THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I shall be expecting a new double rifle.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I shall be expecting a new double rifle.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A Searcy 450NE in about a month+ time.Prepare yourselves for a treat.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have one; you are getting the best double rifle made today. And a great caliber too. Mine is regulated within one inch at 50. And Butch gives you the load that will do it every time, shot after shot. Gets boring they are so accurate.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Did he make you sign a waiver this time?

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:

I love it! Best post of the new year.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:

Aaron,

Was I suppose to sign waver's for my 600NE & 700NE doubles that you built for me? Confused

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2141 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Your forum presence didnt invoke those measures.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little forum search will reveal the raison d'etre for Aaron's comment. It is well received by many of us.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone doesn't like me I have no issue with that.I don't like you either.Seeking out and showing up on my thread or anyone others that you don't get along with in order to insult is harassment.Please don't harass me.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Don't take me too seriously. Enjoy your new Searcy. Butch is a great guy who's always answered my questions over the years and builds a fine rifle.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to updates George, I have a rifle being finished by Mr. Searcy myself.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seeking out and showing up on my thread or anyone others that you don't get along with in order to insult is harassment.Please don't harass me.

In other words, is this like someone who shows up on another's thread showing his fine doubles and says they are trash and garbage? Just curious if the pot is calling the kettle black.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Seeking out and showing up on my thread or anyone others that you don't get along with in order to insult is harassment.Please don't harass me.

In other words, is this like someone who shows up on another's thread showing his fine doubles and says they are trash and garbage? Just curious if the pot is calling the kettle black.
Cal

Big Grin

Karma!

DRSS

Posts: 1930 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
I'm looking forward to updates George, I have a rifle being finished by Mr. Searcy myself.

What chambering? Will it be your first Searcy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s going to be a 450 nitro Classic. I’m happy for you,getting a double rifle is exiting.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dilly Dilly!! Big Grin

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have one; you are getting the best double rifle made today.

It's wonderful when someone is happy with their purchases/decisions, etc.
I hope this statement by dpcd is true, for it would be quite a feather in Mr.
Searcy's hat, and that of America's too! I recall in the past though, some number
of buyers of Searcy rifles promptly needed to ship their brand new acquisitions
back to this maker, once the customer had fired a few rounds. Have the great
bulk of 2017 deliveries been trouble free?

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpcd: you are getting the best double rifle made today. QUOTE]

Any qualifications to that statement? Like in that price range, etc?

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, definitely needs qualification.

I'll put my WR 500 drop lock up against any Searcy.

Price does matter.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

I just want to say that you probably will love that caliber and you will find it as useful at the 500 you have, but smoother to shoot.
I used my VC 450 NE for the first time in July in the Zambezi Valley ( PH was Rich T. ) and killed a big buffalo cow with one shot on 70 yards. I dropped a tuskless with the same caliber on 36 yards, but my own error putting the 45 degree side shot 4 inches too high and 3 inches to the right, so I needed a couple more.

Good luck with tne new rifle !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
George,

I just want to say that you probably will love that caliber and you will find it as useful at the 500 you have, but smoother to shoot.
I used my VC 450 NE for the first time in July in the Zambezi Valley ( PH was Rich T. ) and killed a big buffalo cow with one shot on 70 yards. I dropped a tuskless with the same caliber on 36 yards, but my own error putting the 45 degree side shot 4 inches too high and 3 inches to the right, so I needed a couple more.

Good luck with tne new rifle !

Morten

Morten,
I might decide to take it to Africa this year-that is if I go.The recoil of the 450 nitro will be a welcome change from both the 500 and the Lott.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that Double Rifle Snobbery is alive and well; I expect nothing less. But realize that everyone can't buy a $50K Westley Richards. But I will take your bet and put my Searcy up against any other, and I didn't start doing this yesterday.
Let the man enjoy his rifle, even though you might not like him. Threads like this, whilst certainly not new, are not helpful.
And Mr Shoot; I do not know you, but have fun with your rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD: No one is being a snob to Searcy rifles. They are giving Shootaway the very business he often gives them personally.

