THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Second Set of Barrels or a New Gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second Set of Barrels or a New Gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted
I got a Chapuis in 470 and was wondering about getting a second set of barrels for it in 375 FL? Anyone had a second pair made/know how much they run? Or should I just buy a new Chapuis in 9.3X74R and use that for plains game and the 470 for DR?

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
I got a Chapuis in 470 and was wondering about getting a second set of barrels for it in 375 FL? Anyone had a second pair made/know how much they run? Or should I just buy a new Chapuis in 9.3X74R and use that for plains game and the 470 for DR?

Just a guess, but you can probably find a used 9,3x74 for alot less money than buying a set of barrels to match your gun. You'd probably have to send your gun back to France and have it custom fitted for the new barrels. It's not usually cost effective.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus, if you decided to sell the rifle for some reason, you'd be selling "both" calibers.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a 470 Chap and also wanted a 9.3. He ended up purchasing a new 9.3 rifle which was easier than sending the 470 back for fitting of a set of an unbalanced lighter barrels.
Another bonus is that for this years Safari we also have a set of 20ga barrels that the 9.3 came with and now all set for Guinea fowl .

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Buy a second gun for sure. For example last year in Zim I took my .500 and my 9.3x74R. While hunting primarily for elephant, I was able to take several animals of opportunity (kudu, sable, zebra, warthog, impala). When I got out of the cruiser, simply told the tracker "big gun" or "little gun". There would never have been enough time to swap out barrels.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
get a new 9,3 less expencive than a new barrel set, and lots more fun.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
get a new 9,3 less expencive than a new barrel set, and lots more fun.

best

peter

Plus 1.

I have a pair of double rifles and though not Cahpuis (Merkels) a 470NE 140-2, and a 140E-1 9.3X74R, and this combination works fine for hunting far from home where a second rifle is a good back-up! Both rifles are properly ballanced for the chambering!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Is money an issue or are you looking for portability and ease of moving from County to Country?

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
For me the ease of having one action with multiple chamberings is a huge draw, but on the other hand price is definately a player.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a O/U Heym in 375 H&H and wanted a 470NE barrel for it I was going to have to send the firearm to Heym in Germany for fitting.
It was also going to be cheaper to buy a good used double. (not a high end one)
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess maybe in Europe having multiple barrel sets is not uncommon. The Emmebi web site has several gun cases on special that are set up for two barrel sets for double rifles. My Tikka 512SD is a three barrel set (including case) and I have a two barrel set for my Blaser bolt rifle (including case). So perhaps buying a set from the get go is cheaper than adding another set. There is a Searcy set for sale in the classifieds.
There is no denying the "cool factor".
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cost is not the only factor in deciding between a second set of barrels versus a complete firearm.

If the caliber or gauge selection for the second set suggests a different sized frame ... I would recommend a second complete firearm.

I do have a Chapuis 9,3x74R that has a second barrel set in 3" 20 gauge. That is an almost ideal combination because the shotgun barrel set fits the action size perfectly ... and has proven to be a lovely shotgun as well as a wonderful little double rifle.

(BTW: Got it as a used pair, and very happy to have it! I have a .470 NE Searcy as well.)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Mike. I recently acquired a Chapuis RGEX Series 3 Progress SxS 6.5x57R with QD scope and extra set of 28 ga. bbls.. Very sweet! Cool

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
guy's

dual barrel systems is sweet, and it is very nice to have.
the only thing is when you get a used gun and have to fit new barrels to it is just takes that bit of extra time and that is why it cost a bit more.

my favorite rifle setup is one of my alex henrys which is a 20/577 double rifle with an extra set of danl. frazer barrels in 450/400 3 1/4". i cant wait to take this setup hunting.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to know what the price range is for a second set, noone has mentioned it yet, and who in the U.S does it?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a second set of rifle barrels around 10k + and shotgun barrels usually 3500 and up

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
JJ's price is around 7K or at least that's what it said on the website

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell your rifle and order a new one with 2 sets of bsrrels...That is the only way that makes good financial sense as far as I can tell.

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purists will say that as stock fit is not the same for a double rifle (puts the centre of the group "on the mark") as a shot gun (puts the centre of the pattern 60% above and 40% below the line of sight) it is a poor compromise.

Two rifle calibres may make sense. Particularly where the base of the two cartridges is much the same. But a double rifle fitted with a set of shot gun barrels will always make a poor shot gun IMHO.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote