Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading
 Login/Join

posted
I just picked up a double rifle that I had built, and I realized that my reloading press will not accommodate the 3 1/4" case. What reloading press do any of you guys reccommend for the nitro express cartridges (what will have a large enough opening for the round)???

Any help will be appreciated!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/9501012721

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link...any personal experience with the Lee Classic press? It is much less expensive than the ammomaster or the corbin that was mentioned in the link.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It appears to work pretty good from what I've heard. I use an old Lyman T-Mag with a 6 hole head that works well for me and 3 1/4" brass.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I use a Rock Chucker IV for 2 different 3 1/4" cases and have been very satisfied. It may tight for a 3 1/2" case.

Which caliber and make did you buy? You cannot ask for advice without telling the inquiring minds. Smiler

Congratulations on the rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding Ultra Mag handles 3.5 inch tall brass based ammo like 450 #2 ,

475 #2 and wildcats based on those. It's not for the 50 BMG 4" based stuff

or 4 bore, 2 bore 4".

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I reload my 450/400 3 inch on a Lee Classic. It does a great job.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The gun is a little non-traditional, but I had a 45-120 built. With 96gr. of H4831 and a 500 grain Hornday, I am getting about 2105 FPS. This duplicates the 450 3 1/4 ballistics, but the dies and components are much more economical. Is there a place to post pics? The gun is beautiful. Thanks for all of the advice on the press, I think I will try the Lee Classic for $80.00.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Here is a link on how to post pictures.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1325/m/951100671/p/1

If you have any problems email them to me and I can post them if you would like.

kburke2006@att.net

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Those are some big old rounds. If you go to Africa do not tell the animals they are being shot with an American round and they will die just fine.

Here are Cataractjack's pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the particulars like bbl length, weight, what

is the foundation the rifle is built on, and so on?

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The gun was a 16 gauge E. Scmidt & Habermann german shotgun....After some research we assumed it was made around 1925-26. It has been converted to a 45-120 nitro express. It has 23" shilen barrels and after adding some weight to the stock it balances nice on the hinge at 9.25lbs. It still thumps on both ends with the full power loads. I had a gunsmith in PA build the rifle for me. I sent pics of the build to Kburke. With a 500gr Hornady and 96grs of 4831 it matches the ballistics of the 450 nitro express. The pressure is low enough that I can just flick my wrist and eject the brass. I had cnsidered some RL-15 to maybe get a little more speed, but at 2105, I will probably stick with these loads.....got to get a press first!! To bad nothing is in season in NC, the gun has been begging to kill something.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of more pictures

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope it serves you very well! With 23" bbls it will point quickly.

Jack