They are sad that a Searcy will once again be subjected to the master table top gunsmith.

Posts: 11385 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure a couple of comments are directed at the Searcy and not Mr Shoot.
All part of pride of ownership. I get it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must say that of all the open sight rifles I own, the only one that has the windage set dead centre is the Searcy.To me that means a lot.If the windage adjustment is in the middle everything will unriddle!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Butch's rifles are wonderful and I've never heard a bad word about them. Shootway, on the other hand, is a different story. Numerous times he has written of my rifles as garbage and that I'm the garbage collector. I don't take it personally as he treats everyone on AR with his contempt. I was having a bit of fun, posting a pic as he has done to me, but never a thought to Butch or his rifles.

Shootaway has been invited to Alaska for our double shoot but he snubs us. That's OK as if he did come, the double rifle men in Alaska would be arguing without end as to whom he stayed with up here.

Again, dcpd, no snobbery here except to give a shot to someone who deserves it and far more. If my post offended you, you have my sincere apology.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only mention was the gentlemen who put his rifle up,against Shootaway’s Searcy.

You may be right. I read into all the post Shootaway has made in the past damning everyone else’s rifles in uplifting his.

In sort if you cannot take it, then do not dish it.

Posts: 11385 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dishing out crap and busting balls is allot of fun, it’s part of what makes us men. George is a big boy he can take it and give it. I always find it embarrassing on forums when people start apologizing to each other. Too polite barf Let’s get over ourselves and have some fun.

I love that about AR

Cal I loved the garbage truck clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD
My comments were squarely aimed at your comment of
The Searcy being the "best made double rifle made today"

If you qualified your comment ok.
But to paint the whole DR world into that picture is just
a little far fetched I feel.

WR, Purdey Holland etc have been making doubles for a hell of along time.

To claim the Searcy is the best made double on the planet is I feel plain silly.

I have nothing against the Searcy doubles, have seen a few and they seem well regulated,

But again best on the planet!!! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are right, of course. I can't possibly type in all the words needed in my posts to accommodate and explain everyone. Reading between the lines is an art.
So, yes, I still think they are the best DRs, currently made, that I own, value for the money spent, that I have fired, and in my opinion. Any other opinions are accepted as valid; we are an equal opinion opportunity venture.
Embellishments like engraving, etc, are not part of the equation as they have nothing to do with function. Will a $200K Holland and Holland out perform a Searcy? No it won't. In my opinion, not proven, as I do not have an H&H to test. Not talking about Vintage doubles, or appreciation, future value; just performance, as in, reliably shooting accurately and holding up for the life of the current owner. I do have other (now down to ten) double makers, all low end German, French, Italian, and US stuff,, that do perform well. Low end meaning under $15K.
As for offending me, wow, no one could ever offend me. Do not worry about that. I am, and was not, ever, offended.
No time for that drama. After all, all this is a game, a sport, a diversion. No one makes a living off all of this.
Anyway, who cares about my comments?
I have, however, been placed on PM ban lists for some unknown reason. Hey, it's all just my opinion. Yours might vary.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Glad to see that Double Rifle Snobbery is alive and well; I expect nothing less. But realize that everyone can't buy a $50K Westley Richards. But I will take your bet and put my Searcy up against any other, and I didn't start doing this yesterday.
Let the man enjoy his rifle, even though you might not like him. Threads like this, whilst certainly not new, are not helpful.
And Mr Shoot; I do not know you, but have fun with your rifle.

