THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I shall be expecting a new double rifle.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I shall be expecting a new double rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
Thanks for your clarification re the wood stuck in the top lever mechanism.
I remember reading something about a shim in the discussions??

I agree that any heavy calibre double can fail when it comes to timber stocks.
It's a variable and the wood does expand and contract, whick can cause small cracks/ weak spots which can lead to failure.
As I said in my response to The other gentleman, in my experience the Searcy rifles are well regulated
And shoot straight!
Fit and finish aren't to the standard of the top English manufacturers , but then price plays a big role
here!!

I am glad you like your Searcy, and it certainly shoots as we saw in Rays video of your bull!
Hope your 450 is all that you hope for.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick,how is you WR shooting? I've seen some nice looking Westley Richards rifles.They make beautiful rifles.The one thing I questioned about your rifle is how straight the comb of the stock was.There was very little if any drop.That may be good for a scoped rifle but not for an iron sighted rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootaway
.The one thing I questioned about your rifle is how straight the comb of the stock was.There was very little if any drop.That may be good for a scoped rifle but not for an iron sighted rifle.

that is assumption and is dictated by the shooters stance , hold and shooting style (modern shotgun shooters get down on their stocks and as you say those olympic guys shoot so well, how could you argue.
i myself do like plenty off drop and keep my head upright but again, thats personal.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George ,
The WR is fantastic, shoots 1.5" apart left and right at 50m. Fantastic regulation,as
It shoots woodleigh conventional,hydros and CEB solids and raptors all to point of aim at 50m

A freak in the double rifle world I believe !!!

Haven't shot anything but paper yet, off for bull ele Namibia in May and buff in October in Moz.

The stock does have some drop and a little cast as well.

The photos are deceptive, but it's made to fit me and may well not fit others!

I'm very happy with how it's turned out, and love the droplock action.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Shootaway
.The one thing I questioned about your rifle is how straight the comb of the stock was.There was very little if any drop.That may be good for a scoped rifle but not for an iron sighted rifle.

that is assumption and is dictated by the shooters stance , hold and shooting style (modern shotgun shooters get down on their stocks and as you say those olympic guys shoot so well, how could you argue.
i myself do like plenty off drop and keep my head upright but again, thats personal.

You cannot align your eye properly unless you bring that rifle up high, touch your cheek to the comb and get your eye behind those sights.
A drop in the heel of the stock lets you accomplish this.I don't see any other way.Therefore a straight comb is a huge disadvantage.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote