THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Name Your Press For 3.5 Inch Brass [or longer]
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name Your Press For 3.5 Inch Brass [or longer]
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you are using 450 #2 brass or any other 3.5" OR longer

brass for your ammo, what press are you using please?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS AmmoMaster

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
RCBS AmmoMaster

+1

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
RCBS AmmoMaster

+1

+2!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I've posted this before but for my vintage guns I use a vintage Hollywood turret press. Will do any reloading chore with ease, bore rifles, African cartridges, swage, bullet size ( 12,10, 8 and 4 gauge hard cast bullets) shotgun shells 410 to 4 gauge from 2" to ? at about 200 or so per hour. I know of no other modern press which is as versatle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Lee Classic Cast press to load for my .450 #2. However, after seating a 500 gr Hornady, I have to unscrew the seating die about 1 1/2 turns to remove the finished cartridge from the shell holder. It's a nice press with some features, like priming, that IMHO are better than my Rock Chucker. If I had to do it again, I'd buy an AmmoMaster!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My case is only 3 1/4". My old Rockchucker is supposed to lack enough opening, but I can load .450 NE using the new Hornady dies. I haven't tried the longer 480 grain Hornady and Woodleigh bullets yet. So far, just 480 grain Hawk soft-nose and 405 gr Remington JFNs.

Ron Vella wrote that he has to unscrew his seating die 1 1/2 turns and his press has a larger opening than mine does. I think the reason I can load the .450 NE is the Hornady seating die design.

BigFiveJack, the Hornady seating die I'm using is not cartridge specific. Maybe it will help you with your longer round.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I usually just slid the shell holder with loaded round out a bit and the round just slides out.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I usually just slid the shell holder with loaded round out a bit and the round just slides out.

Please, out of what press sir?

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS A4. Okay, "Big Max".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lee Classic

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS Ammomaster for 375 length on up. Very pleased with the press and how easy it is to reach in from either side.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Jack:

You are too worried about this stuff. You are like an engineer - you will never get the perfect answer; everything can be improved.

Just go with the AmmoMaster and all RCBS components and be done with it. You won't regret it.

And when I say go with RCBS for everything, I mean it. No more questions on "which trim die is the best..." "Which case lube should I use."

Just go with RCBS and worry about other things in life.

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Jack:

You are too worried about this stuff. You are like an engineer - you will never get the perfect answer; everything can be improved.

Just go with the AmmoMaster and all RCBS components and be done with it. You won't regret it.

And when I say go with RCBS for everything, I mean it. No more questions on "which trim die is the best..." "Which case lube should I use."

Good advise.

I do recommend Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

I think Redding markets it now.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Jack:

animal rotflmo animal rotflmo animal
577 you've given me a good laugh at MYSELF! THANKS!

I can happily say that I've acquired some RCBS equipment

and have more on order.

Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Corbin swaging press with a shell holder adapter in it.

Is very long in the throat ... and produces very concentric ammo.

Until this one came along I had always been able to make an Rock Chucker work well enough.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577NitroExpress,

I resemble that remark. We engineers can't help obsessing over things. It is in our nature to be that way. My wife long ago gave up trying to make me into a normal human being.

Jack,

I just tried loading 480 grain Hornady DGX and DGS. No problems but my overall length is a bit under four inches.

Other than getting another press with a larger opening, the only thing I can think of is you checking out those Hornady lock and load bushings or the similar ones that Lee uses on their aluminum press. I think the press is called Challenger. I don't know if the Lee bushings will work with other presses.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yessssssssss on the Corbin. I have one and you could reload 2mm Vulcan machine-cannon ammo on it.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B_D thanks for experimenting and reporting back.
I appreciate all the above facts and opinions. thumb

Jack