Oh hell,let's just do it,someone organize a DR meet,let's see whose rifle is the best ha ha,it will be fun,let's do this because we all love the sport & shoot DR's,the old DRSS society had a few meets that I attended,fun was had by all didn't matter the brand of rifle,lots of pigs slain as well,Texas is the place to do it.
I do claim the dubious honor of doubling a Searcy 577 NE,I also have two O/U DR's that will outshoot any S x S guns beer
Maybe Chris at Heym is following this thread,it would be a great time to introduce the new guns Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch Searcy is the John Rigby or Harris Holland?? of today.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Side by sides are not double rifles; they are just a break down rifle that someone added another barrel to. (Ok, since I have to explain everything now; that is a lame attempt at humor. I didn't mean it.)
I believe there is already a DR shoot; but I ain't going to Alaska. Although it is much warmer there than here in the Midwest.
Anyway, I have changed my mind; the best double rifle is the Chapuis.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Delusional...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is exactly how I would also describe many posters here.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Ok, I will concede- Without a doubt-

Mr Searcy makes the best double rifle made in Boron,California

and

perhaps the best double rifle made in California.

Shootaway and DCPD should feel better know and enjoy a group hug.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a .470 Rising bite and a .450 in his classic. No, they are not English, Big name doubles but, they shoot and perform just like them. And you can't beat them for the pricing. I'll trust my life to them against Dangerous Game anyday.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1102 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hog breath,

I absolutely agree that everyone is entitled to there opinion.

I read shootaways hunt report on his ele bull hunt with his New Searcy 500

I also know that the gun gave some major problems during the hunt and in fact wasn't
"Shootable" and wouldn't function until it was pulled apart by Rich Tabor and the wood shims that
Were inserted in the stock removed/ modified etc. the report and discussion was
here to be read along with photos of the said"wood shims"
Your comment re shoot and perform just like the English doubles I feel isn't quite correct...

So much for trusting your life with it also.......

I can assure you VC, Heym, WR etc don't use shims in the stock/ action fitting EVER...

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I hope all goes well on your DG safaris.

Cheers

Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
It’s going to be a 450 nitro Classic. I’m happy for you,getting a double rifle is exiting.

I have the 450 NE in my Heym 88. 470 perfomance with less recoil.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Hog breath,

I absolutely agree that everyone is entitled to there opinion.

I read shootaways hunt report on his ele bull hunt with his New Searcy 500

I also know that the gun gave some major problems during the hunt and in fact wasn't
"Shootable" and wouldn't function until it was pulled apart by Rich Tabor and the wood shims that
Were inserted in the stock removed/ modified etc. the report and discussion was
here to be read along with photos of the said"wood shims"
Your comment re shoot and perform just like the English doubles I feel isn't quite correct...

So much for trusting your life with it also.......

I can assure you VC, Heym, WR etc don't use shims in the stock/ action fitting EVER...

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I hope all goes well on your DG safaris.

Cheers

Nick

I guess you are referring to a picture I posted of my 500NE.Those pieces of wood were not shims.They were pieces of the part of the stock which the cross bolt passes through-the weakest part of the stock.IMO the main stock screw was loose and there was movement which caused those pieces to break off and jam underneath the lever mech....which opens the action.IMO that is no big deal.I've since tightened down that screw and used loctite-problem solved.
That being my first double,I was scared to remove the stock from the barrelled action thinking it might lose its regulation.I found out that it does not lose its regulation and shoots to the same POI.
If there is anything bad about anyone of my rifles I am not scared to say it and share it.
On the other hand if it works well I will share that too.True I have not owned other doubles.I've heard worst things about other makes.There is a famous PH who you know who had his Heym 500NE stock crack on him.
About Searcy rifles-they have a reputation for being well regulated and very accurate.I can tell you too that they point like a dream.
Furthermore,about Richard and my rifle.I will not go into detail but Richard once tried to contact Butch to buy a rifle.I believe Butch was off and Rich had problems contacting him.Richard liked my Searcy so much that he was begging for me to sell it to him...to which I declined Wink
My 500NE might not be the fanciest of doubles but so far it has shown me to be a good rifle and good rifles are hard to come by.
My goal is not to have a better rifle than others but just piece of mind.