recoil. That's just my personal preference.

Second, there's the flanged vs. rimless decision. I'm not sure on the tech details of that, but I'd probably like it in a flanged. Once again just as a matter of personal preference. If such a thing were available I'd go with the .348 Winchester. It's basically 30-06 ballistics and can take down anything in N.A., same as the '06.

Last, do you like an O/U or SxS? I'll take the side by side, but mainly for tradition and IMO esthetics rather than any functional difference (the sighting plane in a SxS maybe is a slight advantage?)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all

Oh yes, a light double in 8*57JR, nice deer, hog gun. Sure it will be good in Africa to.

Thanks for the replying all

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I have a Kreighoff SxS in 7X65R and really love hunting with it. It's a blast, fast swinging, and a second shot faster than anything else.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice double that!
You hunt more than deer with it?

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Very nice Browning. I'm sure the 30-06 work fine in it, but do you have a take generally on rimless in a double? Also, what kind of scope?

I had kept a journal on this rifle till I went past a certain round count and got lazy. There have been no problems which did not have a happy resolution. When adding the Leupold 3X in the claw mounts the regulation went north... Factory regulation is with 150 grain bullets, now it shoots 200"s. I would have paid extra for that upgrade!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of smaller, the nearby Bass Pro recently had a delicate Merkel-like sxs in .250-3000. Even at its rather inflated price tag, it did not last long. Talk about mouth watering...

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Mmm, now thats a sweet DR.....Wish the happy owner good luck

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I bought a little 8X57JRS Bernardelli Express 2000. Lots of fun! I'm having some QD mounts and a scope put on her. Here a link to my original thread about her with some pictures.

Express 2000

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

Thanks a sweet DR

Had the QD on yet? Nice caliber for deer and so.

Thanks for sharing Smiler

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alex Henry .360 2&7/16" bpe

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Oh, Wow!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH more WOW!! Smiler
What a nice double!
SKB, have you used it for hunting?
Shot it?

Like to know some more about that one..Nice!

Thanks for sharing

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shot it a bunch, have yet to bloody it. Oh did I mention how well it shoots? Group shot at 50 yards, I was working on a legit 1" group and then pulled the 4th shot. Still, 2" aint bad. If I could see worth a damn I think it could really shoot.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have always loved the double rifles but unfortunately I never had the financial resources to satisfy my craving. I saw this Cogswell & Harrison in a local shop about 35 years ago priced at $1,300 but that was a fortune to me at the time and I couldn't afford it.

A couple years later it was back in the same shop once again on consignment. This time it was priced at $1,900 and this time I decided not to let it get away. I borrowed $1,000 from a relative, the only time I ever borrowed money to buy a gun, and it was mine.

It was stolen in 1986 along with all my other guns in a burglary. Police in another city recovered it when some yahoo was walking around a gun show offering it for $200. Nobody would touch it figuring it was hot and somebody called the cops to talk to the guy.

The caliber is the .375 Nitro Express or .375x2.5" Flanged. Not sure if this would be considered a small bore but it's definitely not a big bore. The original load a 270 grain bullet at around 2000 FPS. I load Speer 235s to around 2300 FPS and plink with 250 grain lead slugs at around 1800. I am told this caliber was popular with tiger hunters headed for India back in the day.

I contacted C&H a number of years ago and learned that the rifle was first sold in 1910. A member here who lives in Great Britain ran down the original owner's name and he turned out to be Ian Fleming's father in law. Weird.

The rifle shoots very well from what little bench testing I have done. Writing this post has made me anxious to take it out and shoot it some more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKB, wow..Nice shoting!
Lucky you, who have that pretty double.
What bullet´s you use?
Speed you get?

You just have to take her out hunting..Oh, sorry, can not tell you what to do..Just me thinking out.

Saxonpig, thats a nice double. Glad you got it back.
A C&H, 375 Flanget, nice caliber to.
Take it out hunting yet?

Thanks for sharing

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a BRNO 7X57R O/U which is very accurate. It is very pleasant to carry and shoot with no scope but a scope makes it unwieldy. Unfortunately I can'[t see well enough to shoot more than 50 yds without a scope. Age has it's penalties.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

A nice double it is.
You hunt with it to?
Yes, age..oh, some we win and some we lose

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Here's another FN-Browning CCS25 in 9,3x74R.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saxon Pig

The 375 Flanged is a great cartridge. Elmer Keith used his for elk and spoke highly of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
skb

That is a nice looking and shooting double.

What bullet and at what velocity are you shooting it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andre, nice double.
Thanks for sharing.

NE 450No2, yes, the .375 Flanged is good, guess it is more or less the same as a 9.3*74R. And that is a good cartridge.

SKB, hope to hear what bullet and velocity you shot with. A very nice double you got.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm unsure of velocity as I am shooting a compressed load of black powder in it. Using 200 grain hawk bullets. Every single person I talked to said it would never work....it pays to see for yourself sometimes. The load is 60 grains of goes express, compressed about 3/16", dry hard fiber wad, lubed wad topped by a soft hawk bullet. I do love that little gun. I can not imagine owing a finer small double rifle.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats GOEX express.....is there an edit function on this board?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks SKB!

Well, as you say, it pays to see and find out. And you got lucky Smiler

That small double rifle is just great. Have you take it out hunting to??

Cheers all
Vegard_dino